Is the Coronavirus affecting you

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Grannysewstoys

Re: Is the Coronavirus affecting you

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by Dgflorida » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:30 am

LWolf, I agree with you. When the medical people begin tightening the hospitals, I tend to give a problem credibility. Whether it is an escaped virus or not is not important. This one seems to be spreading faster than SARS did or Ebola did. They think it may be "bush meat" related like Ebola. I am inclined to believe that for a number of reasons. While creating chemical and breeding biological weapons were very popular some decades back, a couple of incidents back then discouraged it. Too hard to manage. Of course, it is still going on, but there are easier and more manageable ways to subjugate a population these days.

BTW, some bacteria tests suggest that hand sanitizers are ineffective. But soap and water still works.
Of course proper hand washing with soap and water is best. But when there is no soap and water hand sanitizer is better than doing nothing. Plus most people use too little hand sanitizer.

Most people don't wash their hands properly. They don't use enough soap/detergent and don't rinse long enough. Add in they don't turn off the water with a paper towel. Or use one to open the bath room door.

Penny
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:30 am LWolf, I agree with you. When the medical people begin tightening the hospitals, I tend to give a problem credibility. Whether it is an escaped virus or not is not important. This one seems to be spreading faster than SARS did or Ebola did. They think it may be "bush meat" related like Ebola. I am inclined to believe that for a number of reasons. While creating chemical and breeding biological weapons were very popular some decades back, a couple of incidents back then discouraged it. Too hard to manage. Of course, it is still going on, but there are easier and more manageable ways to subjugate a population these days.

BTW, some bacteria tests suggest that hand sanitizers are ineffective. But soap and water still works.
In Canada ever since SARS and MERSA hospitals have been tighter in accordance to Health Canada regulations.

Also as someone who has studied Virology, Bacteriology, and other related subjects in University, Ebola is not spread by someone eating "bush meat". It is spread through direct contact (blood or other bodily fluids like spit) from living primates to humans. As those who care for infected relatives become infected it spreads even further.

There are two types of Ebola, one is around 90% fatal and the other has never had a fatality.

My University degree is in Microbiology with an double minor in English and Biochemistry. Since I am still interested in those areas I keep up on my reading and research.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Penny, your point about the handles is absolutely true. So while I have washed off the existing bacteria, I know that I am immediately adding more. Some commercial places, like airports, have the motion sensor sinks, no handles. They also have eliminated doors. Instead use a visual barrier to provide restroom privacy. I wish more places would consider these bacteria reduction techniques.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I appreciate your remarks Jackielou. I meant it was thought that Ebola originally spread to humans via bush meat contact. Primates, like monkeys are called bush meat. Once in the human population, it spread as you described. That theory is again being presented regarding the corona virus China case. It is hard to determine its origin. However, I am glad to hear that China is thinking about cracking down on the importation of "bush meat" since much of it is from endangered animals. Unfortunately, the Chinese government is getting a lot of push back because a lot of "jobs" are involved in the "illegal" trade of bush products. China favors laws that are not enforced. It presents a good face to the world. When they actually act on those laws, it suggests they know something we don't.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:06 am I appreciate your remarks Jackielou. I meant it was thought that Ebola originally spread to humans via bush meat contact. Primates, like monkeys are called bush meat. Once in the human population, it spread as you described. That theory is again being presented regarding the corona virus China case. It is hard to determine its origin. However, I am glad to hear that China is thinking about cracking down on the importation of "bush meat" since much of it is from endangered animals. Unfortunately, the Chinese government is getting a lot of push back because a lot of "jobs" are involved in the "illegal" trade of bush products. China favors laws that are not enforced. It presents a good face to the world. When they actually act on those laws, it suggests they know something we don't.
Actually the term "bush meat" now means meat that is eaten (it meant that back when I was taking my course as well). Ebola is spread through a bite, or being spit on by a primate and the spit getting into an open wound. The first known Ebola infection was from the bite of a primate. Not by eating said meat. That is not to say that this new virus is not spread by contact by the method you are speaking about.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you Jackielou for your clarifying points. I am not sure what would be the best term for the wild animals that are brought to the open markets, live or dead to be sold either as meat or medicine. Right now, what I am reading is calling the source bush meat. Is this a lab created biological weapon that got away? The ideal designer bacteria for strategic warfare would be a 2 tier bacteria. First, it would spread quickly through a population and become a pandemic.Yet it would be mild like a flu. Then at a later date, recur with a more debilitating effect. (With a vaccine only available to invading troops.) I can understand why corona virus would seem to fit the bill at first blush. However, nature has created 2 tier bacteria long before labs could. Chickenpox created shingles is an excellent example. It seems that nature through the use of open markets selling wild game regularly produce dangerous viruses that leap to human populations. On top of that, we see other viruses spread through dense populations of domesticated animals before leaping to humans, swine and bird flu. The open air markets are not the norms here and it is may remove an important risk factor. Health regulations enforced on domestic animals are also helpful. Bush meat consumption is discouraged here in most of our cultures. According to a recent report on corona virus, asymptotic patients are infecting 2.2 people before showing signs of the infection, so it will likely continue to spread for awhile.