Supply Line

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Supply Line

Post by Quilter51 »

So my sister is convinced that the supply line is going to crash sometime later this year. I'm not sure I buy it, or rather my thinking is that we will not have as wide selection as we do now. what do you all think.

I mean, we dont have a shortage a food in this country, I am more worried about not enough workers and trucks not getting ot farmers in time and having some of their food go bad.
SandiSAHM

Re: Supply Line

Post by SandiSAHM »

Quilter51 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 pm So my sister is convinced that the supply line is going to crash sometime later this year. I'm not sure I buy it, or rather my thinking is that we will not have as wide selection as we do now. what do you all think.

I mean, we dont have a shortage a food in this country, I am more worried about not enough workers and trucks not getting ot farmers in time and having some of their food go bad.
I doubt it. All producers (of anything, strawberries to airliners) are happier when they make $, and in order to do THAT they have to be able to bring their product to market. They're not going to let this go on indefinitely and they're quite practiced at how to get things out for purchase. The only way the supply chain could completely collapse would be if there were literally too few people left on earth to have a person at each point where a human is required. For the most part it wouldn't even require someone who had already been doing that job before the pandemic; people can be trained.

Migrant workers could become be entirely more popular again.

Corporations won't let the market idle or die. They're barely even letting it take a breather, at least from a marketing standpoint.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

This is my thining. but my sister (who is normally as much of a stocker upper and by things aon sale type as the darned grasshopper) is convinced that we should be buying rice and dried beans and whatever so we will have food. Mind you, this is a woman who goes to the store to get what she wants to cook that night.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Quilter51 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:51 pm This is my thining. but my sister (who is normally as much of a stocker upper and by things aon sale type as the darned grasshopper) is convinced that we should be buying rice and dried beans and whatever so we will have food. Mind you, this is a woman who goes to the store to get what she wants to cook that night.
They just showed on the world news today that farmers are suffering and pouring milk down the drain bc restaurants and schools no longer buying from them. Then the farmer lamenting that his crop like 60k-70k I believe he said boxes will rot bc of the lack of business and he laid-off workers,etc. I am thinking hey wait,have the citizens come and pick it up, or give it to the food banks! Have the national reserve that are helping out the food banks come and pick up the vegetables and bring it to the food banks! Did you see the neverending lines for the food because they have lost their jobs!? Sheesh... I would pick some up if these were near me!

I mean who would wait for two days(one guy said he waited for two days in line) for free food if they weren't desperate!? I feel for them!

Having said that, I think food prices will go up dramatically. Maybe not like Venezuela where it is 150.00 for a dozen eggs type of scenario,but much more than we have been paying. Not only due to the coronavirus,BUT from the problems even before CV arrived. They had cattle decimated and farmland with flooding, in some areas drought, chickens had some disease that wiped out a lot, it takes at least 3 years I remember reading to bring a cow to production. Also corn feed expensive,tariffs and China not buying as much now, plus shipping less and ports closed due to the cornavirus and so many other factors will contribute to the perfect storm. Plus the food rpoducers/companies will want to make up for the losses they incurred due to the coronavirus, so will make up for it somehow to recoup the losses. We will see, if it will turn out like the way I am thinking. Remind me later on what I said!

As soon as this coronavirus is over and they open up everything, I am going to stockpile again even more so! Experts say maybe July or August things will start going back to normal hopefully,so then I will stock up if that is the case because usually SEPT/OCT starting the next flu season til March. So what if this resurfaces again during the flu season!? Or a second/third wave occurs-better to be prepared to lockdown again even if it is on your own! YOU cannot get it if you self quarantine and isolate yourself. The only problem is my son will be going to school and that is how I always get sick from the kid I carpool. My DH told me not to carpool him anymore, BUT he is my son's best friend and my son hangs around him during school anyway so he will get it anyway from him!? It is because he has a little sister who gets really sick bc she is at that age 5-6 years old-I remember my kids getting it from first grade,elementary school,etc-just virus churning environments in school! And two of my kids work in schools, so they are always exposed and getting sick! THIS past winter alone at my youngest son's high school, they had whooping cough, hands,mouth and foot disease and a really bad flu going around and we kept getting warnings.
rinty

Post by rinty »

Quilter51 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 pm So my sister is convinced that the supply line is going to crash sometime later this year. I'm not sure I buy it, or rather my thinking is that we will not have as wide selection as we do now. what do you all think.

Well, I think your sister has a point. Remember , in this country , there has , thankfully been a lot of prep regarding BREXIT. I think it called OPERATION YELLOWHAMMER which was the no deal BREXIT planning that was looking soecifically at supply chains.

I think that has been a real blessing ( and I mean that, as a believer ) as our government had a bit of a heads up on things. Will thing still go bad. without question. We are used to a world wide supply chain for a lot of groceries.............Its February, send to Morocco for my strawberries, or whatever.

And hard hit countries like Italy and Spain, will they be able to grow , picka nd process in these peak infection times ? As you say, where are workers, what about the local transport and the supply chains there.

Totally agree with you.Get stuff in.

I mean , here. DH and I thought, shall we order some wheat ? And lets face it , most folk don't ordinarily order bloody wheat do they ? I appreciate yeast and flour are flying off shelves but wheat needs grinding A LOT to make fine flour, which people aren't going to get by dumping it in their blenders :shock: Could we find any wheat.............anywhere ???? We could not.

Ant and Grasshopper like you said.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree with you quilter. My neighbor who is kind of a doomsday type sent out a supposedly official letter several weeks ago saying everything was going into lockdown on that Friday. It didn't happen. That being said, we may have to learn to eat more locally available produce due to reduced globally transported food. And for some, that will be an adjustment.