Daily Check-In January 20, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily Check-In January 20, 2020

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. Been awake since 2:00 AM.. No chance of going back to sleep. I slept for maybe 2 hours.. gggrrr.

It is in the teen's here with a slight chance of snow. I actually prefer cold weather over summer.

Not much going on here other than I am going to have to do something about my gastritis. Every time I go off of the medication (per Drs order) the stomach pains return within a few days and seem to be worse than the last time. I need to do more investigation in to what kind of foods I can tolerate. I have been just using up what I have on hand but I think I am going to have to upgrade to more expensive foods to heal my stomach. I am looking in to the "leaky gut" diet. My brother swears by it. There are 5 different kinds of leaky guts and I think I have figured out what kind I have. It will be a big investment in foods that are more costly but if I can get better health wise it will be worth it.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check-In January 20, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

I am so sorry to hear that you are having tummy problems, Janet. I hope you find a solution soon.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Like Janet, I just can't seem to stay asleep. I had been tossing and turning for awhile, and so just decided to get up and start my day a bit earlier than usual. I wonder if that means I will be finished earlier????

Monday and a long list of household tasks await. I seem to have followed in mom's footsteps as to what chores to do on what days. I am proud of myself though as I have moved mop floors from Monday to Tuesday. Now I almost do as much on Tuesday (though sometime there is no mending or ironing to be done) as on Monday. Makes me smile.

I forgot to do my row of knitting on the temperature blanket yesterday. I will need to do two rows at some point today.

I think I may have got myself in a bit of a bind. An old teacher friend (meaning I have known her since she started teaching not that she is old) asked if I still did a lot of sewing. Of course without thinking I said yes. Now I will be fixing a weighted blanket. Actually, I will be making 2 blankets out of one. Wish me luck. I did request that she do the cutting as she would know the measurements she wanted.

The usual frugal habits will apply here again today. Though since the weather has, or will be warming up today could be a good day to make a trip to the second hand store with the donations I have accumulated so far this month. Means I may as well go in and see if there is anything I can use in my quest to organize the home a bit better, or any lovely glass jars to put in my DIY care products that I will be making hopefully within the next few months.

It seems like I never add anything new to my list of frugal habits. Is the old saying true that you can't teach an old dog new tricks or is it just I can not find something that fits our lifestyle? That is something I need to figure out.

The cost of groceries seems to be going up and up. I know that part is because of the winter months and we need to import more into our stores. Yet meat itself is going sky high and we have plenty of our own cattle, pigs and chickens they do not need importing. People blame the carbon tax, but that isn't totally the only thing that has raised costs sometimes by a $1.00 or more a pound. Sales are becoming fewer as well and not always on items we need or want. It could be that eventually I will be traveling to one of the other grocery stores in the city (something I really don't want to do as we get money back at our coop). I will give it a few months and see what the budget looks like.

Shania got very ill last night before I toddled off to bed (perhaps why I did not sleep well) she seems to be resting nicely right now, but is a bit off her food. Hopefully things improve as the day progresses. Poor thing does not weigh much to begin with and can't afford to lose any more (she never puts the weight back on).

Supper this evening will be the roast chicken meal I planned for yesterday. We had the pork chop meal planned for today instead. Just pulled the old switcheroo.

Today I am grateful for the warming up period we will have this week.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning Janet and all,

It is a chilly Monday morning here in Florida with the coldest weather of the season just a day away. Today, hubs has a dentist appointment and later I have a mammogram appointment.

Yesterday, I worked in the yard collecting leaves and dumping them on my plants in hopes of shielding them somewhat from the predicted freezing cold tomorrow night. By noon, the weather was deteriorating with some spitting rain, so I came inside. I was tired, really tired. Then I got cold despite the warm house. I could tell my body was done. I had a glass of lemon water to ward off a cold. I put on 3 layers of clothes and went to bed. The rest of the day sort of faded away. Too tired to even make hubs a batch of chili. Just burgers, then went back to bed.

Today, I feel better, but I can tell there isn't much in the energy reserves. Appointments make me tired, so I am not sure what else will get done. I would like a miraculous energy rally, but.....

If there is an energy rally, I want to put up the rest of the winter window coverings on the northeast windows. While hubs is in the dentist, I will go to the nearby Walmart and get some groceries. I am not sure I want to plan for anything more given how tired I am.

Today, I am grateful that I was able to get a leaf blanket on many of my plants before I ran out of energy. Have a good day everyone.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning folks,

Well, never say never. I have been saying that I really had no interest in buy a place to live. I like the convenience of renting. But yesterday I was presented an offer that I have to consider. My DDIL's Grandmother owns a condo that she has been renting out. Her long time renter (12 years) just moved out of town. It is near DS1's house, closer to my office and further away from my parents. It is 2 bed, 2 bath. Built about 1990. C is going to remodel it. And C does things nicely. I am cash poor, so will not have the ability to save up for a down payment for the next 2 years as my extra $$ is earmarked for DS2's education. So DDIL texted me last night that C is willing to do a lease to own option for me. She quoted a rent amount that is about 2/3rd of what I pay in rent.

I was able to find a similar unit in the complex for sale and the asking price is reasonable. The down side, no garage. I was requested to let C know by April. I have to seriously consider it. They understand that my current lease goes until September.

IN frugal practice, or rather not, I took a trip to Target and picked up some random items and spent way more than I even had a notion. Plan, Maggie, Plan. I got a new yoga mat with a carrier, a t-shirt, paper towels...

Have a great day,
Maggie

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

mbrudnic wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:26 am
Good Morning folks,

Well, never say never. I have been saying that I really had no interest in buy a place to live. I like the convenience of renting. But yesterday I was presented an offer that I have to consider. My DDIL's Grandmother owns a condo that she has been renting out. Her long time renter (12 years) just moved out of town. It is near DS1's house, closer to my office and further away from my parents. It is 2 bed, 2 bath. Built about 1990. C is going to remodel it. And C does things nicely. I am cash poor, so will not have the ability to save up for a down payment for the next 2 years as my extra $$ is earmarked for DS2's education. So DDIL texted me last night that C is willing to do a lease to own option for me. She quoted a rent amount that is about 2/3rd of what I pay in rent.

I was able to find a similar unit in the complex for sale and the asking price is reasonable. The down side, no garage. I was requested to let C know by April. I have to seriously consider it. They understand that my current lease goes until September.

IN frugal practice, or rather not, I took a trip to Target and picked up some random items and spent way more than I even had a notion. Plan, Maggie, Plan. I got a new yoga mat with a carrier, a t-shirt, paper towels...

Have a great day,
Maggie

Maggie good luck on your decision about the condo..A lot to consider.
Janet Alliesmama