Will the Country Become More Sanitary in the Future??

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
littlemiss63

Will the Country Become More Sanitary in the Future??

Post by littlemiss63 »

I was waiting for my grocery pick-up at Kroger this morning and was people watching. Everyone going into the grocery store and coming out were wearing gloves or a mask and most had both, it was surreal. I don't know if all of you are clear on the ways we get the virus or prevent it. I know I'm not because the stories seem to change day to day.

My question is will we continue to wash our hands until they are almost raw, and keep a cleaner, more sanitary home? I was always taught to wash my hands before eating and after using the restroom. What will you do differently now than before? I don't think I will ever feel as safe in shaking someone's hand or giving them a hug again.
floridacatlover

Re: Will the Country Become More Sanitary in the Future??

Post by floridacatlover »

When I picked up my Walmart order on Tuesday, I saw a lot of people going into Walmart. None had masks. There was a Walmart lady at a desk at the door but I don’t know what she was doing.

I’m willing to give up shaking hands but I don’t want to give up hugs!
snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

I would like to think so. There is everyone here wearing masks like crazy around here.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I'm willing to forgo shaking hands pretty much forever, I've seen too many people come out of bathroom stalls and just... leave, without washing :shock: . I like fist (or elbow) bumps and the things I picked up working with the Japanese - bowing, and DH picked up working with the Indians (India, not North American Indians) - putting your hands together in what looks like a prayer position at chest level and almost, but not quite, bowing. I'm really choosy about who I hug & who I let hug me.

I was raised with hand-washing protocols, household cleanliness protocols, even car-cleanliness, my mother is a clean FREAK and when you're brought up like that I've discovered one of 2 things happens: either you, too, become a clean freak (guilty) OR, like a friend of mine whose mother has the same background as mine, you become a total slob. She appears to have compensated by going the opposite route. Then her hubby became wheelchair bound (Parkinson's) and she had to clean up some, from knee level down, so he can be rolled through the walkways. I don't know if the daughters of clean freaks ever achieve middle ground.

I'm hoping there'll be more common sense used next cold/flu season when it comes to folks bringing themselves, and their children, out to a gathering of people. Church? If you or your child are sick, stay home. Baseball game? If you or your child are sick, stay home. Get-together? If you or....

Because people make irrational decisions. One kid is a 'little' sick, so the whole family shows up, and next week all 4-5 of them are sick and in another few days half the people the sick kid came in contact with and 2-3 of the parents are showing symptoms, and.... seriously, too many of our group are either 1) old and not in the greatest of health or live with / are related to older folk in not the greatest of health. Can we make just a little effort NOT to expedite anyone's demise?

Oooh. A soap box. I'm off it now.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I think people perhaps will be more sanitar, but I don't think this issue will be reslved until Employers and health care make it so that people dont have to make a choice..not buying food or being healthy. At least half of the people in this country cannot sta home when they are ill, so until we find a way to resolve that (and I dont know what it is), sick people will be in public no matter how sanitary all of us are.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I would be perfectly happy if we all adopted the respectful bow. A handshake from a woman tends to weird people in the South out anyhow, and now I'll never think the same way about hand cleanliness again.

My mother had OCD about cleaning. I keep house so that we can have guests on almost no notice, but I am not weird like shecwas. My brother's house is an actual health hazard. I've never seen so many shades of mold in one bathtub in my life! You never know which way people will go.
Mackie