Turkey prices 2015

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
dlrcpa

Re: Turkey prices 2015

Post by dlrcpa »

The serious competition here is also 59 cents/lb. One store limited to 1 turkey, another store to 2 at that price. I have 1 in the freezer, will probably get a 2nd one and cook it as soon as thawed and freeze the meat. Happy with these prices.

ChopinLover

Post by ChopinLover »

Just got my FREE turkey at WInco with $100 purchase of ANYthing in the store, no exclusions, so stocked up on laundry soap, wine, TP, etc. The sale price was .72 lb otherwise. I tried to find the biggest one, was hoping for a 20+lb but the best I could do was 18.50 lbs. It'll do. I still have a free one from last year at Fry's [Kroger].
This year I also said to heck with scrubbing out the big roaster--I picked up a foil pan with handles for $1.68. I considered the roasting bags but they cost the same as a foil pan! The bags never seem to be totally 'clean' either.. so trying this approach.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

ChopinLover wrote:Just got my FREE turkey at WInco with $100 purchase of ANYthing in the store, no exclusions, so stocked up on laundry soap, wine, TP, etc. The sale price was .72 lb otherwise. I tried to find the biggest one, was hoping for a 20+lb but the best I could do was 18.50 lbs. It'll do. I still have a free one from last year at Fry's [Kroger].
This year I also said to heck with scrubbing out the big roaster--I picked up a foil pan with handles for $1.68. I considered the roasting bags but they cost the same as a foil pan! The bags never seem to be totally 'clean' either.. so trying this approach.
Don't you find that the cooking bags seem to "steam" the turkey and make it fall apart rather than allowing slicing?

ChopinLover

Post by ChopinLover »

Yes, half steamed. My family seemed to like it, but me, not so much.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Interesting information about the bags. I never used them and now I think I made the right decision. I am slow cooking a turkey breast since there are only 2 of us and the temperature outside will be 80+. I kind of miss the crispy skin of roasted turkey, but I do enjoy how the meat comes out. Slow cooking is hassle free and may be a bit frugal since a small space is heated up. Cooking time for the breast is about 4 hours, so no savings there. I don't know for sure about how frugal it might be. But the breast will last several meals based on previous times and leaves very little clean up and frig storage.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Dgflorida wrote:Interesting information about the bags. I never used them and now I think I made the right decision. I am slow cooking a turkey breast since there are only 2 of us and the temperature outside will be 80+. I kind of miss the crispy skin of roasted turkey, but I do enjoy how the meat comes out. Slow cooking is hassle free and may be a bit frugal since a small space is heated up. Cooking time for the breast is about 4 hours, so no savings there. I don't know for sure about how frugal it might be. But the breast will last several meals based on previous times and leaves very little clean up and frig storage.
I've got my "broth chicken" simmering and tomorrow will roast a chicken while putting together the dressing and making the giblet gravy. I use a countertop rotisserie (can take up to 8 pounds and I have fixed a turkey breast in it several times).

We're set for major rain and cold temps to move in early tomorrow and hang around through the weekend with a slight chance of snow.