Five Tips for Newbies

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Five Tips for Newbies

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:37 pm
Goodwill online has some good prices on puzzles, but they are auctions, so you have to not get caught up in acquisition fever and bail out when the bidding goes too high.
Thanks for the tip! I haven’t looked at Goodwill online in years. I had pretty much forgotten about them. I did a quick search and saw several lots of 3 or 4 puzzles for $11 or less total (so far) for all of them plus the shipping estimates came out to be about $10. I’m going to keep watching this site. Thanks again.

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

littlemiss63 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:29 pm
Patty, if you are having trouble learning to knit, I suggest you go to YouTube and just type in Learn to Beginner Knit and all kinds of video's will come up. I could never learn to either knit or crochet until I discovered those Video's and I learned. Now, I'm no expert by any means, but I have learned enough to knit dishcloths (Love Knited Dishcloths)and to understand a pattern in doing different designs. I enjoy it thoroughly and I have some lovely dishcloths in my kitchen drawers and some nice hand towels that I've done. It's not that expensive a hobby and they bring me joy when I use them.
I definitely need to do this. Books just aren't cutting for me. I am a slow learner, though, and would hate to fall behind in a group. But with youtube I'd be able to back it up and rewatch what I needed. Thanks for the suggestion.
Patty

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

chocolite wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:38 pm
I definitely need to do this. Books just aren't cutting for me. I am a slow learner, though, and would hate to fall behind in a group. But with youtube I'd be able to back it up and rewatch what I needed. Thanks for the suggestion.
That was the way I am. I need to look at something sometimes over and over and this is perfect for that. This is the link that I learned from and she's in my bookmarks and I can refer back if I have forgotten something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4IGlgggvaw

Just copy and paste that link into your browser and have fun learning.

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

That looks perfect! And it's big enough for these old eyes to see it. :D I've bookmarked it for future use. Thanks much!
Patty

Carol V

Post by Carol V »

This is a great thread and I just finished reading the whole thing. Some very good idreas! I have been 'black belt frugal' for so long it's just habit now. For years my income has not let me be UNfrugal and now it's even more important. I am working with my niece to get her on the right track. She gave me a list of all her expenses and she other things that are definitely priorities, like tires for her car, windshield repair, car registration and stuff like that. She has the income now and can do it. First thing is she gives me 10% of her take home pay and I put it in MY savings account where she can't touch it. She has also started keeping track of everything she spends on every day. I told her she'd be surprised how much and how fast it adds up. She is! No more fast food, for one. This house is FULL of food and she's welcome to any of it. I have dinner ready by 5:00 so she just has to be here. No more Starbucks, convenience store junk food or sodas, etc. etc.. She has even quit smoking. She'll be fine.

I told her the first word she has to learn is "NO!" unless it's an actual need and she knows the difference between a want and a need. I've said no for so many years my wants are a long gone memory. lol The other day I figured out I have not bought one single thing for myself, including clothes and shoes, in over TWO years! I only have the money for bills and needs. No such thing as discretionary spending for me. I got a $100 gift card from DirecTV when I signed up and promised myself I'd get something just for ME. I didn't. Ended up spending it on stuff I needed for the house. Sigh.