What canned meat?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: What canned meat?

Post by frugalmom »

ownedbydogs wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:29 pm
We get a beef stew can from meals on wheels that smells worst than our dogs food. Taste is not stellar either, but found if I baked it with corn bread on top, it was eatable if someone was not too picky. Dh is not.
I hope it was not Dinty's Beef stew bc I bought that to try as one of my staples I'm the emergency pantry. We rarely eat stew and I make my own. but that is what I worry about the canned stuff -that it tastes like dog food!

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

frugalmom wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:52 pm
Yes,a new way of cooking and a challenge-I just need to figure out how to make canned foods taste good-lol! How are you doing?
Hey EM,

I am surviving. Very, very lonely. I do have a group chat going with my support group, and am on several conference calls a day. DS1 Facetimes a couple of time a week. So do my parents. It is nice to see their faces. DGS3 likes to play with Daddy's phone rather than talk to Grandma so I either look at he ceiling, he puts his thumb over the camera, pauses the video so he can play a game or hanging up.

DS1 is still working. He works at construction sites, so not in a crowded area, but being mid-20's he's somewhat of a candidate to be an asymptomatic carrier. DS2 is at his Dad's trying to continue his college classes, but with music, it is difficult.

Maggie

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Spam is so salty I swear I can feel my blood pressure rising when consuming it, which we haven't in about 30 years. DH used to eat it sliced and fried when he was a bachelor and we had a few poverty meals out of it in the early days of our marriage.
Mackie

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

MackerelCat wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:30 pm
Spam is so salty I swear I can feel my blood pressure rising when consuming it, which we haven't in about 30 years. DH used to eat it sliced and fried when he was a bachelor and we had a few poverty meals out of it in the early days of our marriage.
Mackie, I can remember eating it for breakfast with fried eggs sometimes when I was growing up, but it wasn't and still isn't a favorite of mine. I have blood pressure problems and I would probably have a stroke if ate it in my diet. It's a lot of work, but my health is better when I'm cooking from scratch, so I eat very few processed foods anymore. It takes more time, but the benefits of cooking your meals instead of eating frozen makes good sense economically and health-wise. I love bologna, but it effects me the same way. Nothing better than a hot dog occasionally,but a Ball Frank Wiener has 550 mg of sodium in one dog. You don't want to make a regular diet of them either.

ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

littlemiss63 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:59 am
Mackie, I can remember eating it for breakfast with fried eggs sometimes when I was growing up, but it wasn't and still isn't a favorite of mine. I have blood pressure problems and I would probably have a stroke if ate it in my diet. It's a lot of work, but my health is better when I'm cooking from scratch, so I eat very few processed foods anymore. It takes more time, but the benefits of cooking your meals instead of eating frozen makes good sense economically and health-wise. I love bologna, but it effects me the same way. Nothing better than a hot dog occasionally,but a Ball Frank Wiener has 550 mg of sodium in one dog. You don't want to make a regular diet of them either.
Have you ever tried Nathan’s franks. Not sure how much sodium, but the taste less salty than the others.

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

ownedbydogs wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:53 pm
Have you ever tried Nathan’s franks. Not sure how much sodium, but the taste less salty than the others.
I checked and they have the same grams as the Ball Park. Seems as if most things that taste good aren't really good for us. :lol: :lol: