Daily Check In April 9th

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Re: Daily Check In April 9th

Post by jckitty »

good morning all,

I slept pretty good altho i had to get up twice for bathroom breaks ...sorry if TMI . I bet I drank 3 gallons of water yesterday while working and being outside in the sun and heat.

Wolf, I think your area got hit pretty good last night with the storms and wind, hope all is well with you and yours????

I will be working inside today, it is chilly and windy...plus allergies are running high today. I have taken my meds and waiting for it to kick in.

Jackie, you amaze me,hope your trip with DS goes well and seeing him will make you feel so much better.

Today I will focus on clearing surfaces...dusting and sanitizing the bathroom, again. I need to make a menu plan for the weekend. So strange to not celebrate Easter with my family, But we will meet again.

Off to get laundry started and work off my to-do list.

Frugal tip of the day: a light vinegar rinse of your hair will remove product and it will not smell like vinegar when done and dry.

Stay safe, stay calm and be positive

JCKitty
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

A gray and soon to be very wet day with gusty winds. At least we had a few nice days. I'm just glad that tomorrow is laundry day because it will just be cloudy and a bit windy but no rain.

Someone reminded me of the site Udemy which offers free courses in addition to their paid ones. I joined the site a couple of years ago and did a couple of courses. It might be fun to go look at a few of them again to see if any strike my interest. I'm sure there must be at least one or two. I'm getting bored with You Tube but then probably haven't even begun to scratch the surface on topics.

Well today is day 7 since my last shopping trip. I'm going to see how much longer I can go without going to the store again. Typically I would have gone at least once and maybe even 2 times since last Friday. While I'd like to stretch it to 14, I will probably make it to day 11 or 12 because my local store has an item on sale that I need and if I do wait a full 14, the prices go up.

Has anyone been looking at the prices of everything since this hit, and not just food prices. I've been looking at Amazon for even craft stuff and prices on some things have jumped $10-$15 since the last time I bought them. I went to Ebay to check out jigsaw puzzles and some of them want $24.00 for a 300 pc puzzle and another $10 for shipping . . . talk about being in an alternate universe.

As far as Easter is concerned, I was going to color some eggs but have decided against it. I don't want to hard boil my remaining dozen. I have to remember to take out my turkey leg tomorrow and put it in the bottom section of my refrigerator to defrost for Sunday's dinner.

Tonight's dinner will be a piece of chicken, rice and a vegetable.

Today's bit of trivia: Today is Winston Churchill Day. It was named to commemorate Churchill's becoming an honorary American citizen. He was awarded the honor in 1963 by President John F. Kennedy but was not in attendance to receive the proclamation in person. There have only been a handful of people to receive this honor.

What does it take to become an honorary US citizen? You have to have made extraordinary accomplishments or contributions in your life. And, then a law must be drafted and voted upon by the U.S. Senate.

Have a nice day all.
Last edited by LogicsHere on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I cut out fabric for several face mask. Today I hope to sew them. Last night I cut up the rest of the shorts fabric into ties. Some strips are long enough for 2 most are not.

Tee shirt fabric ties are easier to tie than bias tape.

I went out to check my mail yesterday but the elevator wasn’t working so I didn’t go I decided against going later in the day so I will check this afternoon. When I get up from my nap which is about 2 pm.

I have a food Delivery scheduled for Saturday afternoon. After that I have nothing scheduled I have a list.

I checked H-E-B’s web site and the next day was taken the minute I got up this morning.

This is very frustrating. I can’t stay up until midnight. Though they are posting on the web sites that time slots will be difficult to get this week as they switch to a system that allows setting up delivery no more than 7 days out.

I keep checking.

That is what is going on. I have to empty the dishwasher and reload it with a few dishes.

I also want to sew the masks I cut out yesterday

Penny
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Good Morning Everyone,

The sun is shining after a storm last night and the birds are chirping, all in all a great day. I had a grocery pick-up at Kroger between 8-9 this morning so this old bird had to get up earlier than usual. I have found that by doing two grocery pick-ups a week between Kroger and Walmart that I am able to get the groceries I need. I came home and put away everything that needed to go into the pantry and then prepped my vegetable and fruits for storing. I find it makes things so much easier for me if I will prep right away. It takes forever it seems, but when I get ready to prepare a meal or eat it's very convenient.

We had tornado warnings until 2AM, so I didn't get a real good nights rest. I am planning on slipping in a couple hours nap this afternoon.

We have now had 2 deaths in my county from the virus, but considering what is going on in New York this doesn't compare. It has just hit me that I will be spending Easter alone and that was a sobering thought. My daughter is as upset about it as I am. However, we can't take a chance and like someone else said on either here or Facebook, there will be other Easters. My SIL has to work so maybe it will feel like any other day to us.

I was talking with my niece that lives in Columbus, MS and they still haven't gotten unemployment checks. She works at a restaurant and they were all laid off as they have more than 10 people working there and if they were going to do curb-side they needed more than 10 in the building, so the owner decided to just close. I hope he will be able to open back up after this is over. I don't think anything is going smoothly in this operation. I don't know how a lot of these people are going to survive, I do know, they aren't.

I just enjoyed freshly baked biscuits, smothered in sausage gravy. I need to make me a menu for next week. Does anyone else hate to use their groceries? I can't believe how stingy I have gotten with my portions to make sure I don't throw away a scrap of food.

There isn't anything exciting going on here and I will putter today. I've done so much cleaning at night until there is really nothing left to do. I'd like to do a little work in my yard, but the wind is blowing so hard until I changed my mind. It turned off a little cooler last night after the storm went through. Everyone, have a wonderful day.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

jckitty wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:36 am good morning all,

Wolf, I think your area got hit pretty good last night with the storms and wind, hope all is well with you and yours????
We're OK, Kitty, thanks for asking. Tornado sirens went off, so we spent some time in the basement. (It's hard to get any info on the radio these days ... finally found one of the TV live streams on my phone.)

Anyway, temps have dropped into the 40s here, but at least it's sunny. Been off for a few days since I've been feeling rather frayed around the edges emotionally ... which means everything tends to irritate me.

Been trying to get some repairs done around the house ... not successfully, unfortunately. Slowly working on taxes, pulled out some of my flowerpots, did an inventory of seeds. Hopefully, things will ease off enough that I can get plants and more seeds.

Dinner tonight will be beef stew (if nothing else, we eat well, LOL). Off to grab a bit of lunch and perhaps a short nap.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I decided to make beef stew tonight too, LWolfT, as we have potatoes and carrots that need using and that's the best way to stretch some beef.

This morning Homeless Buddy's food stamps reset, so he and I got our shopping lists, hand sanitizer, and homemade masks and went to the big Save a Lot across the river. It has a much better selection than the local one. He filled his cart (he prefers to do one major trip when his stamps come in and fill in around the edges the rest of the month) and I bought a small amount of pork, chicken and beef to restock the freezer and some odds and ends like black peppercorns, pancake syrup, and grated parmesan-Romano cheese.

The SAL had a full selection of products and was enforcing limits only on ground beef and toilet paper.

We swung by CVS on the way home to pick up my prescriptions. It is still quite picked over, with no rubbing alcohol, wipes, and almost no store brand medications.

Our final trip out today will be to take Lily Dog to the vet, and then after that it's back to another week of staying staying home. A plus side to this is that our auto insurance company reduced the cost our premiums for the next month. This was done without us asking, so now I wonder if USAA knows something we don't about when this may end.

Everyone stay snug and safe.
Mackie