so, what are your plan for your $1,200???

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: so, what are your plan for your $1,200???

Post by colonialgirl »

Well if we get it - I never count on money until it is my hot little hand - then I will hold onto it. If it looks like things are getting back toward normal in the foreseeable future then I will donate a large chunk of it. But I am as afraid of the coming financial situation after the virus is gone as I am of being sick. I think we are likely to be thrown into a 10-20 year depression. So I will hold onto it until I am a little more certain about things. I have a large clueless family I may have to feed.

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

icfrugal1 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:40 pm
Thank God for that. I have a friend who has lost a lot of her SNAP benefits, because she is a master tenant on a lease in a rent controlled apartment , because she is the master tenant, she collects the rent from her roommates and the SNAP people count it as income !!!!!!!

And the landlady WILLNOT take rent from anyone else, because of the rent control laws if she does then they also become master tenants.

Talk about "unintended consequences" of the rent control laws.

IC
Can't she collect the rents in cash and put it into a money order to give to the landlady? SNAP is counting it because the money is being put into an account with her own name on it. They don't care where the money came from, or what it's for.....if it's in her account, it's "her" income.

If she does buy a money order, she has to do it at a business, like Walmart, a currency exchange, etc. not a bank. A bank will require her to deposit the money into her own account, first, and they will withdraw it to pay for the money order. It's the same with a cashier's check.

She really needs to talk to her landlady about this. She's losing hundreds of dollars in food money, the way it is now. And it's probably messing up other benefits she may be eligible for.
ohjodi

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

I was going to pay off my new computer, which I bought in January. I owe $300, but it's 0% interest as long as I pay it by the middle of July. I'm just going to keep making my $75/mo payments on it as usual, and hang on to the cash.

I do have $300 in other credit card.....$200 of it is two months of Medicaid I have to pay for, and $100 is miscellaneous Amazon, lol

So that leaves me with $900, and I just want to hang on to it. It's been a long time since I've had more than a couple hundred dollars in savings, so this will feel good.

This economy will be a total mess for a very, VERY long time. YEARS. YEARS.

I do think everyone will eventually get a guaranteed basic income every month. This virus will really help get that going a good decade before it would have. It's what Andrew Yang was always talking about. I don't think SS recipients would get it, though, because that's already a guaranteed income. Maybe they'd increase the really low SS checks to $1000.
ohjodi

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

ohjodi wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:22 pm
Can't she collect the rents in cash and put it into a money order to give to the landlady? SNAP is counting it because the money is being put into an account with her own name on it. They don't care where the money came from, or what it's for.....if it's in her account, it's "her" income.

If she does buy a money order, she has to do it at a business, like Walmart, a currency exchange, etc. not a bank. A bank will require her to deposit the money into her own account, first, and they will withdraw it to pay for the money order. It's the same with a cashier's check.

She really needs to talk to her landlady about this. She's losing hundreds of dollars in food money, the way it is now. And it's probably messing up other benefits she may be eligible for.
She told me that she does collect it in cash and does use money order. It came up because her SSDI is $1.030 and the rent is a bit over $1,200, so she had to explain how she paid the rent.

She tends to know what she is talking about as far as her own business, so I tend to believe her.

IC

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

ohjodi wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:38 pm
I was going to pay off my new computer, which I bought in January. I owe $300, but it's 0% interest as long as I pay it by the middle of July. I'm just going to keep making my $75/mo payments on it as usual, and hang on to the cash.

I do have $300 in other credit card.....$200 of it is two months of Medicaid I have to pay for, and $100 is miscellaneous Amazon, lol

So that leaves me with $900, and I just want to hang on to it. It's been a long time since I've had more than a couple hundred dollars in savings, so this will feel good.

This economy will be a total mess for a very, VERY long time. YEARS. YEARS.

I do think everyone will eventually get a guaranteed basic income every month. This virus will really help get that going a good decade before it would have. It's what Andrew Yang was always talking about. I don't think SS recipients would get it, though, because that's already a guaranteed income. Maybe they'd increase the really low SS checks to $1000.
That would be cool for me, my SS is under $1,000

IC

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

It's a sttimulus. Save it or use if if you need it. If you don't need it theres not much doubt that wherever or whomever you get it at this point it will help the economy. So take it, need it or not.