Stay ready for bad weather...

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Stay ready for bad weather...

Post by MackerelCat »

We had another bad thunderstorm early this morning. I also don't want to think about tornadoes on top of a pandemic. :(

We do have a gas stove and a gas fireplace, but the rest of our house is electric. I keep a stash of "saint" candles, those tall candles in glass jars that usually have the Virgin of Guadalupe painted on the side, in case of power outages. We also have a lot of flashlights.

Sheila, you might want to get a bag of charcoal. If you had to, you could create a makeshift grill out of a stove rack and some bricks and at least heat up some food outside.
Mackie
kat

Post by kat »

very prudent advice! hopefully some good will come from this mess (virus) in that people will either already be somewhat prepared from the virus stay at home, or they will now take prepping to heart!!! in as much as this has affected everyone, we are to "stay in place" for another month! so, as you said Erin, start catching up on all your things you havent had time to do, household things, yardwork, maintenance, family time, depending on your faith - thanking God for what you DO have - health, friends, family, home, etc), but also dont forget about time for YOU! you need to care for yourself also, its important, YOU are important to someone; dont forget about spending time with your pets, THEY need you also.

so Erin, and everyone, hope you all will stay well/safe, cherish what you have, do what you can, and take care of you! God bless. Erin, will certainly be looking forward to all your suggestions, meantime, I'm gonna go get some things together so I can prep with Erin! lol.....
kat

Post by kat »

by the way, you might want to always have some ready cash, small bills, change, in case you need it....if power goes out, no atms, banks closed too. always keep gas cans/cars filled; make sure when prepping you DONT FORGET THE PETS!!! food, litter, meds, leashes, carriers/cages, ID in them or have animals chipped, doesnt cost much. always have next of kin/neighbor information handy, both in the house and your cell/wallet whatever. remember too, if lines are down, or you cant get cell service, you can send a text to let someone know things are ok.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

our power went off yesterday. Just a second, but it was scary!

Now what was what i thought.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree with Maggie. Bad weather and this virus combined scares me. I do hurricane readiness in the summer, but this is March and my freezer is full. I need the power to stay on!!! By summer, I have a lot less in the freezer and a lot more canned protein. The freezer in the summer is for frozen water in case of power loss. I am on a well. No power. No water. They are predicting an active hurricane season starting in July. I have a Hurricane stockpile of paper goods which I have not had to touch. Also plenty of disinfectant wipes and bleach for hurricane season. I bought all that for last hurricane season. I am most concerned about flooding now. It is common in nature after a dry spell to "make up for it" with too much rain. So I am working hard to keep my ditches ready for a lot of sudden, heavy rain. I have 6 or 7 tarps to use in case of roof damage from a wind storm. And my gardens are all raised at least 6 inches which might help them survive a flood. I have a camping stove with propane tanks to cook on if the power goes out. We also have some solar batteries. Still I worry for those in tornado alley. This is tornado season. Be safe.
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

frugalaaron wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:49 pm Well said. We had a real doozy that came thru this morning, just before sunrise.
Knoxville had one too. Head of our bed is against a window and sounded like hail. Hard enough to break the glass.