Daily Check-in January 25, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
DianeMNurse

Re: Daily Check-in January 25, 2020

Post by DianeMNurse »

littlemiss63 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:14 pm You know I have been wondering about Gayle, have I missed a post of how she's doing with this last chemo treatment.

Someone else that I thought about that we've not seen in awhile is Aunt Bridget and JustMom. I know that JustMom is doing ok as I check in on her blog from time to time. Clem, you are the one who has the memory of an elephant. Who was the young woman who was building the underground house and paying for it as they went? They lived in either a cabin or trailer while they were doing this.

Janet, may be the Mayor of our little village, but Clem has to be our Memory Guru.
Lol! Perfect- we now have a Mayor & a Historian!!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good news regarding the furnace. I blew a fuse although the tech said it should not have. He gave me reasons why.. He did an entire check inside and out and found a wire in the heat pump outside was touching another wire. He wrapped it and we both hope that was the main cause. It was $209.00 not bad considering how long he was here and he did a careful check of all of the wiring. The furnace is no longer under warranty and the repair tech was from a company that my brother uses. By the time I ran in to town and back my brother had already called and left a message to check on me and offering help with any financial needs. He really is good to me. However the refund check I deposited was almost enough to cover the bill and I had enough in my checking account to make up the difference. So I get to keep my birthday money from my brother to spend on something fun. Yippee!!

I think someone must have fed the Gremlins at my house last night. I decided a nice warm bowl of oatmeal would be good before I headed out in to the cold weather. Very simple routine making it and throwing it in to the microwave. Mean while I was fixing Teddi's breakfast. I cut off a slice of his fresh food and then dice it up to be nuked to take the chill off of it. I heard the microwave beep so removed the oatmeal without looking at it. When I did final start to put the sweetener in I realized the oatmeal was not fully cooked. I checked the timer on the microwave and it had only cooked half of the time set. So put the oatmeal back in to finish cooking. Then I put Teddi's food in and it did the same thing stopping half way through the cooking time. I unplugged it to restart it. I have not doubled checked on it yet to see if it is still doing that. When I returned home I had a telephone message from my brother regarding my furnace. He gave me the number of the company he uses. I called the number and nothing. I redialed it again and nothing. So I called my brother and he gave me an alternate number and nothing. I dialed again and the company answered. They said they had numerous calls from me on their caller ID but whenever they picked up the phone I was not on the line.WEIRD! Also while writing out my check the tech and I were chit chatting about Teddi and I wrote the wrong information in and had to write another check. Thank goodness I caught the error before handing the check to the tech.What a day.. I hope the Gremlins have moved on to some other place.

Like a lot of people the tech said Teddi's name suits him he is like a little Teddy Bear.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

LogicsHere wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:35 am Janet,

So sorry to hear about your heating issue. I know things will work out and when there is a heat emergency like yours, the service is usually quite prompt.
The company was very prompt. He tech called me and told me he would be at my house in 19 min.. The funny thing is he was actually at his Uncles house which was only about 5 miles from my house. He said he actually had to go back to his house to get his work truck.My brother has had nothing but good praises for this company and their cost has always been very reasonable.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

LogicsHere wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:59 am Hello all.

Cloudy here today with rain expected. Won't complain because there is no threat of the white stuff again for at least a week.

Things with my sister are so hard right now. I thought seriously about going down, but since we are on the phone so many times a day, I thought it best to hold onto the money to use as a day-to-day expense arises that she might have a problem paying, i.e. car insurance, cable, etc.

She is so depressed and overwhelmed. She went to see him yesterday and said he looks so bad. They have him drugged because something was also triggered where he was pinching people and even accidentally kicked someone in the head. They also have his hands tied as they are afraid he'll rip out the IV. I feel so bad for her and sorry for myself because there really isn't much I can say or do to make her feel better because it isn't going to change the situation. When I planned for my budget back in December, I took the two hospitalizations as a sign of trouble and put in the added expense to help cover her for a while. It's not that I'm truly happy about it because her financial position was created by themselves, but I can't let her find herself homeless.

Other than that, I'm doing OK, but could be better. Wish I could feel a little happier but her situation has been draining me emotionally as well because I have no one to talk to and want to scream after listening to her for the umpteenth time complaining about the same things over and over. And as I said, if I'm home and see that it is her calling I can't not pick up the phone. I can't do that to her.

Finally, between phone calls, got to work a bit on one of my web sites. It felt really good. Would also like to find the time to pull out my accordion and start "learning" it again. Learning to read the "bass notes" of the music is the more difficult part. That's not to say that I still can't play some of it, because I can. I think it would be fun.

I didn't feel like eating much last night after listening to my sister all day so I had a bowl of cereal with a banana. Hopefully today I will find myself in the mood to make some spaghetti with meatballs or one of my mini meatloafs which is basically 1 very large meatball LOL.

Well, going to go for now. Have a wonderful day.
Logic's so sorry to hear what you and your DS are going through. It is very stressful for you in regard to your concern for her emotional problems as well as having to plan to help her with her finances. You have a double burden. Keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

rinty wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:29 am Logics, talk to us. ((((hugs )))) This is incredibly draining for you, you are acting in the mother role not the sister. She is very lucky to have you ( and not just for cash ) but for the emotional support you are offering.

Very dull, cold and grey here. We have DS so BOOYAH on that score. He arrived with an open sore on his back which is no good for my blood pressure.

As an aside BEFORE having a disabled child I never used foul language ( just thought I would drop that one in ;) )

Bad news re his referral at hospital. A longer wait time than I feel is reasonable. It also brought back memories of the GAME of " prove you need X THEN we'll help " of days of yore. Sometimes I do not have the energy. I do , but I also have The Rage so he will be seen sooner but I am BLOODY ANNOYED. For the record being in pain at the level he is means his challenging behaviour is at an extremely high level, meaning his entire LIFE is being curtailed as he cannot go out as his behaviours are so erratic.

So.

Lost nearly 10 pounds so hurrah for sensible eating. I made one gym trip. I am not paying £40 a month to sweat. I can go one a week as a FREE guest with someone else so I'll do that. And walk the dog more.

Work is ridiculous. We were told we weren't understaffed , in fact I would say we were CHIDED that we weren't uerstaffed. Yesterday several fights broke out........

For seasonal décor I spent a huge £1.40 on some pots of tete a tete mini daffodils and repotted them into four vintage china tea-cups, I saw the suggestion on a blog. The dresser has been redone , its pretty, lots of cut glass and vintage china in pastels and some 1930s pottery in soft greens .

Saw 1917. Its okay, wait til its on TV.

The new look forum has MORE pop ups and screen bouncing around so no improvement IMO.

Housework and laundry done. DH has spent the day in the garden cutting back stuff and emptying the greenhouse.

Frustrated trying to hand our charity shop bags to an actual charity shop. This is good stuff BTW that they could actually sell. I 'll try one more time then I will dump it all, I just want it gone.

No exciting menus. We do both like to cook and fiddle in the kitchen so we are eating well, never eaten so much fruit and veg ;) Today we are having our first "diet " dessert.......simple enough to make and will USE IT UP that low fat custard I bought for trifles.

Janet sorry for your hassle x
Rinty I am so sorry to hear what Tom is going through. I hope you can get them to move forward quickly on what he needs.I can understand your rage when you see a loved one suffering you want action NOW!

Kudos on the weight loss.

I remember when we complained we were overworked and needed more help. They hired a company to do a study. We were working at 110 % capacity. Still did not hire any more help. I just do not get how they cannot see the need. When they have people that go the extra mile they let you work yourself to death.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:58 am Janet, I think it would be a very good idea for you to have one credit card just for emergencies.
I know I should get a credit card but I am still hesitant. Going to develop an emergency fund this year. A big one. Although my brother is very kind and any time he hears I have a need he calls to offer assistance. I like to try to handle things on my own but know if things are too far out of my reach he will help. He has the funds to do so.
Janet Alliesmama