Five Tips for Newbies

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Five Tips for Newbies

Post by MackerelCat »

Patty, mine with my son as well, who thinks he can wear short sleeves and go barefoot year round. I have found the AC and the gas fire both running with him home!
Mackie

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Okay, here are a couple more.

Find - or rediscover - a hobby that does not cost money. For example, I used to love to do calligraphy. I pulled out my book and a pen last week and sat down to work on it. I had a nice cup of tea (my vice is coffee) and whiled away a good 30-45 minutes practicing calligraphy. It was a nice break from all the humdrum, and it made my brain work in a way it hasn't worked in awhile - which I'm told is a good way to stave off dementia. Also, I have tried (and failed) a few times to learn to knit and/or crochet. I still have the yarn and needles in a bag in my closet. That would be another thing I could try my hand at, rather than being bored and potentially spending money on a new pastime.

Save your change. My DH hates carrying change. He usually puts his change in a wooden box on our dresser. I go behind and drop it into a big jar. I used to love carrying change (I'm such a nerd - I take some weird pleasure out of having exact change), but because of my neck issues, I don't carry much either. So whenever my purse gets heavy, I deposit mine in the jar as well. Over a year, this can add up to a good amount of money. We usually cash it in and use it on our vacation, but I know some folks use it for Christmas or to cover an unexpected cost, etc.
Patty

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Chocolite, sad to say I am like your usband in cold weather (although in warm I keep the air at around 78). I am darned if I am gonna walk around bundled up like I belong outside. I keep my winter heat at 72 to 74 depending.
http://richlyretired.blogspot.com

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

chocolite wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:32 pm

Find - or rediscover - a hobby that does not cost money. For example, I used to love to do calligraphy. I pulled out my book and a pen last week and sat down to work on it. I had a nice cup of tea (my vice is coffee) and whiled away a good 30-45 minutes practicing calligraphy. It was a nice break from all the humdrum, and it made my brain work in a way it hasn't worked in awhile - which I'm told is a good way to stave off dementia. Also, I have tried (and failed) a few times to learn to knit and/or crochet. I still have the yarn and needles in a bag in my closet. That would be another thing I could try my hand at, rather than being bored and potentially spending money on a new pastime.

Save your change. My DH hates carrying change. He usually puts his change in a wooden box on our dresser. I go behind and drop it into a big jar. I used to love carrying change (I'm such a nerd - I take some weird pleasure out of having exact change), but because of my neck issues, I don't carry much either. So whenever my purse gets heavy, I deposit mine in the jar as well. Over a year, this can add up to a good amount of money. We usually cash it in and use it on our vacation, but I know some folks use it for Christmas or to cover an unexpected cost, etc.
I like your idea of finding or rediscovering a hobby that doesn’t cost money. I’ve enjoyed doing jigsaw puzzles during the pandemic but I’m down to my last one and I’m saving it. They are SO expensive right now on Amazon because they are in demand. That is why I’ve decided to instead pull out my needlepoint and cross stitch kits. I have knitting supplies, too. All free and lots to keep me busy. Your calligraphy sounds so nice.

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

chocolite wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:32 pm

Patty, if you are having trouble learning to knit, I suggest you go to YouTube and just type in Learn to Beginner Knit and all kinds of video's will come up. I could never learn to either knit or crochet until I discovered those Video's and I learned. Now, I'm no expert by any means, but I have learned enough to knit dishcloths (Love Knited Dishcloths)and to understand a pattern in doing different designs. I enjoy it thoroughly and I have some lovely dishcloths in my kitchen drawers and some nice hand towels that I've done. It's not that expensive a hobby and they bring me joy when I use them.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Goodwill online has some good prices on puzzles, but they are auctions, so you have to not get caught up in acquisition fever and bail out when the bidding goes too high.
Mackie