Daily Check-In January 20, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
DianeMNurse

Re: Daily Check-In January 20, 2020

Post by DianeMNurse »

Up early to get some things organized before classes restart tmrw. Have a big crock pot of potato soup going which will be easy meals. My kitchen smells wonderfully of onion, garlic, & hot peppers! Heading out after lunch to help with a book fair in honor of MLK day, & then a group of friends are getting together to go over our 20 for 20 goals- on Jan. 20. How fun is that?! We planned it before Xmas & will help each other stay accountable. Chilly in my NE TN neck of the woods. Have a lovely day!

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:48 am
Florida Cat your dinner sounds like fun.

I worked with some people who escaped from Cuba. She was a Dr and he was an athletic coach. When they saw how things were going in Cuba they sent their children to live with family in the US. They were stuck there for years. He finally was able to escape when his athletic team was attending a competition in another country. He asked for asylum and finally made his way to the US. She was trapped for a few more years and then she escaped on a small leaky boat with some other refugees. It was quite scary how they were picked up by the US Coast Guard and transferred from their small vessel to the Coast Guard vessel. We just do not always appreciate what we have here until we hear the horror stories that other people have had to endure in their home countries.
My friend (who is a few years older than me) came in the 50s before Castro took power but, as with your co-workers, they could see how things were going. Her dad and uncle who were both builders came first. Florida was building like crazy in the 50s. Her aunt who is in her 90s in a nursing home here still speaks mostly Spanish and my friend has to translate a lot - even though we have a lot of Spanish speakers in Florida.

Both my Spanish teachers in middle school were Cuban refugees. One had been a judge in Cuba. I don’t know their stories because as a teen I was oblivious.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

DianeMNurse wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:59 am
Up early to get some things organized before classes restart tmrw. Have a big crock pot of potato soup going which will be easy meals. My kitchen smells wonderfully of onion, garlic, & hot peppers! Heading out after lunch to help with a book fair in honor of MLK day, & then a group of friends are getting together to go over our 20 for 20 goals- on Jan. 20. How fun is that?! We planned it before Xmas & will help each other stay accountable. Chilly in my NE TN neck of the woods. Have a lovely day!
Sounds like fun! Maybe you will share some of your 20 in 20 goals here if you would like to do so.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

DianeMNurse wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:59 am
Diane your soup sounds so yummy.

Also your 20 for 20 goals on the 20th sounds really cool.

Good luck with your classes.
Janet Alliesmama

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Morning y'all. For the deep South, it's downright chilly here (25°F). When I opened the back door to let Audrey out I was greeted by a blast of cold air. Like some others, I slept poorly last night and kept waking up cold. DH is like a furnace but even he got a bit cool last night. Tonight I'm going to put another blanket on my side of the bed.

DH is off work today for MLK Day, and he's enjoying his three day weekend. VP Pence was in Memphis yesterday. He toured the Civil Rights Museum where Dr. King was killed, then visited an African American Church of God in Christ (COGIC). I think most people expected him to keep a political agenda out of the day and just pay respect and honor MLK's life and work, but of course not. He turned the church visit into a stump speech. Disgusting. I think if churches want to spout and promote politics from the pulpit, then they should be taxed. Period. What ever happened to separation of church and state?

Sorry, rant over. I feel wrung out today and nerves all jangley. DG Florida, I can relate to you -- and I hope you feel better soon. I think I'm going to take it easy -- sit on the couch and watch Netflix. I just have no energy to do anything productive. We have leftover beef stew for supper. I do have some ground beef in the fridge that I need to wrap in freezer paper and put up. But house is clean for the most part so I'm going to relax.

Janet, I hope you can get your food figured out and that it makes a big difference in how you're feeling. And Jackie, I hope Shania is feeling better. Having a sick fur baby is hard. They can't tell us what hurts.
Patty

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Florida if you like Secret City also watch the code. The star of that show is in Mindhunter. Secret city that is. Personally I am finishing Schitts Creek while waiting for season 2 of Altered Carbon.

Today I dont need to leave the house as such but I am going to go get on the recumbent cross trainer for half an hour and grab freezer bags for soup I made last night and eggs and bagels and such.

Other than that I plan to sew and knit and do a quick swipe of both bathrooms. I may spend a little desk time, who knows.
http://richlyretired.blogspot.com