Daily Check In May 4, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In May 4, 2020

Post by MackerelCat »

The White House vinegar company has started making alcohol-based hand sanitizer. I saw it in Food Lion in the familiar vinegar bottles with a new label. It was $5.99 a bottle. Wonder if that has anything to do with a vinegar shortage?
Mackie

jckitty

Post by jckitty »

LittleMiss,

Maybe they are stocking up for canning, pickling season.

I did get some with my Aldi's order!! The website said they may be out but i took a chance a got some!

I use a lot of vinegar, cleaning windows, laundry freshening the sinks and so on.I am also guilty of not measuring it :( I have a tendency to just splash it around....need to change my ways.

How are you ? Doing good?

JCKitty

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Hi everyone,

Busy morning. So exciting! I like being productive again.

The Hot pepper jelly I made Sat morning is still very runny. Oh well, I like to use it instead of pickle juice when I make tuna salad or I top a brick of cream cheese with it and eat with crackers. So not a disaster.

Visited with my Mom and Dad yesterday. They had to go down so Mom could get a Covid test as the last step in preparation for back surgery Wednesday. Dad will be able to sit in the hospital during the surgery and talk to the Dr. afterwards, but he will not be able to see her until she is released to go home.

Yesterday I was just so over everything. I had gotten up, did a few Sudoku puzzles, sewn some bowl cozies, flipped through the stations for something I wanted to watch... Nothing held my attention. It rained most of the day, so dark and gloomy. But we have sun today and I feel a lot better. Having work to focus on helps.

Have a great day,
Maggie

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good afternoon all

Got up at 6 to get ready for my morning walk.

That went well. It was warm out there and it will hit 90 or so today. But we will survive!!

And today was laundromat day. Washed the blankets/quilts and all the pet blankets. I have several of those small felt like blankets scattered on the floor and in the crates. I have about 30 or so of them. Not all were dirty but at least 20.

This time people were wearing masks in the 'mat.

Came home, made up my bed and will relax for a bit. Going to make some tuna for dinner.

Meatless Monday in May!

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

gaylejackson2 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:01 am
I’ve never heard that phrase “lean into the suck.”

Best of luck to you on your long day—at least you're riding it out at your kitchen table. 😉
Gayle, that phrase "lean into the suck" was coined by Sheryl Sandberg who is a big wig at Facebook. After her husband died suddenly a few years ago, it was advice she got from her Rabi.

Have you ever heard of the book (and website and facebook group, etc.) called Option B? Sheryl wrote the book with a guy named Adam Grant after her husband died. The basic premise of the book is "Option A is not available -- so let's just kick the **** out of Option B."

Those words were actually spoken to Sheryl by a family friend who was taking her daughter to the father daughter dance at school. Sheryl was crying and saying she wanted her husband to be alive to take their daughter -- and the friend said that to her about Option A and Option B.

I am not a big believer in self help books - I don't like them, they bore me. But - now I guess I'm going to tell you and anyone else reading this a "little story". I was grasping at straws 3 years ago, trying, quite literally, to pick myself up and put myself back together. It was going to be really, REALLY bad - or it was going to be kind of bad and go UP from there. I found that book - and it got me focused on the "up from here" instead of the black hole I was staring into.

That phrase about Option B became my motto - and I said "Okay, I don't have Option A anymore - it's GONE. I'm going to have the BEST Option B I can possibly have." I joined book clubs and took classes and went to events and contacted old friends and "embraced the suck" and showed up and did the work and got better.

I joined the facebook group. When I woke up at 2 a.m. and there was nobody here - there was somebody there. In time, I was the "somebody there" for others - and gradually I didn't need that group anymore. I still refer to the book from time to time - mostly as a reference for helping someone else.

Wow - this go long. Thanks for listening.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Happy Daze

I was thinking about self help books today.

One that i like is by M. Scott Peck. The first sentence is "Life is difficult"

And yes it is. Helps keep me going

its The Road Less Traveled.