What to do with leftover Ham "Juice"?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Re: What to do with leftover Ham "Juice"?

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I saved my ham juice too. I often make split pea & ham soup, or other dry beans, plus ham & some veggies made into soup.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

I'd set it on the stove to simmer for a while, until it cooks down by half, so you have a concentrated broth. That way you'll take up less space freezing it.

I'm jealous, btw.
ohjodi
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

Thank you EVERYONE! I am so glad I asked for ideas. Your ideas are the best.

I ended up using about a cup and a half of "Ham Juice" to make my Grandmas vegetable pea soup. I found the recipe written in her 1941 American Cook Book. It is delicious soup. 1.5 cups of split green peas, 2 diced carrots, 3 stalks of celery with leaves, 1 diced onion, pepper, 1.5 cups of diced ham and 1.5 quarts of water. Let all but the ham simmer for about 45 minutes, then add the ham. Stir occasionally. Add the ham and simmer 15 more minutes. Delicious. It was nice with cornbread. I need to read the old WW2 cookbook. I'm sure it has lots of treasures. My Gram wrote this recipe in the front cover.

I froze the rest in cubes and am going to make more of your recipes. I am really excited about the directions for pinto beans. I used to live in down South and have had pintos that melted in your mouth. I am anxious to try your recipe. I love beans.

Regards,
Jgomez
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

jgomez1002 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:43 pm Thank you EVERYONE! I am so glad I asked for ideas. Your ideas are the best.

I ended up using about a cup and a half of "Ham Juice" to make my Grandmas vegetable pea soup. I found the recipe written in her 1941 American Cook Book. It is delicious soup. 1.5 cups of split green peas, 2 diced carrots, 3 stalks of celery with leaves, 1 diced onion, pepper, 1.5 cups of diced ham and 1.5 quarts of water. Let all but the ham simmer for about 45 minutes, then add the ham. Stir occasionally. Add the ham and simmer 15 more minutes. Delicious. It was nice with cornbread. I need to read the old WW2 cookbook. I'm sure it has lots of treasures. My Gram wrote this recipe in the front cover.

I froze the rest in cubes and am going to make more of your recipes. I am really excited about the directions for pinto beans. I used to live in down South and have had pintos that melted in your mouth. I am anxious to try your recipe. I love beans.

Regards,
Jgomez
We do love our pinto beans in the South. Another little trick you might want to try since everyone thinks you should take a "Beano Tablet" before eating them is this. Pick them to make sure there are no rocks in them or bad beans while rinsing them thoroughly. To degas them add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to four quarts of water. Cover them with hot water and bring to a boil. Let them set for about 4 hours, then drain that water off. They are ready then to cook until tender. Takes about an hour in my Ninja Slow Cooker. Served with Buttermilk Cornbread, creamed potatoes, slice of sweet onion and tomatoes is a great meal. If you didn't have ham to add, this makes a great meatless meal.

I have written down your Grams recipe and I'm going to try it. I've never made split pea soup, so that will be a new experience for me. Thanks for sharing!