Supply Line

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Re: Supply Line

Post by LWolfT »

I don't think the chain will crash, but I think we'll see ups and downs for a while.

Spot shortages on some items. (from what I've read, the virus has really hit the chicken and beef processing industry.) Less variety. (DH notes that companies are sending one or two varieties of an item, rather than the usual five or six or eight ...)

I do agree with Ellen that we'll see higher prices.

I think a lot depends on whether farmers can get crops in the ground on time. Another heavy rainy season isn't going to help.

It will be interesting to see if people continue to buy heavily once we're free to move around again.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I am pretty sure we will see higher prices and probably a bit less selection over the next while. Until things reach the new normal, and it will be a new normal, we are in for continuing waves of this virus. It has started again in Asia, and until a vaccine is formulated.....
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I think people buy too much anyway.

Maybe this will show that you don't really need to buy so much?

I stopped buying a lot when i started going to our more expensive local store.

Cheap prices meant people just stuffed their grocery carts. Farmers had to produce more to make a profit. Now all of that is rotting away.

Even the local food restaurant movement is suffering. There was a story about that in the nytimes.

They had ten thousand people show up at a food bank giveaway in San Antonio. They were giving out whole boxes of carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, beans. No way can one family eat all that. One lady from here went and gave out what she received. it was just too much.

We have had to do that sometimes at the church food bank. 30-50 lbs of carrots to a family at a time - crazy. And this was before the pandemic.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Yes. This is it. She is actually not a doomsday type and generally goes to the store to get what she needs that day so this is surprising.

I am concerned for farmers who are having to dispose of things and I plan to join a csa and go to farmers makers which will be open from what I can see. I think we will have plenty of food available although it may not be what we want. Iike England we are capable of producing all of our own food although there may be imports we have to do without.

I wish everything was fully shut down for 2 weeks.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I just read a story on cnn.com that Smithfield Foods is shutting down their pork processing facility in South Dakota. They say 240 of their 3,700 employees are sick with coronavirus. The CEO says there are a growing number of protein plants that have been shuttered.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/12/business/meat-plant-closures-smithfield/index.html
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

So more to the supply lines than truckers. Wish I were better prepared.