What Are You Stockpiling And How Are You Keeping Track

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: What Are You Stockpiling And How Are You Keeping Track

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:48 am
I’m not a big potato user but I’m buying some of these packs for my stockpile. After today’s pickup I’ll have five in a variety of flavors. Sour cream and chive is my favorite. Mom always bought them and kept 4-6 packs on hand.

Are you all saying put them in the freezer or refrigerator in the packaging? Mom always kept them in the pantry and they were fine.
I keep my potato packages in the fridge. But then I keep all pasta, rice and flour, pancake mix etc in my second fridge.

Also keep the tuna packages in the fridge.

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

clemencia2us wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:54 am
I keep my potato packages in the fridge. But then I keep all pasta, rice and flour, pancake mix etc in my second fridge.

Clem, I've read you shouldn't keep flour in the bag when you freeze or store in your refrigerator, have you found that to be true. Tight container in fridge they say will keep up to a year. I freeze all my pastas and rice and have never had a problem with those. I make my own pancake mix so if my flour is good, then I'm good to go on that.

I had my tuna pouches in the pantry, I will switch those to my outside refrigerator.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

clemencia2us wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:54 am

OK, good to know. Now that I think about it, I put two packages of the potatoes in mom’s pantry yesterday. But I don’t keep the a/c as cool over there. So tomorrow I’ll move them to the refrigerator.

jckitty

Post by jckitty »

I grew up with a truck patch, we raised everything in the way of veggies. Canned and froze everything.
I always had a huge garden until the girls were raised. Then I started cutting down on the size of the garden.

Because i was a single working mother i used to can meals so when I got home dinner was easier. Chicken and noodles, beef stew, ham and beans and different soups. We didn't eat out, it was a very special occasion to even go to the burger joints.

I stayed up many nights canning so I could get it all done. I don't think I miss the hard work, but i do miss the camaraderie of gardening, canning and eating together . My girls still do a lot of that. I have taught them how to can meat and DD1 is teaching the grands.

We had some animals growing up, but didn't process any except chickens.
I had animals myself but gave up everything but the chickens. DD1 and family raise some pigs for all of us now.

I found 2 collapsible racks in the garage that I had forgotten about...from my dumpster diving days LOL. They are perfect for my under the bed storage I am planning...Just need to clean them up.

JCKitty

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

littlemiss63 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:19 pm
Clem, I've read you shouldn't keep flour in the bag when you freeze or store in your refrigerator, have you found that to be true. Tight container in fridge they say will keep up to a year. I freeze all my pastas and rice and have never had a problem with those. I make my own pancake mix so if my flour is good, then I'm good to go on that.

I had my tuna pouches in the pantry, I will switch those to my outside refrigerator.
I buy small bags of flour and have always just kept it in the bag in the fridge.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Once you freeze flour for two weeks - the weevils all of their eggs are dead. Don't mean to gross you all out but they are in all grains. After that all you have to do is put them in an airtight container with a couple of bay leaves and that flour will last 3-5 years as is. No need to refrigerate and take up that valuable space. Just make sure your air tight container is food grade.