Is the Coronavirus affecting you

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Is the Coronavirus affecting you

Post by colonialgirl »

Kudlow is an absolute putz. He thinks that saying something out loud makes it true. I think mortgages are up because people are finding bargains from the forced sale of homes of people who are in financial trouble and because a lot of people have had to refinance to stay above water. Refinances are up 201% over last year. Don't think that is a sign of a strong emerging economy.

But that is just my opinion. I don't think anyone knows how things are going to shake out economically because we have never been in this situation before in a modern economy.

DesertNay

Post by DesertNay »

While shopping in the supermarket yesterday, I heard a family refer to the shoppers wearing masks as sheeples.The grocery workers in this store are required to wear masks, but the customers are not. I'd say only 40% of shoppers were wearing masks and our state is in the midst of a major upsurge in cases. We are approaching a critical level regarding hospital capacity. Yesterday we had 1500 new cases.

Who would ever think that wearing a mask to protect other people would become a divisive political issue?

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Gotta tell you about this.....

I was wearing a mask......

This morning I went to Casey's (gas/convenience store) to put some gas in my sister's car, and then I went inside because they have GREAT donuts, lol The other Casey's in town is wrapping each donut in plastic wrap, and then the chocolate frosting gets all over the place, so it's been a very long time since I've had one, sigh.

This Casey's, I noticed, did have donuts in the case/cabinet, but they were in opaque plastic bags, two in each bag. I opened the case to scoot one of the bags over with my little finger to see what kind were in the next one, when the lady behind the counter came rushing over, "CAN I HELP YOU!!??"

She reached into the case, she was literally less than SIX INCHES FROM ME.

I told her I was just looking to see what kind they were.......and as she said "I can tell you what each of them are" SHE WAS SHOVING THE BAGS AROUND, herself......now, I get that people shouldn't be pawing all over everything in the stores, but these were packaged, as were every other item in the entire store, chips, candy, sandwiches, beer, motor oil, etc. So what difference does it make if I poke a bag over, or if she paws at them????

I said "Nevermind, I don't really want two donuts, anyway......do you have single donuts?"

She said, "No, it is company policy that we package the donuts this way, FOR SAFETY."

I then said: "But it is not company policy that employees WEAR MASKS, FOR SAFETY?" SHE WAS NOT WEARING A MASK.

"No," she said, and got a defiant look on her face. We are not required to wear masks. "Do you want any of these donuts?" she said, impatiently.

So I said......No, thank you.....You're not wearing a mask, and you breathed all over them.....AND ME. I went to the counter, and she rang up my iced tea, and I left.

I thought about it a while, and then called their customer service number, to ask what their mask policy is in Illinois.....they said that their company policy for all of their stores, everywhere, is that employees wear masks at all times, unless they have a medical condition that prevents that. She did not say she had a medical condition, she said it was company policy that they did not have to.

I told him what happened.

And the other two employees weren't wearing masks, either.
ohjodi

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

clemencia2us wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:19 am
Its all about the money!

I can see his focus is just on the economy since his own job depends on it. But sheesh all he kept saying was how great we were doing. Mortgages were up - could have been phrased differntly

Job applications are up - hmmm - maybe people need jobs after they lost the one they had

New businesses are opening? Is that right?
New Businesses opening, wonder what town he lives in. They sure aren't opening up in my town. The downtown area, where they have little specialty boutique type clothing stores have yet to open their doors back up, and I would daresay they may never open again.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

clemencia2us wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:32 am
I've been reading the local big city news and seems like there has been an escalation of shootings and other violence

8 people shot at a bar. No one killed

Another woman shot and killed at another bar. She was a passenger and the driver of the car tried to run over a security guard.

I'm wondering are the people just so anxious to get out of the house and go to bars that they just go nuts?

I just can't imagine what it is like to want to be out there in large loud groups. Yes, I did it when I was younger, but the lady that was killed had young kids and looked like she led the party life.

My older cousins in their 60s post pics of them boozing it up at open garden type bars. And they say they practice social distancing? I guess i am just a nerd that stays home - :mrgreen:
This is why I'm so thankful we live away from towns. We have plenty of room to walk outside and get fresh air, friends can stop on the road...dozens of feet away...and talk as long as we want to. Unless bar hopping is a "thing" one needs to cure cabin fever, I don't get it.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

colonialgirl wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:52 pm
Kudlow is an absolute putz. He thinks that saying something out loud makes it true. I think mortgages are up because people are finding bargains from the forced sale of homes of people who are in financial trouble and because a lot of people have had to refinance to stay above water. Refinances are up 201% over last year. Don't think that is a sign of a strong emerging economy.

But that is just my opinion. I don't think anyone knows how things are going to shake out economically because we have never been in this situation before in a modern economy.
My very thoughts and I cannot agree with you more.