Daily Check In May 4, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Daily Check In May 4, 2020

Post by HappyDaze »

Greetings Friends and Happy Monday!

I had a good and productive weekend. Productive - yet relaxing - can you get any better than that? I finished some little tasks that have been "pestering" me - sewing on a button, sweeping out my back entryway, sorting the recycling - you get the idea.

Yesterday I did some "crafting my way" and made a wreath by twisting together some wild vines that I cut. I love crafting from things found in nature. Although not found in nature, I have an old pallet in my garage that I want to take apart and make some things with. I'm determined to get more creative now that "my" thrift store won't be opening back up and heaven only knows when and if there will be yard sales again.

I had several long walks - both with the dogs and without - and enjoyed the nice weather. I also treated myself to some really bad (but really good!) fast food - something I "never" do. If you really look at the menu, Taco Bell has several meatless options. I got nachos, 3 spicy potato tacos and some kind of "rolled up cheese thing". To make it "less bad" - I walked - and I'm guessing it's about 2 miles each way.

My sleep was interrupted at 2-ish this morning and I haven't been able to do more that "doze" since then - I hate nights like that - it's going to be a long day "at work" (translation - at my kitchen table). At any rate, I guess I'd best embrace it - as they say "lean into the suck".

Wish you all a very good day!!

gaylejackson2

Re: Daily Check In May 4, 2020

Post by gaylejackson2 »

May the Fourth Be With You!! Yeah its a corny joke but I’m okay with that.

I sent off dh about an hour ago to start his 2nd week (in Cedar City) away from us, so far, this year. Neither he Nor I slept much during the night-me due to aching joints & the heavy barometric pressure.

Speaking of barometric pressure, it has been raining here since Friday Afternoon!!😮 Saturday was the only “predicted” day, it was off & on. Today’s high predicted to be 60°F and cloudy (yesterday it said partly cloudy)—my guess is the rain will continue.

We were very lazy yesterday, watched old movies in the morning (like ‘Ferris Bueller’s Day Off’), then 3 youngest played at the neighbor’s while dh & ds15 took the puppies for a run as ds17 & I napped. Dinner of a largish boneless Pork Loin cooked slowly all day, then later I cooked brown rice & steamed sweet green peas and dh made a thin gravy. Later, was two versions of Frozen Lemon Pie for dessert (original & dairy-free).

Today starts another schoolwork week for the kids. I’ll be pushing ds12 & ds17 to get caught up in their classes—as well as nudging dd7 & dd9 to get their work done too. Ds15 has Not needed any pestering from Mom, thankfully!!

I’m thinking this week, starting today, that I’ll sit on couch with my knitting or crocheting near the three youngest while they do their work.

I have only to add the ties on this latest batch of masks that I’ve been working on, then they will be done—includes 4 masks for dh & boys.

Speaking of masks, dh says even less people in Cedar City wear masks than up here. Kinda sucks as he’s got cold symptoms including dry cough—he’s hoping its just stupid seasonal allergies & not covid19.

Am off to read a bit of the forum & try to get more sleep. I’ll check back in tonight.
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Mon May 04, 2020 6:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

HappyDaze wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:48 am
Greetings Friends and Happy Monday!

I had a good and productive weekend. Productive - yet relaxing - can you get any better than that? I finished some little tasks that have been "pestering" me - sewing on a button, sweeping out my back entryway, sorting the recycling - you get the idea.

Yesterday I did some "crafting my way" and made a wreath by twisting together some wild vines that I cut. I love crafting from things found in nature. Although not found in nature, I have an old pallet in my garage that I want to take apart and make some things with. I'm determined to get more creative now that "my" thrift store won't be opening back up and heaven only knows when and if there will be yard sales again.

I had several long walks - both with the dogs and without - and enjoyed the nice weather. I also treated myself to some really bad (but really good!) fast food - something I "never" do. If you really look at the menu, Taco Bell has several meatless options. I got nachos, 3 spicy potato tacos and some kind of "rolled up cheese thing". To make it "less bad" - I walked - and I'm guessing it's about 2 miles each way.

My sleep was interrupted at 2-ish this morning and I haven't been able to do more that "doze" since then - I hate nights like that - it's going to be a long day "at work" (translation - at my kitchen table). At any rate, I guess I'd best embrace it - as they say "lean into the suck".

Wish you all a very good day!!
I’ve never heard that phrase “lean into the suck.”

Best of luck to you on your long day—at least you're riding it out at your kitchen table. 😉

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

I’m up very early because of Pippi. I heard her throw up and thought I’d get up. I’ve never been an early morning person. I was fortunate to never work in an early morning job.

I’m looking forward to going to mom’s house this morning to do some trimming. I’ll transfer a few more frozen items from my house to mom’s refrigerator/freezer to make room at my house for frozen items in my Walmart order tomorrow. I also may transfer some pantry items.

Lots of thoughts going through my mind but they would put me in the political weeds so I’ll stay silent here and share on my FaceTime with Friends call tomorrow. I’m thankful to have that place to share.

I started watching a few episodes of a BBC/Netflix reality-type show called Win the Wilderness. Six British couples are trying to be selected to take over a very remote home and land in Alaska. The older couple who built it by hand knows they need to be closer to civilization. Dutch friend recommended it.

Have a good day and stay safe.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Just looked at the forecast for today and while it won't be as beautiful as yesterday, it will be a mild and partly cloudy day with some brisk winds later this afternoon.

I don't know if the Vitality Group leader will be having another call today as yet; will have to check my email between 8:00 and 10:00. The calls are a bit rough as there are some who go "umhum" after every sentence that is spoken as if they are on the line alone with the person and you miss 3 or 4 words of the next one. One last week must have said 100 times that she only got notice of a phone call 1x as opposed to the last few weeks. I tried to explain that you can't have too many on a call like this who don't understand the protocols of conference calls otherwise it becomes a circus. The last call to my mind got a bit out of hand. If she does have another one today, I will just put it on speaker and see if she can keep it under control.

Today is Monday chores and I will try to fit in a walk later this afternoon. I also need to wash my hair again later; can't let it go past 4 days if I need to go out on the 5th day. The rest of the day will be spontaneous.

Tonight I will have a pork chop, potato and vegetable for supper.

Today is being signified as National Candied Orange Peel Day although there is no record of its creator or origin and no record of it being officially designated as "National" by any President.

National Candied Orange Peel Day is dedicated to...you guessed it.... candied orange peels!

I've heard of lemon "zest" but never a candied orange peel. And, yes it is edible. If you are a chef or a baker, then you know just what it is, and how to use it. For the rest of us, we likely have enjoyed it in seasonal baked goods all of our lives, without even knowing we have eaten it.

Candied orange peels are a boiled, sliced, sugar added treat. You can eat them by themselves. But most often, they are used in holiday cookies, snacks, and fruitcake.

Have a nice day everyone.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

Another perfect day in Central Florida. I woke up late. The sun got up first. Yesterday was a meatless day by accident, but it was fine. I walked to the produce stand and bought celery and we had celery with cream cheese for lunch and then crockpot beans for an early supper. Beans are so good and so filling, no evening snack was needed. They had eggplant on sale and I got one to add to stir fry today. I love the way eggplant absorbs the flavor from other foods, yet maintains a good texture.

Today, I plan to continue working on my gardens. I emptied the bag of garden soil that ants had nested in. They had moved on which was good. I was ready for war if necessary. The excellent weather lets me work most of the day. In a month, the heat of the day will reduce my efficiency.

We have been eating out of the freezer for meat, so I have no idea what the meat prices are. My neighbors say they are expensive. I have 2-3 weeks of meat left in the freezer, so maybe things will be back to "normal" by then. Before I start buying again, I will defrost the chest freezer in preparation for hurricane season. Things are going according to plan so far.

Today, I am grateful for the wonderful weather. Have a good day everyone.