Daily check in May 20, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in May 20, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all. Let's get started.

clemencia2us

Re: Daily check in May 20, 2020

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning my fellow hermit misers

Well didn't get up at 5 am but was up by 6

Didn't get as much sleep as I wanted, but don't feel sleepy. I went to bed at 930. I was sleeping but my poor oldest dog had other plans. He kept getting up every hour and just wandering around. I think he has a little dementia. So I would get up with him and then put him back in bed.

Then I kept getting texts at 5am. Today is my oldest siblings first heavenly birthday. So others were feeling it and just wanted to share. We will be getting together later this evening.

So now I am drinking my coffee and reading our crazy world news before I hit the trail.

Have a great day

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

It is looking like a lovely day here in Central Florida. 68F to start the day and 86F predicted for a high temperature. A good do something day.

Today, I am supposed to get a second estimate on mowing the front grass and long ditch. Thanks to the weekend rain, there is a little green showing here and there.

I visited a neighbor yesterday. I like to check on them once a week or so. They have the bad roof and they have to wait on the roofing manufacture to see if they get any money back. However, when it rains, they are at risk for leaks. I told her the story of the retina doctor's efforts to reassure me. She and I had a laugh over the term "virucide". She commented that she had never seen me wear earrings before. I explained that I can't wear them and a mask because they get caught when I take the mask off. She said that she had dressed up for dinner on Sunday, confusing her husband. But she just needed to put on her jewelry. We had a laugh over our need to dress up. I am afraid a mask will never be a fashion statement for me.

I woke up in the middle of the night and started my study of viruses. The corona virus family is an RNA coated virus family. They evolve more rapidly than the DNA viruses. A vaccine for an RNA virus is unlikely to be effective. And because they are coated, that is like the wax coating on fruits and vegetables to increase shelf life, they can exist longer on surfaces outside of the host. They also jump host species. The only good thing about an RNA virus is that it often evolves itself out of existence, so to speak. The corona virus family is well known for respiratory infections. Next I will study up on quinine.

It was interesting to read that so many seem to be feeling uneasy. I am having a lot more anxiety type dreams. Usually, something mechanical is broken and I can't get anyone to fix it.
I think I will be less anxiety when I can get back to building my gardens. Right now, I hesitate to bend over a lot due to the healing tooth extraction hole. But I am so glad that tooth is gone.

Today, I am grateful for another lovely day to enjoy. Have a lovely day everyone.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning frugals. Another overcast, gloomy day today. A bit chilly. Looks like tomorrow will be a decent day but the rest of the week chance of rain and or storms.

Not much going on here other than the usual household tasks.

Take care and be safe. Janet

Sometimes when I say "Take Care" I remember a friend from Kenya, Africa. We met while working as traveling therapist in the state of IL. After being here for a couple of years he planned on going home for a visit. Another friend of his told him that when he went home he had to act like an American. He asked what does that entailed ? His friend said, you have to always be in a rush to go somewhere and have to tell everyone "take care." I just never thought of that being an American thing but I guess it is.Also when we first met he would ask me to join him for dinner and he would add "7:00 PM British time." I finally asked him what he meant by "British time." He said British time was on the dot and Kenyan was an hour or two either way..lol.
Janet Alliesmama

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:43 am
Good morning all,

I woke up in the middle of the night and started my study of viruses. The corona virus family is an RNA coated virus family. They evolve more rapidly than the DNA viruses. A vaccine for an RNA virus is unlikely to be effective. And because they are coated, that is like the wax coating on fruits and vegetables to increase shelf life, they can exist longer on surfaces outside of the host. They also jump host species. The only good thing about an RNA virus is that it often evolves itself out of existence, so to speak. The corona virus family is well known for respiratory infections. Next I will study up on quinine.
I laughed when the so called experts were saying that the corona virus was DNA based months ago. As a microbiologist and as someone who studied virology in University I knew that was wrong.

However in saying that there are a few virus's that are DNA based. The flu and common cold are two. I believe they are single strand DNA, I can't at the moment remember the double string DNA virus's.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It got very warm here on the old homestead yesterday, and is supposed to be even warmer today. I am hoping to get to DS's before it gets too warm out. Pretty sure all this heat and wind is going to blow something in one of these days. I suspect a pretty good electrical storm at some point. The wind had lessened by last evening, but seems to have picked up again overnight.

I have a few chores to do before I head out to my apartment cleaning gig. DS is excited to show me his new toy and computer program. I guess he got some kind of printer called a PIXEL (something like that), and it can print very large sheets. Then the programme he is using with it lets you manipulate photos more than any other programme. He can show me everything after work today, which means that I will get all his groceries in and away as well as some apartment cleaning before he gets a chance. Hopefully even get supper made.

Frugally speaking I will not be spending any real cash today, which is good. I will be reimbursed for most of DS's groceries, I plan on bringing up some of the beer that Hubby made and perhaps a bottle of wine. Hubby has lots are leftovers to munch on while I am gone and since I ran the dishwasher last night it should not need to be done again until I get home.

I will be heading out for my morning exercise in a little bit, and then back to finish off my packing and get those household chores done. After that its load up the vehicle, text DS that I am on my way, give Hubby a kiss and take off.

I should be home on Friday if all goes well. I am hopeful that DS is getting around even better, and that after his next appointment he will be able to put even more weight on his leg and hip.

Off to get the day started. Joy is in my daily walks and watching the small critters that live in our city.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.