Daily check in May 23, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Re: Daily check in May 23, 2020

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

It's going to be on and off rain today, no big deal - no real plans anyway.

Think I will go through my dvds today and pick out a movie I haven't watched in a long time. I'm going to work on a few logic problems and play some computer games.

Tonight I'm having tacos. When I first make them, I have enough left over for 3 more times. Today will be the 3rd serving; I'll have one more left.

Today is "Lucky Penny Day". You've heard the saying "see a penny, pick it up, all the day you'll have good luck."

A penny doesn't buy anything and hasn't for quite some time. Remember going to the corner store and buying a handful of penny candy? There have been discussions on discontinuing the penny . . . but if they did, how would we ever pay the odd penny sales tax?

The penny still serves a very useful purpose... at least some of them are lucky. It takes only one lucky penny to scratch off the mega winner on a scratch-off ticket.

Are you superstitious? Superstition has it that you should only pick up a penny that is lying face up.

Here are some other uses for pennies:

A penny for your thoughts.
To put your "two cents" in.
A necessity for penny pinchers
A handy screwdriver when nothing else is available.

Have a wonderful day!

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning!
Finally, sun and warmer weather, though we may get rain later. But a good day to get some garden work completed. I did go out yesterday evening and planted herb/lettuce seeds in pots. Made me feel like I accomplished something ...

Outside of that, not a lot going on. Did hear from a couple of friends, so that was nice. Seems very strange coming up on Memorial Day weekend with no Indy 500 qualifications or race to hear about, or listen to.

Dinner tonight will be pumpkin soup with either cornbread or biscuits. Last night was leftover chili, since neither one of us felt like dealing with takeout.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Jackielou wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:12 am
Clem, I just got an email from our church and more Mass times have been added on Sunday. We can have 10 people at each one of these Masses, so a grand total of about 80 people can attend Mass each week. Our provincial government still says no more than 10 people in a gathering. Our church probably holds close to 1,000 people so only having 10 in at a time will be strange. Hubby and I are considering our choices. We might wait until the next addition of people to the pews.
We are having it in the church hall since they can set up chairs far apart. Hard to do that with pews. Have to wear a mask and have to use hand sanitizer as you walk in.

Only families that are around each other daily can sit together. We have four masses and the last two on Sunday are starting later so everything can be wiped down.

I plan on going and sitting in the back. No communion for me. My friend that was going to go has changed her mind. She said Rachel Maddow scared her last night.

I told her - girl - you go to walmart, the mall, starbucks, other restaurants etc. Out and about almost daily - you could get it there too. I thought it was funny. We shall see how many show up

I know lots of the older members with health issues won't be attending. They will still have it on youtube.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

LogicsHere wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:12 am
Good morning all.

It's going to be on and off rain today, no big deal - no real plans anyway.

Think I will go through my dvds today and pick out a movie I haven't watched in a long time. I'm going to work on a few logic problems and play some computer games.

Tonight I'm having tacos. When I first make them, I have enough left over for 3 more times. Today will be the 3rd serving; I'll have one more left.

Today is "Lucky Penny Day". You've heard the saying "see a penny, pick it up, all the day you'll have good luck."

A penny doesn't buy anything and hasn't for quite some time. Remember going to the corner store and buying a handful of penny candy? There have been discussions on discontinuing the penny . . . but if they did, how would we ever pay the odd penny sales tax?

The penny still serves a very useful purpose... at least some of them are lucky. It takes only one lucky penny to scratch off the mega winner on a scratch-off ticket.

Are you superstitious? Superstition has it that you should only pick up a penny that is lying face up.

Here are some other uses for pennies:

A penny for your thoughts.
To put your "two cents" in.
A necessity for penny pinchers
A handy screwdriver when nothing else is available.

Have a wonderful day!
I ALWAYS pick up pennies, face up or face down.

I roll my pennies for the bank and as I’m rolling them I always look for wheat pennies and save them.

I once found an Indian Head penny in, of all places, McCarren Airport in Las Vegas. (I believe it is real. Can’t say for certain. I’d feel more confident if I had found it in New England.)

I still have my penny books from my childhood.

I’d be sad if they discontinued pennies. Canada has already discontinued pennies. They round up or round down for taxes. I have a container half full of Canadian pennies that I pulled out while rolling pennies over the years. Now they are obsolete.

Thank you, Logics, for your research and presentation of interesting days!

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Quiet day here. I’m definitely not going into stores, parks or beaches this weekend because I think there will be crowds. Plan to go to mom’s house tomorrow.

The only two items on my agenda today are filing and updating my financial notebook. I should not have to make changes until the Fall so need to get it done. Second I’m going to work on a 500-piece jigsaw puzzle I’ve had for a long time and have done several times. It’s the NYT front page with the Titanic disaster, April 16, 1912.

When we did FaceTime on Tuesday, my friend tried to include a “special guest,” a former co-worker who lives in Fort Lauderdale. She has an Apple computer but does not have an iPhone. It didn’t work. She can do a one-on-one but not a group. We tried several times this morning with the three of us but couldn’t get it to work. None of us are tech savvy. (I used to write a tech column. I had everyone fooled.)

Reading a blog and talking with friends who have grandchildren, I can see the whole home schooling while parents work at home is super stressful. I’ve read that some school districts are considering having kids go to physical school just one or several days a week this Fall and the rest would continue to be virtual. What an upheaval to society.

Have a good day.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I also pick up loose change! found a nickel yesterday.

I keep the wheat pennies too. That change adds up

I know people that THROW away their change. Isn't that wild!!