Do you think life in the USA will change after this?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Do you think life in the USA will change after this?

Post by clemencia2us »

I've been reading other forums and news sites. Many of them mention how the USA adapted and changed after big events such as the World Wars.

Will that happen this time? I hope we do not become more resentful and not willing to help others.

What about universal health care? I would love to see that here in the USA.

The Preamble to the Constitution says

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America

To me that also means taking care of each other. None of this to each their own, and if you can't do it on your own - too bad.

MackerelCat

Re: Do you think life in the USA will change after this?

Post by MackerelCat »

In my wild frugal/just enough dreams, I hope this makes people put the brakes on consumerism after realizing that they don't need much stuff. I also hope more manufacturing comes back to the US, although that may be a pipe dream.

And I hope that companies look at the success of letting people work at home and let it continue for those whom it suits. Getting traffic off the roads vastly improved the air quality where I live, far faster and better than any mandated measures.

And if cooking and eating together, having less hectic lives, and just goofing around in the yard and the parks as families continues, that will be great too.
Mackie

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:27 pm
In my wild frugal/just enough dreams, I hope this makes people put the brakes on consumerism after realizing that they don't need much stuff. I also hope more manufacturing comes back to the US, although that may be a pipe dream.

And I hope that companies look at the success of letting people work at home and let it continue for those whom it suits. Getting traffic off the roads vastly improved the air quality where I live, far faster and better than any mandated measures.

And if cooking and eating together, having less hectic lives, and just goofing around in the yard and the parks as families continues, that will be great too.
YES! Bring back manufacturing to America!

why the heck did it go away before?????????

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

YES. I believe this is going to change the way we live somewhat and the way we work - a lot. We have discovered how much work, including meetings, can be done "virtually", we have discovered that all the business travel isn't necessary -- we are still learning a whole lot of things every day.

I am pretty sure once things settle back into a "new normal" that I won't be returning to my office full time. I'll be there more than once a week like I am now, but it'll be something more like three days one week, two days the next...repeat. The jury is still out on how I feel about that.

It will be a long time - if ever - before we crowd people elbow to elbow into meeting rooms with each other again. I don't even know all the things that will change permanently - but changes will happen and they will be permanent.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

People wanted cheap stuff and so manufacturing went overseas to make things less expensive. Blue jeans cost less now than when Clinton was running for office the first time around. But the quality has gone way down and now you have to make a concentrated effort to buy things made in the USA.

I was thinking during the Great TP Shortage, when you could order it from China but not buy it at the corner store, that things had gotten beyond ridiculous.

Like you, Clem, I would also like to see national healthcare. What we have now is not taking good care of either the people or the healthcare system.
Mackie

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

clemencia2us wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:36 pm
YES! Bring back manufacturing to America!

why the heck did it go away before?????????
It went away before because it became more profitable to make things elsewhere and only sell them here.

Things may MOVE (away from China... toward India, probably) but I doubt much will come 'back' - it's just too expensive to make things here. You make them expensive, no one will buy them (or they'll economize or prioritize, and buy ONE, instead of five, or only the thing they need, versus the cheaper (outsourced) thing they need and three other things they just want.

We're too marketed-to and experience too much "want," for things to ever be made here again - UNLESS - we go back to the days when people (the poor) were paid a pittance to manufacture for those who could (the rich) buy. You know, that pre-union thing that happened at the early part of the industrial revolution.

Corporations don't truly want the people doing the work to be poor anymore, though, that limits the market for their goods. And the corporations run the show (unless you pull the personal consumption plug - but outside of this group, what % of folks do you know who aren't led by "want" instead of need and think it's "normal" to go into debt to feed that want instead of saving to pay cash?). The best thing that could happen to most folks (they'd hate it, though) is for advertising to just... stop. As if any industry - pharma, hotels, entertainment, clothing, fast food (slow food!), ELECTRONICS, communications, automotive.... you get the idea... would let that happen. None of them want any sort of change to the pace of consumerism. Except speeding it up, they'd like that!

See also - a movie called "The True Cost" - it's interesting. It focuses on ONE industry, but the issues exist in all of them.