How is your income doing?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: How is your income doing?

Post by frugalmom »

ohjodi wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:08 pm Your child receives SS benefits until the age of 18.

Also, until the child is 16, YOU would also receive what's called "child in care" benefit each month.

When my sister's ex-husband died, her son got $1100/mo until he was 18, and she got $1100/mo until he was 16.....but she remarried when he was 15, and she no longer got the child in care benefit because of that.

When you reach your own retirement age, after having received widows benefits, you will get either your husbands, or your own, social security benefit, whichever one is higher.

Go to the social security website, and sign in to see your social security benefits statement, and also sign in for your husband. It will tell you how much you and your child will get if either of you passes away.

https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.action
Thank you!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

itspennyc wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:16 pm Frugal Mom you would get social security for your youngest until he is 18. You could also get it until he is 14.

I also collected social security on my late husband when I was 60, I couldn't get a job because of my hand problems.

My mom collected it until each of us was 23. But President Reagan ended that.

Penny
Thank you! Like for orphans or foster kids that are turned out by 18 yo, I cannot imagine at 18 yo. Even though I worked two jobs back then at least I lived with my uncle and did not have to pay rent! I feel for those kids and at least for those kids they should have kept payments to them til 23 yo!
snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

Well we lost a third of our income but not due to covid. I still work full time so I bring in the majority of our funds.