Daily Check In March 31st

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Daily Check In March 31st

Post by rinty »

Hey

Yesterday was my least productive day in a while.

I guess I spent a LOT of time speaking to work, DS " stuff " and then talking to friends but the days have gone better when I have been acting like an Amish housewife ;) so I will be back to that today I think.

ANYWAY, work doesn't want me back in person, we only have X kids coming in daily so anyone who has someone they are kind of shielding, like DH cos hes older, stays at home. Which doesn't bode well when they think who they'll have back, does it ? But its hardly a problem compared to those who have BAM, lost their jobs. Apparently, and this is from a LOT of collegues, we are all on full pay. Well, it was never highly paid but its very nice to have it all still coming in. Especially as there is nuthin' to spend it on so stashing that cash !

DS stuff went well. He has a new word he uses constantly. " DRANGEROUS!!!!" Going outside AT ALL , is now " DRANGEROUS" and when you consider this was the lad who was banging on doors :shock: :shock: you can see this is progress. A friend did point out that could backfire on me " when all this is over ". Oh, well, it is what it is.

Spent a LOT of time just yakking to friends, men don't need that as much as we do, said Rinty in a sexist manner, but its true isn't it ? I am also SO grateful to have hobbies cos talking to people who don't , there are only so many box sets you can binge watch .

Logics can you send me a PM , please ?

Big Cheryl , I understand and hope your DD is okay.

Yesterday , as well I did bugger all in the manner of cooking, it was a USE IT UP day. I swear, when this is over I will keep this up as far as aiming for NO FOOD WASTE.

Today, actual food. I have a small pack of pork mince calling my name. DUNNO as yet . Meatballs over pasta ( ooooh, PASTA !!!) ???? Maybe. Still up in the air.

One thing today I was thinking about was I am so glad that we in the UK don't " do " Easter like in the US. Kids here get an Easter Egg and MAYBE, maybe have an easter egg hunt with plastic eggs filled with mini eggs but that's it..............none of this Easter Bunny or Easter baskets. In these days, that's just another pressure for parents to magic up a basket full of tat and sweets when the whole goal is NOT to be in any shops for non essentials.

Todays goals

More calls to social services to the people I was told to get in contact with. Its not a confrontational call just a " this is what it is " " Thank you for telling us " THE END. But told I must make this call..............okay, so long as I can get through.

FINISH a cross stitch project ( I know, amazing !!!) The Japanese kokeshi doll from the MAY 20 20 World of Cross Stitching Magazine. ECSTATIC, not only finished but finished ahead of the game ! Result. The tiny Christmas cards you can knock out in an evening, this was something that needed concentration but its really cute and will be nice in a VEY LARGE card as its quite a bog design or as a picture. In the mag, they backe dit with floral fabric and made it into a hanging ornament, its about 5 inches by 3. KAH YUTE.

Going to the allotment ( social distancing ) to do some hard physical work.

Amish housework tidying and keeping the TV OFF . Apart from the Daily Briefing which I do enjoy, I think they are done very well. Unlike other countries :shock:

Edited to add, just watching Breakfast News and saw The Marsh family from Faversham who did a video of the family singing One Day More with modern day lyrics of a family in lockdown. Hysterical, I need to find it online and watch it again. Jodi, you are the tech/online googler it is worth a look if you can find it, its on BBC Breakfast Time Twitter x
HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check In March 31st

Post by HappyDaze »

Good Morning Rinty,

I will be doing like you - a bit of "Amish Housewife" today - mixed with some work. Best of luck to you getting through with your phone call!

I woke up and could not go back to sleep. Rather than fall back to sleep around 5 a.m. and then struggle to get up and get to work, I decided to just get up. It is 4:10 now, I don't have to start my job until 8:30 - so plenty of time to enjoy coffee and breakfast and do some house cleaning and laundry.

Dogs got up just quick enough to take a look at me and see what I was doing - and they both got right back to bed - didn't even want to go outside. Fine by me, it is dark and cold out there.

I may update again later when I actually have something to say. Blessings to all.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

A good night's sleep and a hot cup of freshly brewed coffee. A great way to start the day. I have the windows open and the whole house fan on. Yesterday afternoon, it finally topped 83F in the house and we turned on the ac. It ran once. The overnight temperatures lingered near 70F, so a morning cool down, via fans, will not be as significant as some mornings.

Yesterday was a slow day after a poor night's sleep. I didn't tackle anything physical. Just the minimum. Walgreens now offers anything in the store through the drug pickup window. I used it yesterday to get some more eggs when I picked up hubs prescription. The eggs are more expensive, but no contact. Not even a credit card exchange. I have express pay. Today, I will activate my Walmart pick up account. Two reasons why I waited. One, everyone was trying to use it and they were swamped. Two, the statistical probability of running into a Covid-19 carrier was low. Now my county has a lot more active cases, so the probabilities of a Covid-19 carrier contact have increased. Time to activate a more robust response to this crisis.

Today, I feel rested, so the more physical projects are on tap. I want to move more concrete blocks and work on the raised gardens on the west side of the house. Still going to be a hot day, so limited AM window. Rain chances increase in the afternoon. Well maybe. Still pretty low. Cool down promised for tomorrow. Turkey in refrigerator thawed and ready for cutting and cooking.

Taxes are sent off. We expect a small refund. If we do get a rainy day late today or tomorrow, I have plenty of paperwork to occupy my time. Stock broker wants to chat with me. My favorite financial guy El Erain says it is not the time to buy yet. So no reason to chat with the broker.

Hubs weight is dropping. He had gained 10+pounds, so we have been skipping dessert. It looks like we were just eating too much. He is within 5 pounds of his goal weight. It helped that I moved dinner to 4 pm. Maybe the no eating after 6 pm theory actually works.

My neighbor, snowbird, next door admitted that she has been cutting the ripe papaya from the trees in the yard divider garden. I had wanted one, but she needs them more than me. Given the situation, I wonder if she will stay here this summer. I offered her some just picked ripe tomatoes across the garden divide. She gladly took them. She says she is having a food shopper deliver her food. She has health issues and needs to be extra careful. I always wash my hands before picking tomatoes. She advised me to get tonic water for my leg cramps. It has quinine in it. I looked it up and yes, quinine was long recommended for leg cramps. It turns out that quinine has been used since the mid 1600's for health problems. Until the 1940's, it was the go to for malaria. Then they developed hydroxyquinine(sp). The same drug they are using for Covid-19 treatment. Quinine is said to really kick a fever when used carefully. Some drug interactions though. Tonic water has only a tiny bit of quinine in it. But it goes well with gin or vodka. LOL.

Eggman's wife, the one who ordered me to plant the plumeria stick, now has a bunch of dragon fruit cuttings set out by the road for anyone. I took 3. I really didn't want them. They are cactus, but I figured out a place for them, so I will need to plant them. Getting fruit off them is a lot of work, but we will see if they survive. I stuck the plumeria stick in with my lantana and it looks like it is about to bloom. The ugly stick is hidden by the lantana.

Today, I am grateful for a good night's sleep. Have a good day, a safe day all.
Last edited by Dgflorida on Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:50 am Good morning all,

A good night's sleep and a hot cup of freshly brewed coffee. A great way to start the day. I have the windows open and the whole house fan on. Yesterday afternoon, it finally topped 83F in the house and we turned on the ac. It ran once. The overnight temperatures lingered near 70F, so a morning cool down, via fans, will not be as significant as some mornings.

Yesterday was a slow day after a poor night's sleep. I didn't tackle anything physical. Just the minimum. Walgreens now offers anything in the store through the drug pickup window. I used it yesterday to get some more eggs when I picked up hubs prescription. The eggs are more expensive, but no contact. Not even a credit card exchange. I have express pay. Today, I will activate my Walmart pick up account. Two reasons why I waited. One, everyone was trying to use it and they were swamped. Two, the statistical probability of running into a Covid-19 carrier was low. Now my county has a lot more active cases, so the probabilities of a Covid-19 carrier contact have increased. Time to activate a more robust response to this crisis.

Today, I feel rested, so the more physical projects are on tap. I want to move more concrete blocks and work on the raised gardens on the west side of the house. Still going to be a hot day, so limited AM window. Rain chances increase in the afternoon. Well maybe. Still pretty low. Cool down promised for tomorrow. Turkey in refrigerator thawed and ready for cutting and cooking.

Taxes are sent off. We expect a small refund. If we do get a rainy day late today or tomorrow, I have plenty of paperwork to occupy my time. Stock broker wants to chat with me. My favorite financial guy El Erain says it is not the time to buy yet. So no reason to chat with the broker.

Hubs weight is dropping. He had gained 10+pounds, so we have been skipping dessert. It looks like we were just eating too much. He is within 5 pounds of his goal weight. It helped that I moved dinner to 4 pm. Maybe the no eating after 6 pm theory actually works.

My neighbor, snowbird, next door admitted that she has been cutting the ripe papaya from the trees in the yard divider garden. I had wanted one, but she needs them more than me. Given the situation, I wonder if she will stay here this summer. I offered her some just picked ripe tomatoes across the garden divide. She gladly took them. She says she is having a food shopper deliver her food. She has health issues and needs to be extra careful. I always wash my hands before picking tomatoes. She advised me to get tonic water for my leg cramps. It has quinine in it. I looked it up and yes, quinine was long recommended for leg cramps. Recently disavowed by the FDA because a few hundred people had adverse effects. It turns out that quinine has been used since the mid 1600's for health problems. I think the FDA overreacted. But I will be careful. Until the 1940's, it was the go to for malaria. Then they developed hydroxyquinine(sp). The same drug they are using for Covid-19 treatment. Quinine is said to really kick a fever when used carefully. Some drug interactions though. Tonic water has only a tiny bit of quinine in it. But it goes well with gin or vodka. LOL.

Eggman's wife, the one who ordered me to plant the plumeria stick, now has a bunch of dragon fruit cuttings set out by the road for anyone. I took 3. I really didn't want them. They are cactus, but I figured out a place for them, so I will need to plant them. Getting fruit off them is a lot of work, but we will see if they survive. I stuck the plumeria stick in with my lantana and it looks like it is about to bloom. The ugly stick is hidden by the lantana.

Today, I am grateful for a good night's sleep. Have a good day, a safe day all.
As you said in another thread....stick to the topic, no politics. Talking about the FDA is political and not really topical.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Up early though I did sleep very well. We are supposed to have a change in the weather over the next few days. Supposedly back to freezing temperatures which could even lead to more snow. It almost looks as if March will be going out the same way it came in.

More cases of Covid-19 overnight here in Canada. I have a feeling that we will be "social distancing" for a very long time. It was great to read that Italy finally seems to have a slight handle on the virus. Still so many people dead in that country, makes me want to cry.

The monotony of the days is beginning to get to me. Chores, walks, hobbies and reading can only take up so much time in a day. Sometimes I find myself gazing out the window and wishing that I could go out for coffee. I think once we can get out and work in the yard that will change. I just don't know if the garden centers will be open at all this year. I better get some plants started inside.....Lack of space is kind of what is holding me back.

I am only going shopping at Walmart this week because of seeds (hopefully they have some) and a couple of other items that can not be picked up any where else. I really do not like buying my groceries the same place as I buy my shoes and underwear, but one does what one has to do and if I want to keep my exposure to a minimum this is what I need to do.

A fairly long list of household tasks that need to be accomplished today (not going to go and get our allowances until tomorrow). The main one is data entry on the budget and the next is filing. Those will take the longest as I need to break expenditures down on some receipts.

Supper tonight just might be a quiche of some kind as there would be lots of substitutions, but it would get rid of some ham and give us leftovers for another meal this week.

Off to pull out the turkey carcasses and chicken carcasses from the freezer and get started on making the stock.

Joy was all around me yesterday as I watched a child learning to ride a bike and heard the giggles of others that were out playing.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

I slept poorly. Came out to the couch for a bit. Last night I tried to FaceTime DS1. He did not answer but texted that DGS was working on school work (7 PM?) and he'd call later. I am a bit paranoid as they still regularly get together with her parents and Sis & BIL. They think because it is family, it's ok. DS and I suspect BIL, who is a plumber, are still going out and working. They are both early to mid 20's. It seems to me the data from S. Korea, where it seems they tested everyone, showed that there was a huge number of 20-somethings who were super-spreaders, people who were shedding the virus but asymptomatic. DDIL's Father has chronic health conditions, her sister is pregnant, her grandmother is older and helping her sister, DDIL's great aunt. The great aunt has a bad lung condition. I worry they are hurt that I am avoiding them.

This is what living alone is doing to me. LOL! I have't heard from DS2 since he left Thursday, but that is not unusual. I don't know if he will come back. I am of mixed feelings. He is living with his Dad. Dad's Fiancee is there along with her 3 daughters when they are not with their Dad. So a lot of outside contact there.

DGF, I'd give my eye teeth for a tomato fresh off the vine. I have been jonesing for a hamburger with Lettuce, Tomato and onion. I have considered carrying out 1. I even decided where to go, but Have not gathered up the gumption. Weird, putting on shoes over my ankle brace is a bit of a challenge, so that has been an excuse. But I am finding the brace helpful.

Have a great day,
Maggie