Daily Check-In May 25, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check-In May 25, 2020

Post by mbrudnic »

Good morning,
I woke up god-awful early and finally took some Ibuprofen and fell back asleep for a couple of hours. I am now back form the grocery and ready to sit at the sewing machine once I finished my coffee. I went to visit Mom and Dad yesterday after Mom texted. I took her some potato chips and canned fruit in heavy syrup. Mom is ready to tell DSisIL1 that they can start doing their own grocery shopping. They have been "sneaking out" as they say. They went to the favorite breakfast place about 7 yesterday and were on of three tables occupied. When I arrived, Mom was sitting on the back deck and had a mask with her. She said it was in case any of the neighbors stopped to talk. She's the medical person and the one talking in my ear all the time about being careful, so I think she'll make sure she and Dad stay safe.

Mom asked in I had heard from DSisIL2. She is starting a new job soon and the office is about 35-40 minutes south of me and they live 90 minutes north of me. I offered that she could stay here whenever. Mom indicated that she might take me up on that. I got the idea that she will do some work form home, but in the beginning she will need to be in the office at times. So since I am using my second bedroom as my office, when she is here, I might give her my bad and sleep in the the daybed in my office. It also gives me inspiration to push and finish the quilt so I can clean up my sewing mess. LOL.

Owned, prayers and best wished to your and your family. If I remember correctly, he was under Hospice care and then rallied. So glad you got extra time with him and I hope they were good times.

Thanks to Clem and any other service men and women here. And thanks to the families who also made and make sacrifices.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

The sun is shining today which is a lovely change from the dreary, gray days that came before. Still fairly chilly out though not as bad as the northern part of the province is (they had frost a couple of nights ago). I should be able to enjoy a short walk this morning and maybe even be able to hang up all the clothes and fabric on the lines outside. Love when clothing gets that fresh air smell. I don't even mind the crispness of the fabric off the lines. Saving electrical costs is also a big plus!!.

I haven't told you all about Shania as usually she gets better quite quickly when she gets sick and just felt that I have worried you all too much over the past while with her health. While I was gone she did fine for a day, but then got so she wouldn't eat, did not have a BM until the afternoon I came back, managed to throw up in every room of the house, and had trouble walking. The last couple of days she has been eating and having BM, however she is still pretty wobbly when walking and just is not the same cat. I have borrowed the pet crate from the neighbours daughter and will be making an appointment for the vet yet again. This time I am allowing Hubby to go by himself as he is more inclined to say what needs to be said. I don't want my baby in pain.

The day will be spent working on the regular Monday household tasks, not too sure if anything new will take place. I really would like to get started on next months menus. I do wish I knew exactly what days were going to be perfect for cooking outside, but as I don't I guess I will stick an outside cooking day or three willy nilly in the menu plan.

Hubby and I found out that his youngest brother has a job just north of the city in a small town. Of course as is usual we are always the last to find out any news in the family. This means he sold his house in one city and moved to another. I guess he has had this new job for about 3 or 4 months now. Hope he does okay with this one as he always seems to find something wrong with either the job or the people he works with. Though I think that this time he is the only one working in the establishment.

Frugally speaking I will be walking for my regular exercise, hanging clothes and prewashed fabric on the lines outside, cooking meals from scratch, using up what I already have, and substituting what I don't have. You know, pretty much the usual day on the old homestead.

Supper tonight is going to be soup and sandwiches. I made ham salad with a few slices of leftover roast ham yesterday and will be using that as my sandwich filling. Soup wise I am pulling out a container of the frozen condensed tomato soup and will be making that as well.

Today joy is in realizing even though I made a cup of tea instead of coffee with my machine I didn't mind it much at all.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

G'morning everyone. Owend, thinking of you. Littlemiss, hope you got some sleep this morning. I was up quite early - between the dogs needing to go out and the pain in my shoulder/arm, it was time. I got some better computer equipment from work so the pain should get better. Even tho I am left handed, it bothers me to use a "keyboard" mouse left handed - it really irritates my shoulder - so I got a "regular" mouse that I can easily use right handed. It will help a lot.

Dogs have been walked. Weather is perfection. I am going to forage for a snack and maybe have a little nap.

Enjoy the day.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Jackie, (((Hugs))) for you and Shania. Although my Pippi is doing OK right now, I often think it is a blessing in disguise that I’m unable to travel and Pippi has me with her every day.

It’s an overcast day here and supposedly we have an 80% chance of rain plus 50% most days the rest of the week. Yesterday I did quite a bit in mom’s yard. Because it was overcast I trimmed both ixora in the front which are usually in direct sun. They weren’t bad but I figured I wouldn’t miss this opportunity. Then I trimmed the hibiscus and yellow allamanda on the side. It is amazing that the few days of rain so far really made them grow. Mostly I trimmed one hibiscus and one allamanda that had grown into each other a lot. I still need to trim one of the allamanda a lot but I’ll need the step stool and a good hour. I also cut up five big palm fronds from the neighbor’s trees. One had fallen behind the hibiscus (a common occurrence), one on top of the hibiscus and three I pulled down because I could see they were dead and would fall soon.

I finished my online class on Royal Fashion and signed up for one on working in the textile mills in the 19th century. The class is organized through a university in Scotland and run through FutureLearn. My great grandparents worked in the textile mills in Wiltshire in England before emigrating to Massachusetts.

Quiet day here. Thinking of all the service people who gave their lives for our freedom.

Stay safe.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackie, there is a fake post right above my post. Someone copied part of Logic’s post verbatim. So strange.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Jackie, I am sorry to hear about your kitty's downturn. What a wonderful life she has had with your family. (((Hugs)))

I am being a little lazy this morning. Yesterday I managed the monumental task of cleaning out and organizing my little desk and two and a half drawer filing cabinet. How such small things could hold so much crap is a mystery! I can see why people just buy another filing cabinet and call it good.

I still have a small box filled with desk odds and ends -- a box of favorite pens, binder clips, good scissors, a stapler, push pins, a bottle of Tylenol, etc. that I will take to my next job, since one never knows what will be available. This has been my habit for my last four or five jobs and has served me well.

We still have leftovers for supper, and it's too hot to cook anything special, unless we do hot dogs and chips with ice cream for dessert.
Mackie