Supply Line

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Re: Supply Line

Post by gaylejackson2 »

rinty wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:21 am
Well, I think your sister has a point. Remember , in this country , there has , thankfully been a lot of prep regarding BREXIT. I think it called OPERATION YELLOWHAMMER which was the no deal BREXIT planning that was looking soecifically at supply chains.

I think that has been a real blessing ( and I mean that, as a believer ) as our government had a bit of a heads up on things. Will thing still go bad. without question. We are used to a world wide supply chain for a lot of groceries.............Its February, send to Morocco for my strawberries, or whatever.

And hard hit countries like Italy and Spain, will they be able to grow , picka nd process in these peak infection times ? As you say, where are workers, what about the local transport and the supply chains there.

Totally agree with you.Get stuff in.

I mean , here. DH and I thought, shall we order some wheat ? And lets face it , most folk don't ordinarily order bloody wheat do they ? I appreciate yeast and flour are flying off shelves but wheat needs grinding A LOT to make fine flour, which people aren't going to get by dumping it in their blenders :shock: Could we find any wheat.............anywhere ???? We could not.

Ant and Grasshopper like you said.
Rinty,

Where Do you order wheat from? Do you have a grain mill to make wheat flour with? What kind of long-term food storage plan(s) do you, your children, and other LDS members do/have? Answer me by pm f you want.

I guess I never really thought about people from other countries, besides USA, when our Prophets have said to stock up on wheat, rice, beans, etc., enough for a year. Dh & I probably have 2-3 Tons of wheat, and of course now finding that we need about 1-2 Tons of GLUTEN FREE grains, and about half of our current wheat storage is disheartening.

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Yes I think there will be interruptions in the growing cycle because of not enough farm workers and trucker health. I dont think we will starve and a dont see depression type inflation. I do see interruptions. And the closer people stay to home and the healthier people get the less the interruption.
http://richlyretired.blogspot.com

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree with you Quilter51.

delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

I don't share in this concern. While it was alarming to hear about Smithfield pork plant, hundreds of other plants remain open. Also, there are many people who recover from this virus. Once anti-body testing becomes common, it will be easier to figure out who can go back to work.
Quilter51 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 pm
So my sister is convinced that the supply line is going to crash sometime later this year. I'm not sure I buy it, or rather my thinking is that we will not have as wide selection as we do now. what do you all think.

I mean, we dont have a shortage a food in this country, I am more worried about not enough workers and trucks not getting ot farmers in time and having some of their food go bad.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/13/833110486/u-s-meat-supply-is-perilously-close-to-a-shortage-ceo-warns

Just heard on the local news that hogs have experienced a loss of market price - $140 per animal is down to $100 and many farmers can't cover the cost of their operation at that price. If they decide it its too costly to feed their pigs, they will dump them on the market to get rid of feed cost. Normally good news for the frugal so they can fill their freezers, but now we combine that with processing shutdowns and possible reductions in transport and delivery and those pigs will likely just rot.

I believe there will be shortages in waves because of these situations. But I KNOW that prices are going to shoot through the roof and no matter how this pandemic develops, you will be paying much more for pork ( and everything else really) in the future.

Honestly folks - I could be totally wrong - but so could you. I would surely though be prudent and get at least a small supply to hedge against the possibility.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

colonialgirl wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:26 pm
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/13/833110486/u-s-meat-supply-is-perilously-close-to-a-shortage-ceo-warns

Just heard on the local news that hogs have experienced a loss of market price - $140 per animal is down to $100 and many farmers can't cover the cost of their operation at that price. If they decide it its too costly to feed their pigs, they will dump them on the market to get rid of feed cost. Normally good news for the frugal so they can fill their freezers, but now we combine that with processing shutdowns and possible reductions in transport and delivery and those pigs will likely just rot.

I believe there will be shortages in waves because of these situations. But I KNOW that prices are going to shoot through the roof and no matter how this pandemic develops, you will be paying much more for pork ( and everything else really) in the future.

Honestly folks - I could be totally wrong - but so could you. I would surely though be prudent and get at least a small supply to hedge against the possibility.
Exactly my thought CG and I will be doing a bit of a stock up on meat here as well.