Is the Coronavirus affecting you

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Carol V

Re: Is the Coronavirus affecting you

Post by Carol V »

clemencia2us wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:37 pm yep - walking partner is hoping that we get another 1200 virus check.

I just think - don't spend.
It would be nice to get another one but I'm not going to hold my breath. It would help me a LOT but I'll survive without it. It really bugs me when i see people just fritter it away but that's what the government is hoping we'll do to "help the economy". Remember that $250 when Obama was in office. Those were the "good days" and I chunked it right into savings. Now it would pay a bill. Ugh.
Carol V

Post by Carol V »

Carol V wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:47 pm My 'wardrobe' is basically sweats and yoga outfits in winter and shorts, jeans and yoga pants in summer. I have a drawer full of shirts. My closet is mostly my work clothes from Walmart. It's so hard to buy clothes for myself I really hate trying. I've lost so much weight I have to buy little girls pants, size 10! I'm trying to gain weight but it's not working. My doc says it's the COPD and I know I have lost a lot of appetite and don't feel like cooking much of the time.

I had to laugh when I read that when you buy something you don't want to use it because you'll just have to replace it. lol I have thought that exact same thing at times.

I quit Walmart because I was 1) 75 and tired, 2) my COPD had reached a level that it was hard to breathe and be on the run all the time and 3) I had finally had my fill of mean, self intitled people who expected to be catered to no matter what they said or did. For years I was able to blow it off and laugh about it but worse my health got the more it bothered me and, frankly, made me mad. So I retired. Totally unprepared and knowing I would have to rent out my spare bedroom for the rest of my life to make ends meet. (I could tell you come stories about that!!) I had a good savings account when I quit but that is not so anymore. I still have some but now I have to worry about the "what if's" and that causes me anxiety. I did so good for so many years and now it's just a constant worry. I had planned to work till I dropped dead but it didn't work out that way. For a long time I didn't feel like I had retired. I was just "unemployed". Finally I realized i'd probably never work again. I don't miss Walmart and ,yes, I did like my job and miss my friends.

I looked up my order history this morning. I picked up my first order from Walmart May 4th last year. I didn't realize I'd been doing this for a year! It's interesting to see how many times a month I go. I average twice a month. At first, May thru Sept was only once a month or six weeks.
[/q
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Carol V wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:47 pm My 'wardrobe' is basically sweats and yoga outfits in winter and shorts, jeans and yoga pants in summer. I have a drawer full of shirts. My closet is mostly my work clothes from Walmart. It's so hard to buy clothes for myself I really hate trying. I've lost so much weight I have to buy little girls pants, size 10! I'm trying to gain weight but it's not working. My doc says it's the COPD and I know I have lost a lot of appetite and don't feel like cooking much of the time.

I had to laugh when I read that when you buy something you don't want to use it because you'll just have to replace it. lol I have thought that exact same thing at times.

I quit Walmart because I was 1) 75 and tired, 2) my COPD had reached a level that it was hard to breathe and be on the run all the time and 3) I had finally had my fill of mean, self intitled people who expected to be catered to no matter what they said or did. For years I was able to blow it off and laugh about it but worse my health got the more it bothered me and, frankly, made me mad. So I retired. Totally unprepared and knowing I would have to rent out my spare bedroom for the rest of my life to make ends meet. (I could tell you come stories about that!!) I had a good savings account when I quit but that is not so anymore. I still have some but now I have to worry about the "what if's" and that causes me anxiety. I did so good for so many years and now it's just a constant worry. I had planned to work till I dropped dead but it didn't work out that way. For a long time I didn't feel like I had retired. I was just "unemployed". Finally I realized i'd probably never work again. I don't miss Walmart and ,yes, I did like my job and miss my friends.

I looked up my order history this morning. I picked up my first order from Walmart May 4th last year. I didn't realize I'd been doing this for a year! It's interesting to see how many times a month I go. I average twice a month. At first, May thru Sept was only once a month or six weeks.
Carol, I definitely understand reaching the age where you don't want to put up with the stuff that customers demand and the way they can talk to you and you can't answer back. I've often said that if anyone could work a day in retail they would never mistreat anyone again. When you work in retail you definitely have to learn to not let things bother you. "like a duck, let the water roll off your back". However, there reaches a time when you just can't do it any longer.

If you could just find you a good housemate that would be wonderful for company and for sharing expenses. Hope the one you have now is better than the last one. The "what if" are the stumbling blocks of life. You take care of yourself and I'm so glad to see you back posting. I always enjoyed hearing about your life.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

colonialgirl wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:38 pm Well Clem -
I can hardly think of a better time to hang on to your money than now when the future is so uncertain. No matter what happens, having more assets to help you make it through any situation is always best.
The first thing I did when my stimulus money arrived was to take all of it out in cash. I have plenty in my debit account to buy food and "incidentals". What I have a fear of is finding out that, totally in the snap of your fingers, all ATM machines have stopped being usable.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I seem to be able to spend online just as easily as in real stores.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Sandy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:29 pm The first thing I did when my stimulus money arrived was to take all of it out in cash. I have plenty in my debit account to buy food and "incidentals". What I have a fear of is finding out that, totally in the snap of your fingers, all ATM machines have stopped being usable.
Sandy, my thoughts exactly. I didn't do it with my stimulus money, but I have been taking bits of cash for the past year and hiding it somewhere. You will think I'm paranoid for sure, but I put it in a glass jar and buried it. I live on an acre and I told my daughter where it was, but if anyone was going to rob me they would attract some attention digging up my entire yard. Neighbors might be over asking some questions. Janet pointed out to me that with all the visitors we have on the site that never participate, that there might be a bad apple out there somewhere.

I just like to be prepared and this virus caught me unprepared and I want let that happen again, it has put a scare into me that I want ever forget.