Daily check in February 23, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily check in February 23, 2020

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:04 pm
Hi, frugal ones. Today is DH's birthday, so we've been busy celebrating. We went out for a late lunch at a new cafe, which was very good, and I made chocolate peanut butter cupcakes from scratch instead of a cake. I gave him a card my artist friend painted of an adorable happy sparrow that used to come to her balcony.

Tomorrow I have a phone interview for a part-time job as a test administrator, but it's in a very bad neighborhood and some of the scheduling is at night, so this is not something I want. Ten dollars and fifty cents an hour and getting mugged? Such a bargain! :-D

Not much else happening here. It finally stopped raining and the sun came out, but it's still rather chilly. We had snow Thursday afternoon that did not stick. Everyone is heartily sick of winter.
Don’t do it! Your personal safety is not worth $10.50/hour in a dangerous location. Retail or even fast food would be better.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Mrscreative wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:40 pm
Good late afternoon/early evening everyone,

Dh and I went to the gym today. I managed to run 3 km and walked one mile with elevation on the treadmill. I also did some light weights for my arms, legs and abs and inclined bench sit-ups. They are twice as difficult to do as regular sit-ups. We won't be able to go next week as our city is hosting the Winter Special Olympics for all of Canada. It will bring a much needed economic boost to our city!

I actually had to see my family physician on Thursday for another matter and was glad to hear I don't have any cysts or lumps detected on the mammogram. They're having the special views and ultrasound because there was some asymmetry in the one breast in comparison to the last reading. It probably means everything is fine, but with my family history of my mother and brother passing away from breast cancer, I can't help but be concerned. I had genetic testing done though and don't carry the gene for breast cancer. The same thing happened around 4 years ago, but when I checked the records it was for the other breast. So at this point I am feeling quite optimistic but still will be relieved to get the results.

I won't be cross country skiing or snow shoeing this week either as the facility I go to will be used for Special Olympics as well. So I think it will be a good time to do some deep cleaning and decluttering in the house. That seems to be a never ending process. I think I will set up a schedule just to keep myself accountable to some goals. Also a great time to get some reading done. I have been a little slack lately, just can't seem to get too motivated!

Well off to get some dinner ready,
Creative
Happy to hear your encouraging news!

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

MackerelCat wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:04 pm
Hi, frugal ones. Today is DH's birthday, so we've been busy celebrating. We went out for a late lunch at a new cafe, which was very good, and I made chocolate peanut butter cupcakes from scratch instead of a cake. I gave him a card my artist friend painted of an adorable happy sparrow that used to come to her balcony.

Tomorrow I have a phone interview for a part-time job as a test administrator, but it's in a very bad neighborhood and some of the scheduling is at night, so this is not something I want. Ten dollars and fifty cents an hour and getting mugged? Such a bargain! :-D

Not much else happening here. It finally stopped raining and the sun came out, but it's still rather chilly. We had snow Thursday afternoon that did not stick. Everyone is heartily sick of winter.
Happy Birthday to your Dh, Mackie.

I hope that you can find a job you like, or at very least that doesn't put you in a bad neighborhood at night.

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I have not read all the check ins. Just returned from Dallas and limped out on church today. May have to get she'd twice to make up for it. I looked at two senior apartment cameras in Denton. One of those high end has every activity kind of thing and another that was less expensive and had more space a greenbelt and a huge patio. Well see but I think I'll be sacrificing granite and stainless for the extra bedroom and out door spaces. It's for a few years and white appliances will do me fine.

I spent part of my day looking for one skein yarn and other scrap projects to use up what's on hand.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Quilter, granite just breaks all your dishes and stainless is a pain to keep clean. You won't miss it one bit.

Yeah, I am going to save the interviewer the trouble tomorrow by telling her upfront that I will not work in that neighborhood. Heck, I won't drive through it with the car doors unlocked.. This may be why I see the job come open every few months.

The grocery store down the hill is hiring, so I may go put in an application with them.
Mackie

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

MackerelCat wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:25 pm

Yeah, I am going to save the interviewer the trouble tomorrow by telling her upfront that I will not work in that neighborhood. Heck, I won't drive through it with the car doors unlocked.. This may be why I see the job come open every few months.

The grocery store down the hill is hiring, so I may go put in an application with them.
Glad you declined the interview. Being a woman and older makes you an attractive target for mugging and assault.
ohjodi