Daily check in June 3, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in June 3, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Frugal mid day post.

A lot of shopping done and food in the cold, clean freezer. Feels good. Really does. I actually do price comparisons when shopping. Many stores offer you the option, price per ounce. etc. Use squinting eyes to see it. Some do not, like Winn Dixie on meats and then I have to calculate that with my old brain. Annoying and not always perfect. Save a lot was always a "poor man's store", but now it is just a poor store. So many bare shelves and poorly stocked. I wanted to get a roll of ground beef and maybe a meat discount. Nothing. Still, we frugals, hunt for the opportunities. Their eggs were cheaper than Walmart market, so I got 18. A lot were broken. I had to eye it to find a good carton. With my eyes that was a challenge. But they had some pollack fish at a great price. Hubs is going to be eating a lot of fish in the next few weeks.

My...... I have no idea what I was going to say. Hub brought in his summer quilt and announced that "it didn't work". Sometimes you need to fold things in thirds.not halves. Why do I feel like I am in a "Mom,it didn't work episode"???

Well, I successfully drilled the proper opening in the rain barrel and we will see if it was successful in terms of water transportation.Meanwhile my neighbor wanted a plant a young oak. I pointed out a good one in my yard. His for free of course. Such a busy neighborhood. Life is good.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

DGFlorida, is the pollock a local fish there? Fish here has been too high to do more than look at. I went out to buy canned fish for Lily Dog and wound up getting Polish-caught sardines to supplement some canned salmon in the cupboard.

Lily did eat her homemade hypo-allergenic meal, so I bought the ingredients to make another batch of food and a bag of whole grain rice cakes for a treat for her.

I think Homeless Buddy and I are going to have to make a trip to find the United Grocery Outlet when his food stamps renew next Thursday. He ran short again this past month and we have to find a way to stretch his food money. The UGO is quite a way from my house, but apparently some major deals can be had there.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:09 pm DGFlorida, is the pollock a local fish there? Fish here has been too high to do more than look at. I went out to buy canned fish for Lily Dog and wound up getting Polish-caught sardines to supplement some canned salmon in the cupboard.

Lily did eat her homemade hypo-allergenic meal, so I bought the ingredients to make another batch of food and a bag of whole grain rice cakes for a treat for her.

I think Homeless Buddy and I are going to have to make a trip to find the United Grocery Outlet when his food stamps renew next Thursday. He ran short again this past month and we have to find a way to stretch his food money. The UGO is quite a way from my house, but apparently some major deals can be had there.
Is HB getting a supplement to his food stamps? I think that they were supposed to increase all by a couple hundred dollars? Due to increased prices of meat etc
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Dgflorida wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:23 pm Frugal mid day post.

A lot of shopping done and food in the cold, clean freezer. Feels good. Really does. I actually do price comparisons when shopping. Many stores offer you the option, price per ounce. etc. Use squinting eyes to see it. Some do not, like Winn Dixie on meats and then I have to calculate that with my old brain. Annoying and not always perfect. Save a lot was always a "poor man's store", but now it is just a poor store. So many bare shelves and poorly stocked. I wanted to get a roll of ground beef and maybe a meat discount. Nothing. Still, we frugals, hunt for the opportunities. Their eggs were cheaper than Walmart market, so I got 18. A lot were broken. I had to eye it to find a good carton. With my eyes that was a challenge. But they had some pollack fish at a great price. Hubs is going to be eating a lot of fish in the next few weeks.

My...... I have no idea what I was going to say. Hub brought in his summer quilt and announced that "it didn't work". Sometimes you need to fold things in thirds.not halves. Why do I feel like I am in a "Mom,it didn't work episode"???

Well, I successfully drilled the proper opening in the rain barrel and we will see if it was successful in terms of water transportation.Meanwhile my neighbor wanted a plant a young oak. I pointed out a good one in my yard. His for free of course. Such a busy neighborhood. Life is good.
Use the calculator on your phone. You won't even get strange looks like you would using a regular claculator.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Mrscreative wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:03 pm Use the calculator on your phone. You won't even get strange looks like you would using a regular calculator.
And perhaps invest in an inexpensive pair of reading glasses from the drug store. My dh bought a pair and it makes a world of difference with fine print.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Hi All,
Beautiful day here. My veg garden is looking really good! DH and I spend most of our time outdoors..always something to be pruned or plucked!