What is Your Hobby or Craft of Talent?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Re: What is Your Hobby or Craft of Talent?

Post by ohjodi »

I've taken up watercolor painting since last fall, and although I mostly just play around, smooshing colors together and attempting YouTube tutorials, I have to say that I really like it. I'm shocked, actually. Turns out you don't even need to have drawing skills at all. You don't need a steady hand to paint fine detail....just paint in a way that doesn't require it. It's not expensive AT ALL. You can get started with very good student paints (Winsor Newton Cotman), good brushes, and very good paper (the paper is most important), for $40 or so......and so each painting is probably costing $1-1.25, or even less if you're using 1/2 sheet of paper. I did treat myself last week to a very affordable set of "artist" grade paints, and wow, I wish I had these sooner, lol

I used to crochet, but not a lot. I was much better at planning a project, and finding just the right yarn, than actually finishing it. My problem is that I'd start big projects like afghans, that took forever. I was much better at hats, scarves, and those little decorative "dish dress" things you hang in the kitchen, lol

I used to bake A LOT, but had to really step back from that when I stopped working. I would bake something and take most of it to work to share, but since I can't do that anymore, I realized that whatever I baked I would end up eating entirely myself LOL
ohjodi

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

ohjodi wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:07 pm
I've taken up watercolor painting since last fall, and although I mostly just play around, smooshing colors together and attempting YouTube tutorials, I have to say that I really like it. I'm shocked, actually. Turns out you don't even need to have drawing skills at all. You don't need a steady hand to paint fine detail....just paint in a way that doesn't require it. It's not expensive AT ALL. You can get started with very good student paints (Winsor Newton Cotman), good brushes, and very good paper (the paper is most important), for $40 or so......and so each painting is probably costing $1-1.25, or even less if you're using 1/2 sheet of paper. I did treat myself last week to a very affordable set of "artist" grade paints, and wow, I wish I had these sooner, lol

I used to crochet, but not a lot. I was much better at planning a project, and finding just the right yarn, than actually finishing it. My problem is that I'd start big projects like afghans, that took forever. I was much better at hats, scarves, and those little decorative "dish dress" things you hang in the kitchen, lol

I used to bake A LOT, but had to really step back from that when I stopped working. I would bake something and take most of it to work to share, but since I can't do that anymore, I realized that whatever I baked I would end up eating entirely myself LOL
Nice, good for you! We tried out water color painting at a class at my library and I liked it a lot.

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

HappyDaze wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:40 pm
Nice, good for you! We tried out water color painting at a class at my library and I liked it a lot.
I think being older, now, helps me enjoy this much more than when I was younger. When you're older, IMO, at least for me, there's less personal pressure to be great at something. I AM improving, and I surprise myself often. But playing around and seeing how colors mix together, doodling and scribbling to see how the brushes work, and not turning out a picture at all, is really enjoyable.
ohjodi

rinty

Post by rinty »

Jodi, do you know the quote...

" If a thing is worth doing, its worth doing badly "

LOVE IT. It makes you free as a crafter . My main talent appears to be building up a Craft Stash :shock: but I love having a crack at lots of things. Back in the day I did craft fairs and sold things :shock: Cards, painted glassware, wooden décor items.

I LOVE scrapbooking, doing crafts with kids, cross stitch. I do have lots of watercolours etc too. I used to love to draw and have kept it up.

I would love to be able to crochet. DD does it and its gorgeous. Or knit with skill as I'm basic, same with sewing, I can put up a hem or mend trousers knees ( mum sewing !)

Like to prat about with cake decorating too. I will give most things a go, I love fluffy stuff. Seasonal décor, that kind of thing. I'm not a skilled gardener but we've always put together an attractive garden, Pots of tomatoes underplanted with herbs for example..........edible and also looks beautiful. Hanging baskets, cos I craft I've got an eye for colour and I picked up lots of gardening lore from my DSF who is a WONDERFUL gardener, had a small holding up til around 25 years ago. ( where I learned to hate chickens )

At first I thought I'd never be able to eat a chicken again when the family kept them, then I learned to hate the google eyed little creeps, the buggers would lie in wait for me in the chicken run and RUSH me as I came in to change water etc. and tehya re stupid so they would hid ein the nest box and when I opened them to collect eggs , they'd jump out in a mad dash for freedome. As we had around 6 dogs at the time that didn't end well...........they'd flap up to the wall of the dog run............BANG....explosion of feathers and gore. Idiots.

ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:03 pm
I make old, beat up, ugly furniture pretty again. Sometimes I use it, most of the time I sell it.

It was my 'hobby' before my part-time job came back around. Just sold a desk (it was a lovely dove-white antiqued finish with oil-rubbed bronze hardware) that started life about 25 years ago as a nice lightly stained pine piece with brass hardware, saw a LOT of abuse. All it cost was elbow grease, sandpaper and TSP, some left over paint, glaze, and polyacrylic; I cleared $175. :lol:

It'll be my last for a while, work takes up so much time that it took 4x the usual time to get that desk done and it cluttered up part of the garage in front of the storm shelter.

I'd rather refurbish good pieces than buy laminated particle board.

I wish I could sew, crochet, knit... but I'm physically inept with anything delicate.* I can 'see' the mechanics of what's supposed to happen, I just can't make my fingers do it. My Mom can do all those things, and embroider, paint (art, not furniture), but... DD can, so I guess it skips a generation.

*I may have inadvertently made it sound like I have thick fingers or something - I'm normal sized with normal sized hands (not 'man hands' - thanks, Seinfeld), they just don't do much with any kind of needle other than sew buttons on.
I just told someone the other day that I could show them how to sew, but could never make it work when I tried to do it. There is a saying, those that can, do and those that can’t,teach. No disrespect to teachers.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

ownedbydogs wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:24 pm
I just told someone the other day that I could show them how to sew, but could never make it work when I tried to do it. There is a saying, those that can, do and those that can’t,teach. No disrespect to teachers.
I just read a quote a couple days ago, "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you." I remembered this thread and thought: it's not understanding that's the problem, it's execution.