Frozen Bell Peppers & Onions

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
littlemiss63

Frozen Bell Peppers & Onions

Post by littlemiss63 »

I have noticed that you can buy these frozen at Kroger & Walmart. I've never used them before and wondered if any of you had and how you liked them. The prices are a little higher, but I hate cutting up onions. The smell it leaves on my hands, plus eyes burning. I wouldn't mind paying a little more if they taste good in cooking. I would still need my fresh onion to eat with my veggies. I like bell pepper in meat loaf, spaghetti sauce, etc but not for eating alone dipped in ranch dressing or some other sauce. I've just always used fresh onions in my cooking, seldom used dehydrated either. I am definitely not a fan of dehydrated ones.
clemencia2us

Re: Frozen Bell Peppers & Onions

Post by clemencia2us »

littlemiss63 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:18 pm I have noticed that you can buy these frozen at Kroger & Walmart. I've never used them before and wondered if any of you had and how you liked them. The prices are a little higher, but I hate cutting up onions. The smell it leaves on my hands, plus eyes burning. I wouldn't mind paying a little more if they taste good in cooking. I would still need my fresh onion to eat with my veggies. I like bell pepper in meat loaf, spaghetti sauce, etc but not for eating alone dipped in ranch dressing or some other sauce. I've just always used fresh onions in my cooking, seldom used dehydrated either. I am definitely not a fan of dehydrated ones.
I've bought packages from Schwan's! Not bad. But I prefer the real thing. Good to have on hand just in case.

I ate my first bell pepper from my garden today. It was so tasty. We had Taco Tuesday and we sliced him up and sauteed him in the meat. Delicious.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I buy them all the time. We font have a garden other than herbs. Depending on the many we dry on paper towel first like for fajitas. I make a meal that is either chicken breast or boneless thoughts topped with the mix, then fahita or taco seasning, then olive oil drizzle nd a bag of Mexican cheese.

I also occasionally cheat and make slow cooker sausage and peppers with the same. Have the cooker on high fir awhile than just cover and leave for a few hours

I also keep frozen Mirapex blend, onions and pearl.ionions on hand at all times. Knives and I haven't gotten along since girl scouts.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I had a similar problem when cutting up jalapeños. They made my fingers burn. So I started freezing them first and then chopping them up while still partly frozen. It worked beautifully and still gave food kick. I don't have the issue with onions, but I thought I would share my experience in case someone finds it useful.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I love frozen peppers, but not frozen onions.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

littlemiss63 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:18 pm I have noticed that you can buy these frozen at Kroger & Walmart. I've never used them before and wondered if any of you had and how you liked them. The prices are a little higher, but I hate cutting up onions. The smell it leaves on my hands, plus eyes burning. I wouldn't mind paying a little more if they taste good in cooking. I would still need my fresh onion to eat with my veggies. I like bell pepper in meat loaf, spaghetti sauce, etc but not for eating alone dipped in ranch dressing or some other sauce. I've just always used fresh onions in my cooking, seldom used dehydrated either. I am definitely not a fan of dehydrated ones.
I don't like the taste of frozen ones in the bags. They don't taste the same. However, when I cut them up on my own and freeze them, they taste better than the bagged ones and almost normal-pretty much normal. So now if I use half a bell pepper ,then I cut up the other half or if near going bad, I cut them up and freeze it now.