Frugal Curiousity

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Frugal Curiousity

Post by HappyDaze »

Just curious about some things that others do/don't do - I probably have too much time to think.

1. Do you wear a watch? In this world of phones that tell time, just wondering if anyone still wears a watch?

I do but not every day. It's a large faced gold tone watch that I paid $5 for a Walmart a few years ago.

2. What are you reading? Is it fiction, non fiction, related to frugal living?

My book club is supposed to be reading any book by Toni Morrison. I tried several and I just can NOT get into any of them. So I got a children's book that she wrote from the library called Please Louise - and I will share about that at book club.

3. What is the last thing you got for free - whether you curb-shopped it or someone gave it to you, etc.?

I get freebies all the time - mostly samples of products in the mail. I did curb shop a nice t.v. stand a couple months ago and my parents brought me a container of orange juice when I was sick.

4. What is the last thing you gave away?

I left some coupons on shelves at the grocery store - next to the products they were for.

5. What hobby or hobby do you enjoy and how does it fit into your frugal lifestyle?

I knit - but I only buy 1 skein of yarn a year. I also do a little crafting but I use items that are free or thrifted.

MackerelCat

Re: Frugal Curiousity

Post by MackerelCat »

1. Do you wear a watch? If I leave the house I do. I feel lost without one on! I have two: a Timex Indiglo with a large face bought at a drugstore about 17 years ago. I have replaced the leather band on it numerous times as they wear out. My dress watch is is a Skagen with a silver and rose gold metal band that goes with everything. It was about $70 on sale five or six years ago,

2. What are you reading? I just finished reading the nonfiction "City of Falling Angels" by John Berendt about a suspicious fire at a famous opera house in Venice, Italy, and a wonderful novel titled "Above the Falls" by Ron Rash about the complex life in a small Southern town.

3. What is the last thing you got for free? Two boxes of Christmas cards that did not sell at the grocery store. The front end manager handed them out to customers at the door.

4. What was the last thing you gave away? A bag of shoes to the Salvation Army.

5. What hobby do you enjoy and how does it fit into your frugal lifestyle? I love to read, crochet, sew and cook, and they all fit into a frugal life style. I never could understand hobbies that did not have a real purpose, aside from rock collecting when I was a kid and even that was learning about science.
Mackie

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

No watch - use my phone. In my former military life, due to our career field, jewelry etc could not be worn, so i just stuck with the habit.

Reading a John LeCarre novel - Single and Single

Got free oranges and bananas this morning after our 5K

Gave away a crockpot

Genealogy research and no since i pay for membership to ancestry and other things like that. :shock:

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

clemencia2us wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:16 pm
No watch - use my phone. In my former military life, due to our career field, jewelry etc could not be worn, so i just stuck with the habit.

Reading a John LeCarre novel - Single and Single

Got free oranges and bananas this morning after our 5K

Gave away a crockpot

Genealogy research and no since i pay for membership to ancestry and other things like that. :shock:
Such a fun thing to do - a 5K - good for you!

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

1. Wear a watch everyday, $7.99 at Walmart 2 years ago and one battery replacement.

2. Books, I like to get lost in Regency Romances; not into anything I have to really think about. I use that part of my brain for strategy games or puzzles like Sudoku and logic problems.

3. Last thing for free a free ticket off a lottery ticket previously purchased.

4. Last thing given away unfortunately I don't remember as it was several items of things I hadn't used in decades.

5. Hobbies: reading, designing web sites, sudoku, logic problems, computer digital art, computer games.

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

1. No watch but I have been thinking about getting one. Used to wear a tracker and stopped because I now sit and exercise or water walk.

2. Love Toni Morrison, read mainly police procedurals and thrillers. Non fiction rarely frugal but so.wtimws on minimalism. Downside.

3. Nothing lately as such but I'm trying not to get offers that i used to so...awhile back got a free willing under the seat suitcase from my buy nothing group.

4. I belong to a buy nothing group (have you checked out the non consumer advocate yet) see above. I have given away yarn and Clark's shoes most recently.

5. Quilting. Knitting. Beginning weaving. Drawing and painting. Jewelry making. All can be frugal but I regularly buy inventory so.... also reading, travel, movies, taking classes.