What canned meat?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

What canned meat?

Post by frugalmom »

I stocked up on a bunch of canned soup bc I do not use canned food usually. I have corned beef hash,SPAM,etc. I got beef stew too. But to be honest and not to offend anyone who likes this stuff, some of the canned meat stuff taste like dog food that I would imagine. Meats do not taste good canned. I heard they can ground beef even but I never see these cans!? Frozen foods do not taste too good to me either!

So what canned meats or foods that you have tasted and liked and tastes normal (not canned)? How about frozen foods? Frozen pizza is ok-what are your favorites?! Still not the same as a pizza place-although I admit much better than my epic fail that I tried today(and I doubled that recipe so had two pizzas to finish!) lol! I tried those keto ones-blah-one was like a chicken crust made of chicken-that did not do it for me either! Yuck!

So save us some money, what canned foods do you like and frozen foods that are good to stock up on. These are only bought during the coronavirus or if I need to get a BREAK from cooking!!!

One more thing, do you find when you make Hidden Valley Ranch fresh from a mix it tastes so much better than the bottled dressing?! And also OLIVE GARDEN dressing does not taste the same like in the restaurants at least to me it does not! Do you think the same? Does anyone have a good recipe that tastes like the actual Olive Garden dressing?!

gaylejackson2

Re: What canned meat?

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I like frozen fresh veggies but ones without the added sauces & flavorings—mainly for our food allergies.

For canned veggies, I typically only buy tomatoes (diced, sauce & paste), sweet yellow kernel corn & green beans. I do buy Bush’s baked beans sometimes as they are Gluten Free.

For canned meats, I buy tuna in water only—occasionally Vienna sausages as a treat for my children, but none of the others. Dmil has given us canned salmon which I’ve used like tuna, and we have some cans of spam gifted to us by our neighbor.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

frugalmom wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:52 am
I stocked up on a bunch of canned soup bc I do not use canned food usually. I have corned beef hash,SPAM,etc. I got beef stew too. But to be honest and not to offend anyone who likes this stuff, some of the canned meat stuff taste like dog food that I would imagine. Meats do not taste good canned. I heard they can ground beef even but I never see these cans!? Frozen foods do not taste too good to me either!

So what canned meats or foods that you have tasted and liked and tastes normal (not canned)? How about frozen foods? Frozen pizza is ok-what are your favorites?! Still not the same as a pizza place-although I admit much better than my epic fail that I tried today(and I doubled that recipe so had two pizzas to finish!) lol! I tried those keto ones-blah-one was like a chicken crust made of chicken-that did not do it for me either! Yuck!

So save us some money, what canned foods do you like and frozen foods that are good to stock up on. These are only bought during the coronavirus or if I need to get a BREAK from cooking!!!

One more thing, do you find when you make Hidden Valley Ranch fresh from a mix it tastes so much better than the bottled dressing?! And also OLIVE GARDEN dressing does not taste the same like in the restaurants at least to me it does not! Do you think the same? Does anyone have a good recipe that tastes like the actual Olive Garden dressing?!
Tuna ans Salmon. Sometimes chicken is a casserole-type dish. I don't eat those but DS2 prefers Canned chicken casserole to tuna casserole. Just substitutes.

This is a whole new challenge, a new way of cooking.

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Canned soups have gotten awful in the last several years, even Progresso. I do buy it, though, but I add other things to it, like canned tomatoes, diced ham, leftover vegetables, some water, vinegar, etc....so much that I wonder why I started with a can of soup in the first place, lol

I like Chili Man chili, but I add tomatoes and onions, vinegar, and some water.

I like pouch albacore tuna, and salmon. I always have Spam but rarely eat it. I like Aldi's corned beef hash. But any brand of it is so fatty and salty, that I use it more as a condiment.....brown about 1/4 cup in a pan and mix it with potatoes.

Speaking of potatoes.....I like to take canned, sliced potatoes, spread them on a baking sheet (sprayed with Pam), and put them in the toaster oven until they get kind of dried out and rubbery, LOL I discovered this by accident. Gives them a nice chew.

Canned tomatoes, beans, corn, green beans, potatoes, and pork and beans are about the only canned vegetables I buy. I used to buy baked beans, and maybe it's my imagination, but they have gotten so sugary that I'd rinse half of them off and add water, sometimes mustard and a bit of balsalmic or apple cider vinegar before heating. Sometimes I add ham or beef. It's just easier to dress up pork and beans like baked beans, than to rinse baked beans off, and a lot cheaper.

Frozen vegetables I like mostly the plain assorted kinds,without sauces.

Our Kroger closed over a year ago, and I used to buy their frozen bags of "fiesta" vegetables, and ate them ALL THE TIME. I made soups, ate them plain, etc. etc. I kept an empty bag for ages, intending to make my own blend. Broccoli, carrots, kidney beans, white beans, garbanzo beans, italian green beans, red peppers.

I loved them so much, I have to show you a picture:

https://www.kroger.com/product/images/xlarge/front/0001111089783
ohjodi

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

The only "meat" I would buy in cans would be corned beef hash. I don't buy tuna any more because it doesn't taste the same as deli style when I make it (too fishy and tuna is the only fish I would eat --- in tuna salad only) so for the one time a month I eat it, I'll buy enough for a sandwich or two. Also forget about the tuna and chicken in a pouch . . . gross tasting to me.

With regard to the rest, I stock Campbell's Chunky Soup, Mrs. Grass Chicken Noodle Soup, Hormel Chili w/beans. I prefer frozen vegetables over canned any day but due to the situation we're in, have bought some canned peas and carrots, beets, and some corn as well as some canned fruit to make do when I'm in between shopping trips and "fresh" is gone. I also keep a regular supply of cannellini and green beans which I put in my salads. I will occasionally buy a can of baked beans or a can of stewed tomatoes.

On yesterday's shopping trip I wanted to get some frozen broccoli but most of their vegetables were out. I did manage to pick up two bags of frozen Country Style Mixed Vegetables. Being only 1 person, I can squeeze 3 servings from a can and 4 from bagged veggies

As for potatoes, I will stick to "fresh" or instant; canned potatoes don't cut it for me.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

The canned foods around here are fruits, salmon, tuna, some soups (much rather not have soups though), tomatoes (since I have run out of frozen garden ones), and some types of beans.

I will only use frozen or fresh veggies.

Not a family that eats a lot of frozen pizza. We think the crusts taste like cardboard.