Daily check in February 16, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in February 16, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning. Let's get started.

Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in February 16, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

Another lovely Florida day has begun. I am looking forward to working in my garden today and going to the gym for my knee rehab work on the treadmill. Then grocery shopping next door to the gym.

Yesterday was a productive day. I went to dance class. I have decided to just take one class, samba. I like samba, always have, but old dance partner refused to dance latin correctly. Very frustrating. Now, I can pursue it. Of course, I am out of condition, so it will be awhile before I do anything beyond simple steps.

Later in the day, I redid one of my raised gardens and cut down a sick magnolia tree. I also pulled weeds and transplanted little Mexican sunflowers volunteers to pots. Swept up a few barrels of leaves.

My military son will be coming in a week from now to transfer his truck to me while he is deployed overseas. It turns out that there are no rooms available at a reasonable price in the area. Opening day of spring baseball. We will ask him what he wants us to do when we chat with him today. He will only be here for about 48 hours, so......

As expected, the yard guy did not show up on Friday or Saturday. Like so many, they only work when they need the money. At least, he is somewhat dependable on cutting the grass in the summer. So the weeding along the lake is mostly done. Unfinished work is frustrating, but it is the way it is.

Today, I will fix fish for dinner, the last of the pollack. I really like pollack fish that I can get frozen in a 2 lb bag at Walmart. However, it hasn't been available for some weeks.

Hubs is finished with his pain medicine holiday and the medicine has kicked in. He is walking much better. No cane or wheelchair required. Still, I told him no gym visit today. Maybe by mid week.

Today, I am grateful for another lovely do something day. Have a good Sunday everyone.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It will be another day of getting things done in order to head back to the city tomorrow. I actually managed to get quite a bit accomplished yesterday before petering out and watching television (as well as knitting).

Laundry is started, I plan on taking the library books back today, making 2 apple crisps (one for here and one to take with), gathering together the items we need to take up to DS's to make his life a bit easier, and gathering together what I myself need to keep from going stir crazy (books, knitting, perhaps even some hand sewing things so I can fix buttons or hems), I need to vacuum the house, get the bills sorted to be paid first thing Monday morning, and a myriad of other small chores. Things will be accomplished and I may even get a walk or two in to wear off the nervous energy and get a good nights sleep once again.

DS sent us a text last night. He gave himself a sponge bath (seems he found out it was harder than he thought it would be, tired him right out) and suffered just a slight upswing in his pain level. He said thanks for picking up the grabber thing for him as he would have been butt naked without it..... I guess it is coming in very handy.

He also said thanks for moving the cat dishes to where I moved them as it makes it much easier to feed Eiko now. I also filled a water bottle and his coffee thermos so he would be set for most of yesterday and just have to do the same for today and Monday morning.

His vacuum is broken (he has ordered one on Amazon but it won't be there until sometime Thursday) so I am taking ours up to use. It is very light so will not be a problem.

Also I am taking up a wooden tv tray kind of thing. DS has minimal furniture (finally got a futon just this year) and just one very small end table. No place to put anything within a comfortable reach.

Supper tonight is going to be roast pork, roasted broccoli, roasted celery, and frozen corn. I am not sure if I will add a potato and onion to the roasted veggies or not. We shall see.

Today, being able to help DS brings me joy, and him actually wanting me there brings even more joy.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:28 am
Good morning all,

Another lovely Florida day has begun. I am looking forward to working in my garden today and going to the gym for my knee rehab work on the treadmill. Then grocery shopping next door to the gym.

Yesterday was a productive day. I went to dance class. I have decided to just take one class, samba. I like samba, always have, but old dance partner refused to dance latin correctly. Very frustrating. Now, I can pursue it. Of course, I am out of condition, so it will be awhile before I do anything beyond simple steps.

Later in the day, I redid one of my raised gardens and cut down a sick magnolia tree. I also pulled weeds and transplanted little Mexican sunflowers volunteers to pots. Swept up a few barrels of leaves.

My military son will be coming in a week from now to transfer his truck to me while he is deployed overseas. It turns out that there are no rooms available at a reasonable price in the area. Opening day of spring baseball. We will ask him what he wants us to do when we chat with him today. He will only be here for about 48 hours, so......

As expected, the yard guy did not show up on Friday or Saturday. Like so many, they only work when they need the money. At least, he is somewhat dependable on cutting the grass in the summer. So the weeding along the lake is mostly done. Unfinished work is frustrating, but it is the way it is.

Today, I will fix fish for dinner, the last of the pollack. I really like pollack fish that I can get frozen in a 2 lb bag at Walmart. However, it hasn't been available for some weeks.

Hubs is finished with his pain medicine holiday and the medicine has kicked in. He is walking much better. No cane or wheelchair required. Still, I told him no gym visit today. Maybe by mid week.

Today, I am grateful for another lovely do something day. Have a good Sunday everyone.
Dg good to hear your DH is doing so well. You have done a great job in helping him to have a better quality of life.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:52 am
Good morning fellow frugalites,

It will be another day of getting things done in order to head back to the city tomorrow. I actually managed to get quite a bit accomplished yesterday before petering out and watching television (as well as knitting).

Laundry is started, I plan on taking the library books back today, making 2 apple crisps (one for here and one to take with), gathering together the items we need to take up to DS's to make his life a bit easier, and gathering together what I myself need to keep from going stir crazy (books, knitting, perhaps even some hand sewing things so I can fix buttons or hems), I need to vacuum the house, get the bills sorted to be paid first thing Monday morning, and a myriad of other small chores. Things will be accomplished and I may even get a walk or two in to wear off the nervous energy and get a good nights sleep once again.

DS sent us a text last night. He gave himself a sponge bath (seems he found out it was harder than he thought it would be, tired him right out) and suffered just a slight upswing in his pain level. He said thanks for picking up the grabber thing for him as he would have been butt naked without it..... I guess it is coming in very handy.

He also said thanks for moving the cat dishes to where I moved them as it makes it much easier to feed Eiko now. I also filled a water bottle and his coffee thermos so he would be set for most of yesterday and just have to do the same for today and Monday morning.

His vacuum is broken (he has ordered one on Amazon but it won't be there until sometime Thursday) so I am taking ours up to use. It is very light so will not be a problem.

Also I am taking up a wooden tv tray kind of thing. DS has minimal furniture (finally got a futon just this year) and just one very small end table. No place to put anything within a comfortable reach.

Supper tonight is going to be roast pork, roasted broccoli, roasted celery, and frozen corn. I am not sure if I will add a potato and onion to the roasted veggies or not. We shall see.

Today, being able to help DS brings me joy, and him actually wanting me there brings even more joy.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie glad you will be able to go to help your DS. So many times people do not realize their challenges until they get back in to their homes.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. It is a chilly (32 F) (0 C) but suppose to warm up to around ( 49 F) (9.44 C).

While feeding the birds this morning I noticed they are getting more picky about what they eat. They pick out the black sunflower seeds and then they will go for the other grains. There were some grains left on my deck from yesterday. Our birds look rather healthy since I think a lot of my neighbors also feed them. So I am thinking I will try to plant some sunflowers this year. My husband planted some when he was here I need to figure out a better way to support them than when he was here.

Since we are getting closer and closer to Spring my thoughts are turning more towards a garden. I was ticked off to see Dennis the Menace ( my resident squirrel) sitting on my deck rail munching bird seeds the other day. I did not see how he arrived. I had the tree branches trimmed back but at times I have seen him scaling the support beams on the deck.. He is going to be a major problem.

I plan on taking my paper recycling to the local school this afternoon and pick up sticks in the yard. We have had a lot of high winds this winter and it is best to get a start on the yard clean up. Also this morning I am going to make a cabbage and ground beef soup in the crock pot. That will make for an easy dinner this evening after working in the yard.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama