Daily Check in Feb 26

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Feb 26

Post by mbrudnic »

Hello friends,
It's Ash Wednesday. Not sure if I will make it to church for ashes. Not a requirement, but Ash Wednesday Mass draws more people than some Holy Day's of Obligation. Weird. But also a day of fasting (1 full meal + 2 snacks) and abstinence from meat. My freezer is stocked with fish options.

So I have an appointment to get my brace made for next Tuesday. Tomorrow my car goes in for maintenance and I will work from the office. A Conference call was schedule for 6:15 PM. I was planning to go to DS1's. DDIL will be out of town from Thursday until Sunday.

The podiatrist wrapped my ankle on Monday and said to keep it on a dry for 5-6 days. So this morning I wrapped with with Press and Seal wrap and took a shower, keeping my foot on the side of the tub. Fortunately I have a shower head on a hose so i could take it down.

I got to watch a concert on You Tube last ngiht. DS2 texted that he was going to fill in on 2 numbers. Cool. They live stream concerts when they are performed on campus. Of course most of the camera angles missed him. But it was nice not to have to drive 90 minutes home.

Have a great day,
Maggie

Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check in Feb 26

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning Maggie and all,

Military son is off to the airport, back to his base, paper work wrap-up, etc. Off to Asia within the week. I now own his old truck. It rattles a lot. We also added him to the safety deposit box. It has a lot of important documents in it. A few valuables. Mostly papers. It was a pretty intense 48 hours.

Corona virus has rattled the stock market at last. There are now reports in South America. The market has dropped about 2k points so far, but most think it will be short lived. 2k drop is not enough to draw me in. So financial plans remain unchanged. One of my goals was to get military son off his duff and make his savings work better. The military credit union people were very helpful and they offer some nice options to their people. I am happy.

Today, we have a cool front with rain showers. We desperately needed the rain. I doubt it will be enough. I knocked a couple of ripe papayas off a tree and gave them to my neighbor. There are more coming. I like papaya. I will eat a few as they ripen. Hubs has convinced me that I can't do keto like him. I simply need more carbs. I think I will take in out in papaya and peas. Hubs has not bounced back since restarting his pain medication. I had worried that he had exercised too much. Still hope I was wrong.

It looks like I have a new variation of ants in the house. They sprayed a couple of weeks agp for the Argentine ants, but these are very tiny. They showed up in my son's unrinsed coffee cup. He does cream and sugar. I had to borrow the sugar from the neighbor. She was happy to support the military with a cup of sugar. Since I don't leave things unrinsed, I haven't seen any since. Well, this is Florida and we have always have critters around.

Today, I simply will get back to normal. Put things back where they were. Catch up in the garden. Etc. We will eat leftovers tonight. I got 2 rotisserie chickens for Monday when son arrived. Both hubs and son like breast meat and it took 2 chickens to satisfy them. That leaves leftovers. Last night, I did hamburgers for them. So chicken leftovers with cauliflower rice and vegetables for dinner. I have the last roll of ground beef in the refrigerator to thaw. There is a weekend sale on chicken breast. No excitement expected for several months when I travel again.

Today, I am grateful that I got to see my youngest son again. I love and miss my children. Have a good day all.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

mbrudnic wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:59 am
Hello friends,
It's Ash Wednesday. Not sure if I will make it to church for ashes. Not a requirement, but Ash Wednesday Mass draws more people than some Holy Day's of Obligation. Weird. But also a day of fasting (1 full meal + 2 snacks) and abstinence from meat. My freezer is stocked with fish options.

So I have an appointment to get my brace made for next Tuesday. Tomorrow my car goes in for maintenance and I will work from the office. A Conference call was schedule for 6:15 PM. I was planning to go to DS1's. DDIL will be out of town from Thursday until Sunday.

The podiatrist wrapped my ankle on Monday and said to keep it on a dry for 5-6 days. So this morning I wrapped with with Press and Seal wrap and took a shower, keeping my foot on the side of the tub. Fortunately I have a shower head on a hose so i could take it down.

I got to watch a concert on You Tube last ngiht. DS2 texted that he was going to fill in on 2 numbers. Cool. They live stream concerts when they are performed on campus. Of course most of the camera angles missed him. But it was nice not to have to drive 90 minutes home.

Have a great day,
Maggie

Maggie how nice to be able to "attend" your DS concert on live stream.

Good luck with your brace.

Years ago when I was doing my clinical's on Ash Wednesday I was assigned to a nursing home called Jewish Center for the Aged. I was constantly told by the sweet residence," Honey you have some kind of a smudge on your forehead." I would just smile and tell them it was ok.

We have snow! About an inch and a half. We were in the dusting to maybe an inch zone and it is suppose to continue until noon.

I have been out on my deck to feed the birds. They were already out there pecking in the snow looking for anything leftover from yesterday. I gave them extra food today. They are so sweet to watch. When I open the deck door they all fly off to the surrounding trees and as soon as I am back in the house they all swoop down in about 20 seconds.. I love watching them against the snow with the red cardinals and the blue jay's coloring showing up brilliantly against the back ground of the white snow.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

mbrudnic wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:59 am
Hello friends,

Have a great day,
Maggie
Maggie, I grew up in a town that was 90% Catholic. My family is Protestant. Only one other boy in my class was Protestant. On Ash Wednesday i wanted to get ashes in the worst way. You know how kids want to “fit in.” I even made my way to the Catholic Church one year.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello all.

My first stop today will be Aldi. Usually it is more convenient to go in the afternoon but it is so crowded so I’ll try going in the morning. I have quite a list.

Afternoon will be decided by the weather because supposedly there is a 90% chance of rain. There is always something to do at mom’s house but nothing really pressing.

Kohls no longer carries watch bands. She suggested Walgreens. Nope. Walgreens woman suggested WalMart and that is likely correct but I’m undecided whether I want to go into that dreaded zoo. I wonder if the watch bands would include the tool needed to change the band. Amazon watch bands do, at least in some cases, include the tool. I’ll look over their selection more carefully. My watch is a cheap Timex but I like it and the face is very readable, dark numbers and not Roman numerals.

I watched The Bookshop yesterday. Pretty good but kind of slow. At one point they mentioned Suffolk (I think) in passing but I later read it was mostly filmed in Northern Ireland.

Have a good day.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

floridacatlover wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:15 am
Maggie, I grew up in a town that was 90% Catholic. My family is Protestant. Only one other boy in my class was Protestant. On Ash Wednesday i wanted to get ashes in the worst way. You know how kids want to “fit in.” I even made my way to the Catholic Church one year.
That is funny. I understand there are a lot of Protestant Denominations that distribute ashes. I have seen news reports of both a Lutheran and Methodist Church in my area offering "Drive thru Ashes."

My Grandmother tells a story about going to breakfast on Ash Wed after services. I think it was during the war and they were on the East Coast. The host took one look and ushered them to a back room where everyone had smudges of ashes on their forehead. I wish I had a copy of that story.