Is the C̶o̶r̶o̶n̶a̶v̶i̶r̶u̶s̶ Political Discussion affecting you?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: Is the C̶o̶r̶o̶n̶a̶v̶i̶r̶u̶s̶ Political Discussion affecting you?

Post by SandiSAHM »

rinty wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:23 pm
No, and thank you for your courteous question. What DOES affect me is when someone posts , knowing what they are posting is antagonistic and snide. Particularly when they post, knowing that Jackie has too much on her plate right now, and they have previously been informed that their postings were not appropriate. The rest of us are , as Sandy says, MORE than capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time , and we are not passive /aggressive either.

Enjoyable frank, INTELLIGENT political discussion is wonderful.
Sometimes when I think I'm reading something that seems 'off' I shake my head and think about how it must be difficult to get through life unaware of how small-minded one comes across (surely this must come with a certain level of ostracization in the real world); though I try not to perceive the political stuff that way because everyone's allowed to have their own ideas (insert 'shrug' emoji here). But while freedom of speech is something I'll always defend, I've read what comes across as racist generalizations that leave me :shock: If *I* notice it (I usually miss innuendo, I tend to face value only), it must come across pretty clearly to most.

frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

Ok...the "early voting" results are in, if you will. There seems to be a consensus that political discussion is acceptable.

However, as Jackie said, political posts should be "clearly marked as such, not hidden in a challenge or frugal posting, and all remain polite when things are discussed."

Please remember that this is "a friendly place to ask questions and share tips related to frugal living." I realize that, like everything else, frugal living is intertwined with politics. And, some of you are very passionate about your political viewpoints. However, this forum is neither a place to promote your "my way or the highway" political agenda, nor a place be rude to someone.

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Aaron, thank you for being so fair. I never discuss my political views on the forum, but it certainly doesn't bother me when others do. I don't read or get involved in them.

frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

Jackie and I have the responsibility of being the heads of the complaint department. Luckily, most complaints are one-offs; we deal with the problem, and move on.
However, the subject matter of the number one complaint that we deal with surrounds politics.

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I believe in intelligent discourse. I also believe that one can intelligently discuss politics without name calling or insults. Like others here I come from a diverse family with diverse views and rather than avoid such discussions we embrace them.

I do think that its immature to jump into a discussion that you know you disagree with just to " plant a bomb". And I also think that if people get called out on conspiracy theories or obviously incorrect information posted by some one else that they have taken as gospel, that should not be taken personally if that makes any sense.

When it comes to the post that I believe was the cause for your post/comment, from what I can see it was a reasonable discussion.

And frankly, discussions on health care and the environment and other topics will by their nature have political overtones but need to be had.

Everyone can ignore posts they disagree with.

frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

rinty wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:23 pm
No, and thank you for your courteous question. What DOES affect me is when someone posts , knowing what they are posting is antagonistic and snide. Particularly when they post, knowing that Jackie has too much on her plate right now, and they have previously been informed that their postings were not appropriate. The rest of us are , as Sandy says, MORE than capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time , and we are not passive /aggressive either.

Enjoyable frank, INTELLIGENT political discussion is wonderful.
You're welcome.