Daily Check In March 31st

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check In March 31st

Post by Dgflorida »

Maggie, I sure wish I could share my bountiful harvest with others. In another time, I could, but with what is going on, I can't. I seem to be the only one around here that is raising vegetables and fruits. I have my sharing fence line on the south fence. These are for anyone to pick and enjoy. All organic. Right now the Surinam cherries are ripe for the taking. Also some cherry tomatoes. Alas, the county dug out the ditch there pretty deep and they would need to make an extra effort to get to them. At least, I know that my neighbor to the north is getting some healthy foods from the property line garden. And the butterflies fluttering all around the nectar plants and butterfly host plants are making her happy. I have planted butterfly host plants on the southern fence too. Hopefully, they will soon start attracting butterflies for all the neighbors who walk by. Butterflies make people feel hopeful. Butterflies are good.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good afternoon. I slept well especially since I tend to have insomnia.

Teddi had a 10:00 AM vet appointment. He has a yeast infection in his ear. The vet put something in his ear that will be good for two weeks.So grateful I do not have to try to put drops in his ear daily. He also had an allergy shot. I requested 4 months of his flea medicine so we should be good for a while. The vet's office was good about keeping everyone safe. I called them from my car and someone came out to pick him up. She was wearing a mask and gloves. Then a tech called to get the information. After his eval the Dr called and we discussed things over the phone. Then the office called for my debit card number. They would have taken a check also. Anyway very cautions yet quick. He was back in my car by 10:30 AM. There was a steady stream of cars pulling in and out so they were busy.

Teddi was sick yesterday and threw up. Late evening I made him some rice and scrambled an egg which he scarfed down and did not throw up again. This morning he would not eat his egg and rice. The vet suggested chicken and rice. I think he slipped her some money because he could hardly wait for the chicken to cook he was dancing round the kitchen. Fortunately I had some chicken thigh meat in small strips that I had frozen to make a quick stir fry. I boiled them in some water and they cooked very quickly. I still have rice from last night so just had to heat it. He scarfed it down.. We went out for a walk after he ate and he is now sleeping on my bed. The allergy shot does make him sleepy..

I ate Teddi's egg and rice for my lunch.Teddi eats off of a clean china plate or bowl for every meal. It grosses me out to see a dog bowl that has obviously been used before and then the doggy parents put their next meal or 3 in the same bowl without cleaning it.. Yuck!. He never even went near his food today so I thought rice and egg? Fried rice! I added half of a sliced onion, a small handful of green bell pepper from the freezer and half of a can of mushroom to make a quick meal. Added a little bit of garlic powder and gluten free soy sauce and lunch was ready. It was so good I am going to keep it in mind for a menu rotation.

Teddi looks so sweet sleeping I think I am going to stretch out and read for a while and maybe fall asleep.
Janet Alliesmama

rinty

Post by rinty »

FCL, yes, we are a supportive group (((hugs)))

Made loads of calls etc today, bit of an ADMIN day but oh, well ;)

This Japanese doll is taking longer than they said.....8 to 10 hours my foot ! It is a joy to stitch though.

Checked out DSF who is nearly 90, he is raising broad beans ( fava beans ???) curly kale ( yick ) and some spuds in a raised planter at his Old Folks Home. Hes got tender plants on his balcony windowsill ready to go out. He taught me well !

We were both out in the garden today ( bloomin' freezing ) Still haven't picked any rhubarb, it is staring at me reproachfully. I just don't want to be making cakes though , maybe a crumble for Sunday dinner, with custard...........

Tomorrow I shop, they have said they don't want people shopping in groups any more ( meaning couples or families bringing their kids along ) come by yourself ! Works for me, I don't intend to linger. Checked with anyone who actually does need anything and its a smaller list than last time. I want this lot to last a fortnight and cover Easter. Word is, expect a queue of over an hour outside :shock:

Anyway, love my family and grateful to chat and check up on them.

DH has overdone it a bit, need to coddle him with a warm drink and some fuss, He's a Good'un x

Aww, Janet, bless Teddi !

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Dgflorida wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:47 pm
Maggie, I sure wish I could share my bountiful harvest with others. In another time, I could, but with what is going on, I can't. I seem to be the only one around here that is raising vegetables and fruits. I have my sharing fence line on the south fence. These are for anyone to pick and enjoy. All organic. Right now the Surinam cherries are ripe for the taking. Also some cherry tomatoes. Alas, the county dug out the ditch there pretty deep and they would need to make an extra effort to get to them. At least, I know that my neighbor to the north is getting some healthy foods from the property line garden. And the butterflies fluttering all around the nectar plants and butterfly host plants are making her happy. I have planted butterfly host plants on the southern fence too. Hopefully, they will soon start attracting butterflies for all the neighbors who walk by. Butterflies make people feel hopeful. Butterflies are good.
I tried year after year to raise tomatoes and never got very much for my effort. Now that I don't have a place to grow them, I enjoy my Mom's garden.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Frugal success! Using the power of the sun to heat water, I washed my big crockpot in the outside sink with hot water and got it squeaky clean! The handicapped kitchen design required a sink that was pretty shallow in order to get a wheelchair under and had no sprayer attachment. It was very hard to get big pots clean. Hooray for the sun.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

My package of backing fabric arrived. I was surprised that the mail carrier came to my door and waiting for me. He had another piece of mail addressed to a former occupant and asked about it. I grabbed the package, put it on my counter, cut it open, dumped it onto my ironing board. threw away the envelope and washed my hands. I think I'll let it stay for a day or two there.

I then went to compete my JoAnn's order and none of the three items were available at my store for pickup. I ended up ordering the spray baste and needles from Amazon. I'll wait on the packaged binding. I can always make my own if necessary.

I did reach out to DS2, asking how he was. He replied, but I think he was in the middle of classes. He is usually not much of a chatterbox unless he is excited about something.