Daily Check In March 24, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In March 24, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Just starting us off
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check In March 24, 2020

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

I got out for another walk yesterday afternoon. Then I FaceTimed with first, Mom and Dad and then DS1 & the Grands. I spent a lot of time looking at the ceiling fan. And DGS6 had bubble gum and is working on blowing bubbles. LOL!

DS1 IS still working because he has been working at constructions sites at a hospital and a data center, but exempted from the stay at home mandate.

DS2 is coming this afternoon and said he is staying until Thursday. I do plan on getting carryout one day. I put Lysol wipes on the bathroom we will be sharing and will clean often.

Mom said DB1 has all 4 of his kids at home. The oldest 2 are working form home. The younger 2 are college students learning online. I guess they go to the grocery weekly and get dirty looks as to how much they are buying. He fells compelled to say "We have 6 adults in our household." They eat mostly fresh food, so they did not have a stockpile.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Don't ask me why I am up so dang early, I would much rather be sleeping. However I guess I can get started on a few jobs early this morning and give myself more time doing something else that is fun later in the day.

Yesterday an old friend and I had a lovely conversation on the phone. This social distancing isn't too bad if you can have a great conversation each day. I will have to see who I can call and check up on today. I am sure there are oodles of people who would appreciate a 30 min call just to let them know I was thinking about them. Perhaps I will start with the aunts, move to brother and sister in laws, mixing in my own sister and brothers as well. I would really help to stay in contact when you can't see them. Could set up a video conference as well, but let someone else think of that one.

I have to take the garbage can to the end of the driveway when I go out for my morning walk about. I forgot to do so last night and garbage collection is pretty early in the mornings around here. Yesterday was a beautiful day we made it to the double digits above the freezing mark and are starting today off above freezing as well. Could be that spring is finally here.

A few necessary chores today and then I will work on the face masks. Interestingly enough I have an order for two already (from my old friend). I said no charge that since I was just going to be learning and there was bound to be a few mistakes along the road I wouldn't feel right in charging her. I did warn her that they probably would not be ready until next week as we are going away for a couple of days.

For some reason I seem to be starting to get the days mixed up. Yesterday for some reason or at least until after supper I was thinking it was Tuesday. Sheesh, I have not done that since I retired.

Everyday the government of Canada or the provinces come up with new restrictions. Yesterday our Prime Minister warned people once again not to congregate, and to get what supplies they need and just stay home. Practice social distancing, and remember that we are in this not only for ourselves but those we love and care about. Seems that, just like in other countries, our teenagers and 20 somethings think they are invincible. I think yesterday they found out they aren't, the province announced that a 19 year old male has now contracted the virus. Social distance people, social distance.

So chores for today are the usual Tuesday ones but I am going to strip the bedding today (whilst I remember to do so), clean my desk, tidy up the paperwork, kitty litter patrol, find a great new recipe for leftover pork (the curry I made with the leftover ham when over pretty well), perhaps make those unbaked cookies (double batch), and make up a grocery list for either tomorrow or Thursday (just a few items that we have run out of and a few things for the DS).

Cutting out and sewing a couple of face masks this afternoon or if I am lucky I may get one done this morrning. I will stick a DVD in the television in the sewing room and go to work. I kind of would like to get a couple done today perhaps even three. It is just the top stitching that will drive me crazy.

I finished one dish cloth early yesterday evening and have started the second one. I will continue with that tonight after supper (or even before if I get all the sewing completed). I would like to take at least three up to DS's as he seems to be kind of short on these for some reason.

As I said previously I will be pulling out the leftover pork roast and hopefully finding a yummy new recipe (will search me Planned Leftover cookbook first). If not there is always my version of a stir fry to fall back on.

It is so quiet here, usually by this time of the morning I am seeing some traffic already. There is no movement whatsoever just the twinkling or steady glow of the streetlights or the far away glitter of the giant coal draglines that are operating south of the city. So very peaceful.

Joy is in the twinkling lights, and the quiet of the morning.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good Morning Jackie. I see you here too Maggie - good morning!

Well in this time when we should all be a little kinder to one another, I blew it this morning. I have HAD IT with my waste-of-oxygen neighbor and I tore him a new one and then handed it to him.

6:40 - still dark, I tied Hope out on her run - and his ferocious, NASTY little dog comes running over, with him chasing after it. The dog came after ME and it tried several times to BITE HOPE - who was terrified. This was taking place on MY property!!! (This dog has gone after me and my mail carrier on my property before)!!!

Took Hope in, waited, tried again. Same thing. Friends, I LOST. MY. MIND. LOST. MY. MIND. LOST. MY. MIND. Told that poor example of a human being what I think of him and that if I ever see either one of his dogs or him on my property again, the police will be called immediately - or sooner.

He tried to tell me his dog doesn't bite. I said can you not SEE it trying to bite Hope right now??? Well...yeah...

My voice is hoarse from shouting - but (I should probably be ashamed but I am NOT) it felt so GOOD to put that nasty S.O.B. in his place. He never behaved like a horrible neighbor until my ex moved out and then - BAM!!! Woman alone - let's see how much of a CREEP we can be.

He put on this "poor me" act -- lost my job, stuck at home, my adult kids have nothing to do with me, blah, blah, blah, I've heard it all before - he has got NO EXCUSE for breaking the law DAILY and being such a rotten human being.

I apologize for the rant friends - what a negative start to my day. Could I have handled it differently? YES. Do I wish I had? NO. It was wayyyyyy past time for that to happen!! I'm going to turn it around, enjoy my coffee, catch up on your posts and then take a shower and get to work.

I'm really not a mean person - and I hope you all won't think less of me for what I just shared. Have a blessed day.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

Another perfect "do something" day in Florida. But my "do something" is getting pretty tired. As I told my Facebook friends yesterday, "Coffee isn't working. Get out the jumper cables!" I have been working to clear the ditches of leaves before it rains. A chance of rain tomorrow and I have been pushing. I have filled every trash can I have with leaves for the yard waste trash truck on Thursday. So today will be less vigorous.

Today, we will have my favorite crockpot beans and chicken breasts. Start soaking the beans this morning. Yum good simple food.

Yesterday, before I got a second pot of coffee in me, I re-potted all the peppers. Easy work. Today, I need to moved some more plants and sweep up more leaves for the compost bin.

Snowbird was out at the street taking her garbage can in from the Monday garbage pickup and from a proper distance, she said thank you for the tomatoes. I planted some tomatoes in the flowerbed dividing our property and told her to take any that grew on her side. So she has gotten one or two a day. She also thanked me for the butterflies. I planted many butterfly nectar favorites as well as host plants for monarchs and several other butterflies. They are all over that area all the time. She said all the butterflies fluttering around her makes her happy. I am glad to make another person happy.

Today, I will start working again on extending my porch flower bed. I can only move a couple of concrete blocks a day before my bad knee starts hurting, so it is slow work.

I was able to catch 2 of my sons on chat last night and checked in with them. They say they are doing fine. Grocery store son says his store is limiting the number of people it lets in and has many item limitations. Rich son is working from home. Both wanted reassurance we were doing ok. I listed all the food we had and said it was accumulated prior to the panic through excellent February sales and normal hurricane preparedness. They seemed ok that we were ok.

Today, I am grateful for waking up this morning. I am grateful for my life. Have a good day everyone. Be safe. Stay healthy.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I don't like nasty little dogs either Happydaze. I did get bit by one that I was trying to save from running out into traffic. I agree with you. They do bite.