Daily Check-In January 23, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check-In January 23, 2020

Post by mbrudnic »

Hey everyone,

Logics, I have an Uncle with kidney disease and diabetes who was just placed in a skilled care facility. My Aunt could not take care of him anymore. He was hospitalized for over 60 days before Christmas. My Mom is amazed he made it home. But both his daughter and sister do not see that the end is near. My Aunt (a nurse) called my Mom several times over the hospitalization saying it looked like she may have to make the "big decision", but he pulled through. Last I heard they had no legal paperwork drawn up. No will, POA, etc.

Not much new today. Yoga again tonight. I have been trying to research lease to own agreements. I may also call the credit union regarding a no-down mortgage. How much extra is the interest rate...

Have a great day,
Maggie
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Thank you, Jackie, Mack, Allies, Florida.

mbrud: same with my sister and her husband. They have none of the legal stuff either. BIL is through the surgery OK, but extent of any possible damage won't be able to be determined until he wakes up and they get him talking.
Last edited by LogicsHere on Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning.. We had ice earlier and my computer satellite was iced over and I could not get on line. Then around 9:00 AM it warmed up a few degrees and was able to get on line. Now we have lovely big fluffy snow flakes. I love watching snow fall!

Today I turned 75! That is three quarters of century! Whoa..lol. Considering my medical history I am doing amazingly well for any age.

I saw my new ophthalmologist yesterday. I like her a lot. My eye Drs office has changed hands so many times and I did not like the last Dr I had. Anyway she is going to be my new and permanent eye Dr. I do have cataracts, which I was aware of, and they need to be removed some time in the near future. So I will be seeing a cataract surgeon next week. From what I hear from friends and family the surgery is a breeze compared to back in the olden days so lets get this over with as soon as possible.

Yesterday after the eye Dr appointment my aide and I stopped at a local family restaurant to celebrate our birthdays. We always go Dutch Treat but it is nice to go out and enjoy a meal and causal conversation. Then we stopped at Ruler which was just down the road. I needed some fresh food items and bird food. Then home to unload things, rest for a while, and then after she left I went back in to town. I went to the bank and Petco. Teddi would run out of his fresh dog food during the coming week-end and I did not want to have to mush in to town to get him more. We are expecting a repeat of this weather tomorrow in to Saturday. After Petco swung by Big Lots to see if they had any rice wine vinegar. They did so great. Also looked around and found some other food items that I will need for my leaky gut diet ie coconut water and jasmine rice to name a few things. Then I decided to be bad and went by KFC to buy some chicken for my dinner last night and have leftovers for lunch today. I figured the lunch I had was not gluten free so may as well eat KFC and endure the same symptom's all at one time. Also sort of a last meal that has gluten. I do not have celiac disease like Gayle and Sandi but I do react to gluten by sever itching and muscle pain which I medicate with generic benadryl and tylenol.

Came home and found a package in my mailbox from my nephew in Tennessee. He had sent me some books for my birthday. Last year one of the books was the first in the series of Game of Thrones and this year it was the second book in the series. Also a book about Elizabeth the I of England by Allison Weir. A favorite subject of mine written by one of my favorite authors. We have always related well on our love of history and fact or fiction enjoy reading about them. When he lived here we use to trade our books back and forth. Then to top things off my niece in Arizona called to wish me an early happy birthday. She would be unable to talk to me today due to her schedule. We talked for hours like we always do. We consider each other BFF. I am just 13 years older than she is and we are actually closer than my DS and I ever were.

So today home alone but happy and content. I did open a birthday card from my brother and DSIL this morning. He had given it to me in Dec at Christmas time but it had "Do No Open Until January 23rd." There was an extremely generous cash gift inside. I had told them no more presents but cash is good...lol. He had anticipated being in Mexico for my birthday but due to his DD needing him here he is not going to Mexico this year.
Janet Alliesmama
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

alliesmama4 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:26 am
Today I turned 75! That is three quarters of century! Whoa..lol. Considering my medical history I am doing amazingly well for any age.
Happy birthday. I'm not far behind you . . . a bit scary isn't it?
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

LogicsHere wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:33 am Happy birthday. I'm not far behind you . . . a bit scary isn't it?
Logic's thank you. It sometimes seems unreal how old I am especially with all of my medical problems however I really do have a good life. My parents lived in to their 80's and were very active almost up until the day they died. They did not linger that long or decline slowly like some of us do. One of my Aunt's died at 93 and despite having had her own medical problems she too was very active and only spent 3 weeks in a nursing home having lived on her own up until then.

Over the years I saw so many of my patients and how they reacted to what was going on. Some were negative and some positive. I decided that no matter the circumstances being positive is the best way to go. Negative just drags you down. I do feel sorry for your DS and her DH. They seem to have a really rough life but have they always been that way? One of my co-workers once told me she hated me.. Then she laughed.. She said, "You are such a Polly Anna. Always finding the positive in any situation I wish I could be more like you."
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

alliesmama4 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:26 am Good morning.. We had ice earlier and my computer satellite was iced over and I could not get on line. Then around 9:00 AM it warmed up a few degrees and was able to get on line. Now we have lovely big fluffy snow flakes. I love watching snow fall!

I saw my new ophthalmologist yesterday. I like her a lot. My eye Drs office has changed hands so many times and I did not like the last Dr I had. Anyway she is going to be my new and permanent eye Dr. I do have cataracts, which I was aware of, and they need to be removed some time in the near future. So I will be seeing a cataract surgeon next week. From what I hear from friends and family the surgery is a breeze compared to back in the olden days so lets get this over with as soon as possible.

Yesterday after the eye Dr appointment my aide and I stopped at a local family restaurant to celebrate our birthdays. We always go Dutch Treat but it is nice to go out and enjoy a meal and causal conversation. Then we stopped at Ruler which was just down the road. I needed some fresh food items and bird food. Then home to unload things, rest for a while, and then after she left I went back in to town. I went to the bank and Petco. Teddi would run out of his fresh dog food during the coming week-end and I did not want to have to mush in to town to get him more. We are expecting a repeat of this weather tomorrow in to Saturday. After Petco swung by Big Lots to see if they had any rice wine vinegar. They did so great. Also looked around and found some other food items that I will need for my leaky gut diet ie coconut water and jasmine rice to name a few things. Then I decided to be bad and went by KFC to buy some chicken for my dinner last night and have leftovers for lunch today. I figured the lunch I had was not gluten free so may as well eat KFC and endure the same symptom's all at one time. Also sort of a last meal that has gluten. I do not have celiac disease like Gayle and Sandi but I do react to gluten by sever itching and muscle pain which I medicate with generic benadryl and tylenol.

Came home and found a package in my mailbox from my nephew in Tennessee. He had sent me some books for my birthday. Last year one of the books was the first in the series of Game of Thrones and this year it was the second book in the series. Also a book about Elizabeth the I of England by Allison Weir. A favorite subject of mine written by one of my favorite authors. We have always related well on our love of history and fact or fiction enjoy reading about them. When he lived here we use to trade our books back and forth. Then to top things off my niece in Arizona called to wish me an early happy birthday. She would be unable to talk to me today due to her schedule. We talked for hours like we always do. We consider each other BFF. I am just 13 years older than she is and we are actually closer than my DS and I ever were.

So today home alone but happy and content. I did open a birthday card from my brother and DSIL this morning. He had given it to me in Dec at Christmas time but it had "Do No Open Until January 23rd." There was an extremely generous cash gift inside. I had told them no more presents but cash is good...lol. He had anticipated being in Mexico for my birthday but due to his DD needing him here he is not going to Mexico this year.
Happy, Happy Birthday Janet! Enjoy the snow.

Yes, positivity is the best way. I often have to work at it but I’m getting better. I told my doctor last week that I was feeling so much better and content. She told me to be happy.