Daily check in May 23, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
itspennyc

Re: Daily check in May 23, 2020

Post by itspennyc »

I have an 8" by 10 " plaque of the Lincoln on the Wheat Pennies, it was released the same year the new Penny design was announced.

It was given to my parents as a wedding present. My Mom gave it to me, my daughter will get it after me.

I also have an incomplete penny collection.

Penny

Carol V

Post by Carol V »

frugalaaron wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:27 pm
Do you have any of the 1943 steel ones? You might already know this, but all pennies made in 1943 were made from steel, instead of copper--due to copper being reserved for making shell casings for the military. I always thought they were neat, since they shined like the other silver coins.
I'll have to check my pennies. I have a lot of them separated by the year so it shouldn't take too long.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

floridacatlover wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:49 pm
I have a 1943 steel penny. I also have a 1909 VDB but not the rare one, the SVDB.
I’m ignorant in terms of pennies. I always thought the wheat & steel pennies were the “top of the line.”

What are VDB and SVDB pennies?

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Carol V wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:30 pm
\

I found two Indian head pennies at Walmart, different days in differeant areas. One is 1897 and the other is 1907. The older one is in better shape but they are both good. Unfortunately they are both worth only about 50 cents each. I'll just hang onto them as 'conversation pieces'.
Oh wow!! That is so cool!!

Carol V

Post by Carol V »

gaylejackson2 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:11 am
Oh wow!! That is so cool!!
I thought so too. Was hoping they'd be worth more but I like just having them.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

My dad's final effects included two metal Band-Aid boxes filled with wheat pennies and buffalo nickles. When my mom died, I divided them evenly between myself and my brother. They weren't collector quality, but when we were broke and needed to replace our washing machine, my husband took the box to a coin shop and discovered that the old wheat pennies had value to companies that make recognition plaques. One of the pennies gets mounted in acrylic and displayed on someone's desk as an atta boy award. So the coin dealer bought the wheats off us for 2 cents each, depending on quality. The buffalos had slightly greater than face value for some similar reason, if the quality was good.

I think we wound up making about a hundred dollars off that box. My dad would have been pleased that his magpie habit helped us out.
Mackie