Daily Check in February 4, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check in February 4, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Getting us started. Off to get coffee.

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in February 4, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Shania seems like more her old self right now. Hubby figures she will go through more and more of those bad days. I do have an appointment with the vet for later this week so we will see what is happening.

I did manage to get my entire list of chores accomplished yesterday. I still have the workbook from the new Lenten Bible Study to look at (did get the DVD's and the first book skimmed through over the last couple of days) and that will be done at some point today. I would like to give the set back to our main leader today.

Our road was cleared yesterday from its build up of snow and ice. My goodness there was a lot of it. Took the grader/snow plow 8 pushes down the entire road to get it reasonably cleared. Now I won't be walking outside until the smooth as glass surface gets roughed up a bit.

Another couple of drawers were cleaned out yesterday as well. I managed another 4 items into the donation bag. I may get another drawer and part of the closet done before I haul the donations in. I want the bags out of the hallway and I can always start a new bag to finish things off.

Frugal happenings here are the usual. I do plan on baking some bread this morning, and perhaps getting some extra cleaning done as well along with my regular chore list. I do have a feeling that my friend will be giving me a call to come for coffee at some point this morning. Free coffee and a visit to break up my chores is always welcome.

This afternoon I will be cutting more of the t-shirt fabric given to me, and of course working on my knitting. Really just doing the usual putzing trying to get projects finished. So many projects and not enough time to do them.

Walking for exercise, though because of the slippery conditions I will be doing so inside for the foreseeable future.

Opening the drapes to let in the sunshine and use the solar heat to keep the house warm.

Meals made at home with what is on hand, using up whatever and whenever.

So you see, just a regular day here on the Canadian prairies.

Supper this evening will be something made with leftover ham from the freezer (just one of 6 packages that I managed to get from our roast ham meal on Sunday). Not exactly sure what this package will become (should use up some more potatoes as they are going soft in the cold room) but rest assured there will be even more leftovers to munch on whatever I choose.

Watching the sunrise while drinking coffee brings me joy.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Good morning Jackie and all,
Had a broken tooth pulled yesterday and grafted for an implant. Laying a little low today.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

ChristmasTrees wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:23 am
Good morning Jackie and all,
Had a broken tooth pulled yesterday and grafted for an implant. Laying a little low today.
I do hope you are not in too much pain. Lay low, recuperate, and good luck on the implant.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Still have about 2 hours before limo picks me up for the airport. Have been trying to find a video of the SkyConnect train at the Tampa Airport that I need to take to get to the place where I can pick up an express bus to where my sister lives. The limo service that used to cover her area, no longer does leaving a lot of people up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I know I can always get a taxi if I need to but $3.00 vs $35 or so is a big difference.

I don't feel comfortable when I don't know where I'm going and no one willing to help or in the same boat as me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can locate it on my own.

I was surprised to find that my boarding pass this time is not TSA Approved which it was 2 months ago. If you don't pay the $85 for a 5 year membership for a background check etc. it's a random roll of the dice. Oh well.

Also Jet Blue has changed their policies again. In order to be able to select your seats when you book your reservation you have to pay the higher prices. If you buy the Basic, you can't select your seat until 24 hours before. They do say that it's not a problem because Jet Blue doesn't overbook their flights, but who is to say.

Had a few things I was going to toss, but thought about my eating at least a "lunch" before I go to the airport. I took my leftover lettuce and combined it with some chopped cheese and apples and I know I'm a bit weird but I also added in some onion for a salad and then I hard-boiled an egg. That should suffice. I have some milk I will finish up also. The only thing I will need to toss is half an onion which isn't too bad.

Well, guess I'd better be going. Have a nice day all.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good chilly Florida morning,

They promise the weather will warm up and maybe even hit 80F by the end of the week. I just don't want to do much when it is cold and I am cold. According to weather sources, there is a 10 degree difference between Tampa, the nearby major city and Central Florida. That probably has to do with proximity to the Bay waters.Interesting information though. Yesterday afternoon warmed a bit and I got some things done. Did some much needed shopping as well.

Today, I will start a yard sweep of leaves. Eggman got his brown turkey fig tree yesterday and I divided the rest of them. I have 3 now and I haven't even started pruning. I haven't started on the Celeste figs yet. Other early spring gardening on going.

I am feeling very good about going to the gym. I only go for 20 minutes twice a week with hubs because 20 minutes on the bike is hub's limit. I will probably have to add on more visits once I feel that hubs is established. Right now, being supportive is most important. Hubs says that the scales are saying he is eating too much. I no longer control what or how much he eats for snacks. Of course, I always recommend more water. I think old dance partner is coming out of his " I am dying" depression phase. So I can back off on phone calls. Military son will be driving his truck down to Florida from his Mississippi base at the end of the month. He will stay one day to assist on getting the truck title transferred. It could be easy or it could be hard.

Yesterday was an excellent call with the estate planning person associated with my brokerage firm. I learned that under the Federal Secure act that went into effect in January traditional IRA transferred to a non spouse(child) must be liquidated within 10 years. Same applies to the Roth IRA, however there is no tax consequence to the child, no capital gains. So it is prudent to move a lot of money to the Roth for estate planning. Broker also made a couple of more suggestions that I like and will act on to defer taxes. Also an educational moment for hubs on assessing end of the year stock gains before December 31. I knew how to do it, so the broker showed him how to do it. He listens better to others than he does to me. He may have misjudged the income this year, but he is smarter now and hopefully won't make the mistake again.

Today, I hope that I will start daily walks with the neighbor again now that the weather is warmer. I hope to get a last trip to Big Bend National Park this May with old dance partner. I like the west Texas desert. It is quiet there. I need to be able to walk miles by then. I am doing 20 minute inclined walking at the gym at a good pace and knee is doing ok. If I keep it up, I hope it lasts a bit. Add in a daily walk would be good.

Today, I am grateful for today. Have a good day everyone.