Daily Check In February 7, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In February 7, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Up early and definitely need coffee. Back in a few.

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In February 7, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Bit chilly here this morning, but as it is winter, and we have not as of yet gotten the day after day of -40C weather, I am a happy person.

Shania seems to be eating well once again, and the medicine is doing what it was supposed to. I think we will be able to stop the one for a bit, or at least stop and see if the problem redevelops. I will also phone the vet and let her know the medicine worked (or seems to have).

So as it is Friday, I hope to get a great deal finished today, as well as blog. I have kind of fallen down on that since Monday of this week. Not a good thing, but I will start up again today. First a frugal Friday post and then tomorrow a lovely long post about the week past.

Hubby went out and bought me a dishwasher yesterday. I guess that it will be in the city by the beginning of March, and probably installed that same day if Hubby has anything to do with it (better either look up a recipe for homemade soap, or buy a few tabs until I get around to making some. I will let you all know if you really do save on water using a dishwasher, or if you save by handwashing.

Grocery shopping yesterday went just okay. I really spent way too much cash, but prices seem to have gone up once again and there really is nothing to be done about that except to use careful shopping practices.

Still very much in use it up mode here. Coupon use is falling due to not being able to use those available, so getting the most bang out of our supplies seems to be the way to go right now. It does seem to be working as well.

The knitted baby dress is coming along. I am really liking how it is turning out. The part I am working on right now should be finished by the end of the week. I think a couple of weeks will see it completed and ready to gift. Heck, I may even do another if there is enough time.

All the t-shirt material is cut into strips for now. I may have some more to do in a month or so (I have a few t-shirts that will be taken apart over the next couple of months). Pretty sure that by the summer I will be starting the rug.

For those of you having trouble with ads popping up I recommend you put adblock on your computer. It is a free program and blocks ads wonderfully. If you are ever on a site that you wish to see ads, then you can simply turn it off and turn it back on when you need to.

Supper tonight will be glace. Something I find reminds me of home (Hubby likes it, but his Mom never made this) and uses very inexpensive items to make a meal. Potatoes, eggs, flour and onions with a bit of butter.

The very short meeting we had last night brought me joy. I could get home early and curl up with a mug of hot chocolate.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. Jackie congrats on the dishwasher. As much as you cook it should help to lighten your work at home.

Not sure I like the yellow background it seems harder on my eyes compared to the blue.

Another cold stay at home day here. I will be cooking. I am making a stir fry of kielbasa, cabbage and onions. I am going to make the leftover mashed potatoes in to potato cakes with onions and cook some of my home grown pears down for dessert. Not much else going on here.

Stay warm where you are living if it cold and hopefully those with flooding in their area you will be safe.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

A chilly morning in Central Florida. The cold front went through last night with high winds and lightening. At least, some of the weather people did not try to hype this up. Winds just like one of our strong summer storms. This should blow a lot of leaves off the trees, make my sweep up effort productive.

I have the yard guy scheduled to clean up the area going to the lake. That area is on a steep bank and my knee can't handle it. It has to get it once a year trim down. I have it planted with ground cover to prevent erosion, but it has some weeds and small trees that need to be plucked out. I also have the pest control people scheduled for their once every other month visit. I am concerned that they are say they are "stretched". I hope that will not mean a reduction in quality.

My military son called last night and said he found his truck title. He wants to give us his truck while he is gone overseas starting in March. It would have been difficult without the title transferred. I also checked with my insurance company regarding the paperwork on my end. Things look to be smooth. I am conflicted about the cost of having 2 vehicles. Certainly not frugal.

Hubs is doing well at the gym. I talked to the manager at our last visit on Wednesday. I want to get him on the treadmill as well as the bike, so that he had options in case the bikes are busy. She had good suggestions and I shared them with hubs. He is, of course, a bit scared to try something new. But at least he is willing.

Meanwhile, I am doing well on the treadmill with my bad knee and tomorrow, I will take a couple of cheap, group dance classes. See how that goes.

This cold front is likely that last one. Monday, I will take down and put away the winter storm windows.

Today, I am grateful that the storm came through without damage. Have a good day all.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Didn't realize it was going to be this chilly today. 30 degrees. I wondered why the heat kept cycling on and off. Duh

The coldest part is about now. Yesterday when i went outside with the pack at 630ish, the water in the pans was not frozen. Went out later about 730ish and it had a thin layer of ice. We should get to the 70s. It is nice and sunny though

The winds were blowing and that caused some power lines to snap out on a country road. That started a fire. It is dry out there too. We are under a burn ban.

Today is Friday. Usually go out to lunch. Will see if that happens today.

Have a good one.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc »

Unread post by Jackielou » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:26 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Bit chilly here this morning, but as it is winter, and we have not as of yet gotten the day after day of -40C weather, I am a happy person.

Shania seems to be eating well once again, and the medicine is doing what it was supposed to. I think we will be able to stop the one for a bit, or at least stop and see if the problem redevelops. I will also phone the vet and let her know the medicine worked (or seems to have).

So as it is Friday, I hope to get a great deal finished today, as well as blog. I have kind of fallen down on that since Monday of this week. Not a good thing, but I will start up again today. First a frugal Friday post and then tomorrow a lovely long post about the week past.

Hubby went out and bought me a dishwasher yesterday. I guess that it will be in the city by the beginning of March, and probably installed that same day if Hubby has anything to do with it (better either look up a recipe for homemade soap, or buy a few tabs until I get around to making some. I will let you all know if you really do save on water using a dishwasher, or if you save by handwashing.

Grocery shopping yesterday went just okay. I really spent way too much cash, but prices seem to have gone up once again and there really is nothing to be done about that except to use careful shopping practices.

Still very much in use it up mode here. Coupon use is falling due to not being able to use those available, so getting the most bang out of our supplies seems to be the way to go right now. It does seem to be working as well.

The knitted baby dress is coming along. I am really liking how it is turning out. The part I am working on right now should be finished by the end of the week. I think a couple of weeks will see it completed and ready to gift. Heck, I may even do another if there is enough time.

All the t-shirt material is cut into strips for now. I may have some more to do in a month or so (I have a few t-shirts that will be taken apart over the next couple of months). Pretty sure that by the summer I will be starting the rug.

For those of you having trouble with ads popping up I recommend you put adblock on your computer. It is a free program and blocks ads wonderfully. If you are ever on a site that you wish to see ads, then you can simply turn it off and turn it back on when you need to.

Supper tonight will be glace. Something I find reminds me of home (Hubby likes it, but his Mom never made this) and uses very inexpensive items to make a meal. Potatoes, eggs, flour and onions with a bit of butter.

The very short meeting we had last night brought me joy. I could get home early and curl up with a mug of hot chocolate.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
How much water you save with your dishwasher will totally depend on how you wash dishes. I you do it the way it was done when we had to go to the well and use 2 dishpans. You will use very little water. But most of us today rinse under running hot water.

For a few months while we lived in Germany the second time. I had only electric water heaters. That you had to turn on an hour before you needed the water. I used to rinse the dishes off, place in a dishpan with a piece of flatware between each plate. When I cooked dinner on the electric stove that had flat plate burners instead of the coil of the US. I had two 10 quart/about a liter stock pots. Both were full of water The minute I took the pots off the stove I put these on the burners. That were now off.

The residual heat was enough to heat the water to a temperature I couldn't put my hands in. I left them there until we finished dinner. I would place the dishes in the dishpan. Then put a few drops of dishwashing liquid in the dishpan. Then pour on the very hot water. I would wash the dishes and rinse in cold water.

I know people who wash the dishes with the water running. This wastes water.

Penny