Is the C̶o̶r̶o̶n̶a̶v̶i̶r̶u̶s̶ Political Discussion affecting you?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Re: Is the C̶o̶r̶o̶n̶a̶v̶i̶r̶u̶s̶ Political Discussion affecting you?

Post by gaylejackson2 »

ohjodi wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:55 am
I survived the About.com Frugal Living Forum political implosion of September, 2001!!!

Anyone else??
I think I joined in 2002 or 2003, after I lurked in the shadows awhile.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

floridacatlover wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:34 am
I cannot see how you divorce frugality and politics. My first posts back in the early days of Obama were about health Insurance, a topic that is still at the forefront of Americans’ concerns for their financial futures.

I’ve noticed that on Erin’s blog and website she never talks about health insurance, the ACA, health sharing ministries or going with or without insurance. Once someone asked her a question about it in a comment, asking what she did for insurance as a family with both people self employed. I thought her answer was a throw away and I questioned the accuracy. No details.

Fair enough if Erin doesn’t want to address the big financial issues for most families. But those issues are there - health care, student loans, child care, etc. (I guess you could say she is addressing college costs by focusing on 100% financial aid.) But to me frugality is far more than $100 Christmas and homemade mixes.
The political issues of the current election cycle which are of UTMOST worry to me are those which will ultimately land on my son. There is no avoiding it. Every single day brings new terrifying questions about "will they or won't they adopt a scorched earth policy for social security/medicare", "will they or won't they finally have enough votes to destroy the ACA", "will they or won't they <fill in the blank>", and that's with not even mentioning the ecological effects on our clean air and water with all the rollbacks of the laws protecting them (may I say 'Detroit'?)...so I feel your concern.

The speeches about "medicare for all" and "free college" and "wiping out student debt" literally make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up because no one has given a truly viable plan to accomplish these things and, try as I might, *I* can't see that they are possible. The country's deficit is at a record high so how can this much more debt be piled on and not have everything implode at warp speed?

Taking money (stealing?) from Peter to give to Paul in order to build a wall that is totally unnecessary is a prime example of an out-of-control ego when any/all of those funds could be put toward SO MANY programs or improvements for the entire country.

I quite often simply shake my head in bewilderment that the greatest, most powerful and most generous country in the world has come to this :(

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Wasn't that when a lot of members migrated over to the Delphi Forum? I remember that well. Most people wound up posting on both forums.

Bev

ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

ohjodi wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:55 am
I survived the About.com Frugal Living Forum political implosion of September, 2001!!!

Anyone else??
I did

frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

floridacatlover wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:34 am
I’ve noticed that on Erin’s blog and website she never talks about health insurance, the ACA, health sharing ministries or going with or without insurance. Once someone asked her a question about it in a comment, asking what she did for insurance as a family with both people self employed. I thought her answer was a throw away and I questioned the accuracy. No details.
Let me preface this by saying that I'm not looking to start a great debate on the ACA.

The ACA is a mixed bag. It's great that pre-existing conditions are now covered without prejudice. We have close friends that, otherwise, would not be able to afford their health care bills. So, they love it.

At our current station in life, however, the ACA has made things less satisfying than before. We have sky-high deductibles, fewer provider choices, and our premiums are 3x-4x higher than before.

As far as going without insurance, personally, I think it could have catastrophic consequences.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

frugalaaron wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:42 am
Let me preface this by saying that I'm not looking to start a great debate on the ACA.

The ACA is a mixed bag. It's great that pre-existing conditions are now covered without prejudice. We have close friends that, otherwise, would not be able to afford their health care bills. So, they love it.

At our current station in life, however, the ACA has made things less satisfying than before. We have sky-high deductibles, fewer provider choices, and our premiums are 3x-4x higher than before.

As far as going without insurance, personally, I think it could have catastrophic consequences.
I’m not saying for or against ACA (Godsend to me because of pre-existing condition) health care ministries or going without insurance (disaster in my opinion, too). I’m just saying that topics like health insurance which are at the forefront of politics these days are worthy (maybe crucial) to finances and frugal living.

To me, having a discussion on Medicare-for-all which is so much in the political news is something valuable if it is not a bunch of snarky remarks buried in posts.

But whatever! In one way I’m already ready to bury my head in the sand and focus just on the best bus pass for my visit to Montreal!