For those of you who DO like to socialize

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
randamax

For those of you who DO like to socialize

Post by randamax »

I thought it was really interesting to read everyone's responses to the thread "Do you consider yourself social?" I guess I just sort of naturally assumed that, because so many are very involved and post often, most of you would be more social. I was surprised to find out that a good number of you shy away from socializing in real life. Life is just full of surprises!

For me, I do find that I am somewhere betwixt and between on the issue. While I really enjoy my alone time, because I have so much of it, I find that I enjoy socializing more than I used to. That's not to say that I want to do it all the time, because I certainly don't! I enjoy my own company and that of my husband and am very content when it's just us. We have a great time together, even if it's just a night in cooking together or reading stories to one another -- yes, we really do this...and we both love it! But now that I have more time to actually enjoy it, I'm finding that I do really enjoy both planning and attending social events.

Okay - I admit it...I really, really LOVE the planning aspect of it! I enjoy coming up with an idea and then creating the entire event from start to finish. Food, music, decorations, themes...I love it all! I can make a party out of just about anything - just ask my friends! LOL

My latest idea is really FUN! I thought I'd pass it along - maybe it's something you'd like to try within your circle of friends. It's frugal, super easy and everyone seems to be enjoying it. We'll try it for a while and see how it goes.

As some of you may remember, I joined a puzzle swap in my community. It's a fun way to get new puzzles and meet some like-minded people in my area. Since joining, I've become OBSESSED with jigsaw puzzles. I've been collecting them at my thrift stores every time I make my rounds. In my travels, I payed no more than $3.00 for a puzzle - most of them 1000 piece puzzles - and I've paid as little as fifty cents. Most of them are in nearly brand new condition, probably worked only once. A BUNCH of them have never even been opened. I've gone online and priced them out and most of the brands go for anywhere between $16.99 at Puzzle Warehouse, to $30.00 for some of the fancier graphic arts puzzles. GACK! I would never pay that kind of money for something I can swap out for free or find at a thrift store!

So. I've created a "Pizza, Puzzles & Puccini" night. I send a free online invitation to some friends, Kevin and I supply the venue, the pizza, and the music, and everyone brings salads, desserts and drinks to share. We buy a couple of take-and-bake pizzas from Aldi, gear the music towards the subject of the puzzle (so far we've done a rock music puzzle collage and listened to classic rock, and a kind of funky art deco puzzle and listened to some jazz), and set up a puzzle on the dining room table. Everyone chats while we eat and then it's puzzle time. It's a fun way to socialize because even if some of the people there don't know each other, everyone has the puzzle in common. I will say that we have yet to finish the entire puzzle, but that's fine, no one seems to mind. It's just fun getting together for a relaxing evening with friends.

If you give it a try, let us know how it works out for you!
Dgflorida

Re: For those of you who DO like to socialize

Post by Dgflorida »

Wow! That is great. I know a woman who is just like you although she plans dances. She enjoys doing it and everyone who attends have a wonderful time. Thank you for being the person who helps others enjoy safe and genuine social experiences.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Randa, I think that's great. It's wonderful that you have friends who share the same interests as you, and I'm sure that your parties are a big hit. DH enjoys jigsaw puzzles; me, not so much, but the problem around here is that he can't leave one out on a table because Hobbes also enjoys puzzles. :lol:

Also, I think it's lovely that you and your husband read to each other.
Patty
randamax

Post by randamax »

chocolite wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:10 pm Randa, I think that's great. It's wonderful that you have friends who share the same interests as you, and I'm sure that your parties are a big hit. DH enjoys jigsaw puzzles; me, not so much, but the problem around here is that he can't leave one out on a table because Hobbes also enjoys puzzles. :lol:

Also, I think it's lovely that you and your husband read to each other.
You have a Hobbes?!!! I did, too - for 14 years. Now he is one of my canine angels. Oh how I loved him so! I got him when he was about 6 weeks old. Such a sweetie pie he was. I still miss him every single day. Enjoy your Hobbes!!
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Randa, that sounds really fun! I wish the vegan supper club I used to belong to was still active. Those were fun get-togethers.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

We do. Hobbes is our kitty and Audrey is our dog.
Patty