Supply Line

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
delighted99

Re: Supply Line

Post by delighted99 »

I wanted to clarify something. The original post mentioned a fear that the supply chain would crash by the end of the year. My response was in light of the timeline and severity of the comment.

I feel like we will be in a very different place later this year based on what scientific approaches I am reading about. While I don't claim to know the future, I do know that the antibody testing approach is ramping up. If people learn they have already had COVID-19 and recovered (remember, not all experience symptoms) they can make that decision to return to work. That should make this supply chain worry go away.

https://abbott.mediaroom.com/2020-04-15-Abbott-Launches-Third-COVID-19-Test-a-Laboratory-Based-Antibody-Blood-Test-That-Will-Ship-in-the-U-S-Starting-Tomorrow

I will read that article you posted, CG.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

delighted99 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:57 pm I wanted to clarify something. The original post mentioned a fear that the supply chain would crash by the end of the year. My response was in light of the timeline and severity of the comment.

I feel like we will be in a very different place later this year based on what scientific approaches I am reading about. While I don't claim to know the future, I do know that the antibody testing approach is ramping up. If people learn they have already had COVID-19 and recovered (remember, not all experience symptoms) they can make that decision to return to work. That should make this supply chain worry go away.

https://abbott.mediaroom.com/2020-04-15-Abbott-Launches-Third-COVID-19-Test-a-Laboratory-Based-Antibody-Blood-Test-That-Will-Ship-in-the-U-S-Starting-Tomorrow

I will read that article you posted, CG.
The only problem I foresee with this antibody hope is that in Japan people that had the virus and recovered are getting the virus once again. That scares me.

I will try and find the link and post it.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

There was a story in the Washington Post that part of the supply problem is that the food industry has a lot tied up in producing for restaurants. Well, the restaurants aren't buying, and the plants can't retool fast enough to produce smaller sizes.
Don't know if that means we should be buying from restaurant supply stores or what ... But it's an interesting look at the problem.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Quilter51 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 pm So my sister is convinced that the supply line is going to crash sometime later this year. I'm not sure I buy it, or rather my thinking is that we will not have as wide selection as we do now. what do you all think.

I mean, we dont have a shortage a food in this country, I am more worried about not enough workers and trucks not getting ot farmers in time and having some of their food go bad.
I think it will be significantly limited due to the fact that farmers last year lost over a million animals due to flooding and it takes time to build up herds. Several meat packing plants have shut down due to massive covid-19 infections in their buildings. Last year there were some shortages of some veggies due to flooding. At least in several stores that I shopped in. I am thinking this might happen again. They said about a month ago that the rivers did not go back to their normal levels in the late Fall and winter and we have already had flooding on the Mississippi. I think this is the first time in about a month that they finally removed the minor flood warning in our area. The weathermen in our area are concerned since we have not even started to receive the winter snow melt off from up north. I live in IL across the river from St. Louis, MO. So we could have another wet spring and flooding like last year that prevented farmers from planting and killed thousands of farm animals. Then when farmers were able to plant it was late and crops did not develop like they should have. Also if the farmers are unable to get the workers to pick the veggies and fruit they will rot and not be sent to the canneries and plants to be processed. I forget what the name of the organization is but they have always said we are 3 days away from disaster if the food supply is somehow stopped. That is how long it would take for the shelves to be empty and we have seen that happen right now when the pandemic first started. I personally have tried to stay a little bit ahead and glad that I have. As soon as the pandemic is over with I am going to stock up even more.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:12 pm The only problem I foresee with this antibody hope is that in Japan people that had the virus and recovered are getting the virus once again. That scares me.

I will try and find the link and post it.

I heard that was occurring in China as well.
Janet Alliesmama
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

I've read about those cases as well, Jackie. I think we are seeing the beginning stages of scientists' understanding of the antibodies that result from this virus.

From the source I posted:
Antibody testing is an important next step to tell if someone has been previously infected. It will provide more understanding of the virus, including how long antibodies stay in the body and if they provide immunity.

I guess I have a lot of confidence in it. Maybe too much. We shall see.