Habits you plan to change

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Habits you plan to change

Post by Dgflorida »

"Staying at home" has revealed to me that I have developed some bad habits. I shop too much. I excused my habit saying I was looking for deals, but now I realize that was an excuse. I would buy too much food because it was a deal and then feel obligated to eat it. This is a habit I plan to change. My monthly budget will appreciate this. So will my waistline. Have you discovered any habits you plan to change?

MackerelCat

Re: Habits you plan to change

Post by MackerelCat »

The main one is that I am going to maintain a better stockpile of pantry and freezer goods, paper products and toiletries. I had let things run down because our income dropped when I left my job, and got caught slightly flat-footed. I think we will be okay, but I would like to be more confident going into the next thing like this.

I have gently pointed out to DH how much his lunching out and vending machine habit was costing us now that he's home and spending nothing. Not to mention how awful it was for his health!

How little we need has been eye-opening. During the past five months of job hunting, I had greatly cut back on my spending, but having cut it to food and household necessities only during shelter in place has been a revelation.
Mackie

rinty

Post by rinty »

Oh Mackie, don't say the next thing like this ! Can't believe you have been job hunting for so long. the perfect fit must be out there somewhere.

Cos of the way you look after Homeless Buddy and your little mum friend I think you should look for a role in social care or a pastoral care role in school maybe ?

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

I am with you Mackie. Restocking and managing my stores is the number one change I am going to make. We are ok because I have been lucky - we were able to make a couple of shopping trips and the store were well stocked. But I keep finding holes because I don't have a handle on what we have here and need. I won't knowingly let that happen again.

My pantry is now organized and functioning. I am slowly working through my kitchen cupboards - re organizing and freeing space for for storage. Then will come my basement larder.

Right now I am concerned because I don't have a filter for my refrigerator water system and once I get that notification, it will quit making ice. Not a tragedy - I have a small portable ice maker and guess I could order ice cube trays again - but I should have had a spare on hand.

I just saw video of the Pittsburg food bank and cars were backed up for miles. They ran out of food today. I need to figure out how to help people who are out of work now. I will start close to home - thinking of sending some cash anonymously to my hairdresser, nail lady and another hairdresser I know. If they can't work they don't earn. I just want to make sure that the money goes to those that need it.

How blessed I feel.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

That is a good idea colonial girl. How do you plan to send the cash? I would do it as well, but cash in the mail might not get there and anything else I can think of has identification on it? What is your advice?

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

DG -
I just planned on putting a bill in a heavy card. I am always a little concerned about sending cash - but I figure at this point, people are home to get their mail, so I will chance it. I don't want to send a check because I really don't want them to know who it is from and for them to feel they owe me - either money or gratitude. I just want it to be a little manna from heaven.