Daily Check In April 7th

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
AuntBridget

Re: Daily Check In April 7th

Post by AuntBridget »

I could have sworn that I posted a check in early, but now I can't find it....so I am either losing my mind, or have forgotten how to post. Either is possible at this moment.

Hope everyone sleeps better tonight than last night. My sleep pattern is so messed up. Staying up late, getting up early and then napping once or twice a day.

Today I worked on some turkey bone broth that I started in e crock pot yesterday. I drained the broth off and then added more water and cooked the bones again for another 5 hours. Then I drained again, and picked sorted the bones and meat. I have about 4 quarts chilling in the fridge. I will skip off any fat there might be and then put it into smaller containers to cook with.

Went outside a couple times today just to enjoy the sunshine.We just had a storm come through that included rain an hail. Luckily it didn't last long Hoping son and I can go out and look at the moon later this evening. I have heard it is supposed to be pink.

Supper tonight was chicken and cheese enchiladas. It helped to use up some shredded chicken and enchilada sauce that I found in the freezer yesterday. It also used up the last package of corn tortillas.

Guess I will go see if I can put a few more pieces of my jigsaw puzzle together.

Have a safe and enjoyable evening
Aunt Bridget

frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Tired tonight. One nice thing about not having school days is I can sleep in much later than I am used to! BUT my body tends to still wake up at the usual times I wake so I try to stay in bed til I fall asleep again-lol! I am getting a bit lazy these days- my kids are even worse-they wake up like 11-noon if they don't have a lecture or Zoom meeting/lecture.

Made bagels with eggs and green onions for breakfast-that was very filling (even though I only had half a bagel because a whole one seems too much) and kept me full for hours. Pulled weeds (seemed like so long and lots of work but it only looked like it made a tiny dent-there must be an easier way!). Did laundry (few loads). Lunch was baked creamy garlic butter chicken with roasted garlic potatoes and spinach from our garden and sprinkled with cilantro from our garden too (found this recipe on Cooking with Claudia) and this was on YOU TUBE, It was very good-like restaurant-quality! I saved the leftovers to make a white creamy garlic bechamel sauce with ziti pasta (I diced the chicken into smaller pieces and diced the potatoes too). This was also very good (on YOu TUbe Bayoona) under white sauce pasta and chicken bake. I tweaked it a bit since I used the leftover chicken from earlier and liked that sauce so combined it with the sauce they had too. IT was good, but if I had to make it again I would add some sun-dried tomatoes also and green onions and I also added peas (think broccoli would be good too). The kids liked it and said it tasted like Johnny Carino's pasta or an Alfredo type pasta. It was a lot of cooking today-usually I like faster meals but this one took quite a bit of time!

I have a whole window sill of green onions and cilantro growing and yellow onions. Does anyone know if I can eat the green shoots growing from the yellow onion top-it looks like green onions -wonder if it tastes like it? Does anyone know? So I am experimenting with scraps and see what grows so I don't have to go to the grocery store! Celery and lettuce too-was going to try cabbage but my DH says that won't work-does anyone know? Now after all that, I should have exercised,,,but didn't so will have to make that up tomorrow! I have been lazy the past couple of days-and it had been raining past few days. Went out to see the Super Moon-nice.

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:37 am

Today should be a better day, a do something kind of day. I woke up early and did my lazy exercises with the band, stretching and some yoga. I did a laundry load yesterday after the doctor visit and washed my mask. I do need to go out shopping this week. It has been quite awhile and I hear from my neighbors that the stores have finally gotten some rules in place. I plan to visit the Winn-Dixie nearby. Hubs likes their cottage cheese and yogurt. If I can, I will buy enough for several weeks. This is also the last day of their fresh salmon sale and I crave some. Normally, I would go in the morning, but I hear that is now the crowded time. So I will wait until later in the day. While the store may be cleaner in the morning and maybe more food on the shelves, I am more afraid of the hoards of people than anything else.
DG, I hope you have better luck than SIL had today. He called to see if he could pick me up anything and I told him that I had been able to find everything that I needed except toilet paper. He went to Kroger and he found 4 small rolls, have never seen them stock that size package before, but he got it for me. They had a limit of one, hamburger meat was 2 packages. He said many things like milk, orange juice, eggs were all the same, so I hope you can stock up on his cheese and yogurt.

My SIL asked the check-out girl if they were still having trouble keeping paper goods and she said yes. However, you would think they would get a truck in every day, but he found out they get in one a week. I almost feel like the store managers are controlling how much paper goods they put on the shelves for a day so it want all be gone the minute they get in a shipment. They are getting in extra traffic and if the shelves are stocked well with other things, the impulse buyer want just go for a package of toilet paper.

He's got most of his older friends stocked in groceries now and he's gone shopping almost everyday because of the limit on things. Fills a list one at a time, takes it to the car and goes back in for the next one. This helps him because he can keep the orders separated. He says nobody has said what are you doing back in here again, yet? He says most of them look so tired, that he doesn't think they care how much one customer buys as long as it's not a grocery cart filled with toilet tissue. I wouldn't want their jobs right now.

rinty

Post by rinty »

Aw LittleMiss your SIL is lovely. He wouldn't be able to shop that way here. We queue outside for up to an hour, soo the idea that you'd then go back and do it again..............we have one way systems in the shops you have to follow so with a list cos if you forget you can't back track,lots of security which seems to be mainly the youngest, biggest staff they've got, They are very authorative too ! But you can get everything, even TP, now matter what time you shop.

I have a tiny list so don't really want to go this week. the list is just stuff like eggs, but we could manage. I do shop and drop for some others but they all seem to be fine as well so ideally I won't go this side of easter..

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

littlemiss63 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:09 am
DG, I hope you have better luck than SIL had today. He called to see if he could pick me up anything and I told him that I had been able to find everything that I needed except toilet paper. He went to Kroger and he found 4 small rolls, have never seen them stock that size package before, but he got it for me. They had a limit of one, hamburger meat was 2 packages. He said many things like milk, orange juice, eggs were all the same, so I hope you can stock up on his cheese and yogurt.

My SIL asked the check-out girl if they were still having trouble keeping paper goods and she said yes. However, you would think they would get a truck in every day, but he found out they get in one a week. I almost feel like the store managers are controlling how much paper goods they put on the shelves for a day so it want all be gone the minute they get in a shipment. They are getting in extra traffic and if the shelves are stocked well with other things, the impulse buyer want just go for a package of toilet paper.

He's got most of his older friends stocked in groceries now and he's gone shopping almost everyday because of the limit on things. Fills a list one at a time, takes it to the car and goes back in for the next one. This helps him because he can keep the orders separated. He says nobody has said what are you doing back in here again, yet? He says most of them look so tired, that he doesn't think they care how much one customer buys as long as it's not a grocery cart filled with toilet tissue. I wouldn't want their jobs right now.
So far no waiting in line where I shop, but the government is asking us to only go shopping once and to tell the truth following the arrows inside the store makes me only want to shop once.

This week DS needs groceries so his and mine will be together. I will figure out what he owes later.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

LogicsHere wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:35 am
Good morning all.

It looks to be another nice day here in Metro NY. It will be cloudy with light sun and a high in the mid 60s.

This morning I have a "conference call" sponsored by the hospital Vitality Group leader. We'll see how that goes.

In the last few weeks and in reading the posts, it appears that those of you who have family you live with and/or homes are having an easier time in dealing with the "stay at home" orders. Not only do you have "company", but you have far more to keep you busy vs. someone such as myself who lives in a 700 sq ft apartment. There's only so much housework that can be done; there's no yard work, and with the exception of a phone call from my sister . . . it is tough. I'm fighting with myself to keep from overeating. I've also been trying to not only cut my portions down, but to eat slower and drink more. I did a weigh-in this morning and for the first time in a while I'm down below the 160 mark; not by much but now feel I have to continue to watch when I find myself bored.

---SNIP---
Logics,

I feel the same way you do. I feel lucky that I have work to occupy 8 hours of my day. But evenings and weekends are difficult. I have never been too much of a homebody. I miss seeing people's faces while talking to them. Sunday I did pop over to Mom and Dad's to drop off some things. They have not been off their property in weeks (thank goodness). They were talking about going to the back and getting cash and stamps. They do let me in the house, but keep their distance. I sit at one end of the living room and they in another. LOL! Then I drove form their house to DB's house to drop off masks. The whole family was taking a walk and passed them after rolling down my window and telling them the were taking up half the street. All 4 kids, 24 YO Twins, 21 & 19 Yr old college students are at home. I left masks for them on their back deck. Then I ran to my Aunt and Uncle's and handed their requested masks around the storm door to my cousin. I did pop into Walgreens with my mask. I ended up buying more think stretch hair head bands to cut for mask elastic. The store was empty enough to maintain a safe distance.

Maggie