Warning: Political

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Warning: Political

Post by floridacatlover »

Trump raised an amazing $131 million in the second quarter ended June 30.
BUT ... Joe Biden raised more! $141 million. Fist pump. Go Joe! It makes me happy that I made my recent donation.
Now, a group of former George W Bush appointees has set up a PAC to raise money for Biden.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Wow. My SIL whom I love like a sister just posted a FB meme that said:

I've always wondered why liberals are referred to as the left and conservatives as the right. Then I found this Bible verse: "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." (Ecclesiastes 10:2)

Several of my family members have already liked the post (including DH). This. This right here is my life. They would label me a "fool" and "evil." [sigh]
Patty
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

chocolite wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:01 pm Wow. My SIL whom I love like a sister just posted a FB meme that said:

I've always wondered why liberals are referred to as the left and conservatives as the right. Then I found this Bible verse: "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." (Ecclesiastes 10:2)

Several of my family members have already liked the post (including DH). This. This right here is my life. They would label me a "fool" and "evil." [sigh]
I'm so sorry and you're DEFINITELY NOT a fool or evil. I won't tell you what I think of that type of Christian thinking except for the fact that they're hypocrites if the follow Trump. You can tell her that you showed that reference to another Christian friend and she wrote this:

Not everything that occurs in life comes from the bible nor can it be explained by the bible. That bible reference refers to the following of "GOD". If one follows God, you are on the right and if you don't you are on the left. The biblical reference has absolutely nothing to do with politics. The origin of the political left and right actually pertain to the actual physical directions of left and right.

Left and right was the designated seating positions relative to the Speaker in the 1789 French National Assembly, the parliament France formed after the French Revolution.

Relative to the viewpoint of the speaker (chair) of this assembly, to the right were seated nobility and more high-ranking religious leaders. To the left were seated commoners and less powerful clergy. The right-hand side (called le côté droit in French) became associated with more reactionary views (more pro-aristocracy) and the left-hand side (le côté gauche) with more radical views (more pro-middle class).
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Logics,
I just want to say a big Thank You for your careful, insightful explanation.
It will be a huge help to me...
JCKitty
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

LogicsHere wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:15 pm I'm so sorry and you're DEFINITELY NOT a fool or evil. I won't tell you what I think of that type of Christian thinking except for the fact that they're hypocrites if the follow Trump. You can tell her that you showed that reference to another Christian friend and she wrote this:

Not everything that occurs in life comes from the bible nor can it be explained by the bible. That bible reference refers to the following of "GOD". If one follows God, you are on the right and if you don't you are on the left. The biblical reference has absolutely nothing to do with politics. The origin of the political left and right actually pertain to the actual physical directions of left and right.

Left and right was the designated seating positions relative to the Speaker in the 1789 French National Assembly, the parliament France formed after the French Revolution.

Relative to the viewpoint of the speaker (chair) of this assembly, to the right were seated nobility and more high-ranking religious leaders. To the left were seated commoners and less powerful clergy. The right-hand side (called le côté droit in French) became associated with more reactionary views (more pro-aristocracy) and the left-hand side (le côté gauche) with more radical views (more pro-middle class).
Wow, I love that detailed historical explanation. I never knew that and it's so interesting! As for responding to her post, I won't do that. My peace of mind is more important than the blowback. It would be virtually everyone in my family vs. me, and I just can't stomach it. So I scroll on by...

But the world has turned upside down, hasn't it??? Now Trump is calling the coronavirus a hoax.
Patty
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

chocolite wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:18 pm Wow, I love that detailed historical explanation. I never knew that and it's so interesting! As for responding to her post, I won't do that. My peace of mind is more important than the blowback. It would be virtually everyone in my family vs. me, and I just can't stomach it. So I scroll on by...

But the world has turned upside down, hasn't it??? Now Trump is calling the coronavirus a hoax.
Is there any way you can stay off your family's facebook pages right now, till we're through the end of the year and avoid conversations with them regarding politics? I had to make changes in my own personal behavior to help me get through this otherwise I'd be going NUTS. After reading the online stories, I'd start reading the comments and the things people wrote were driving me absolutely crazy.

I'm a middle of the roader when it comes to politics wanting the best of BOTH worlds. I do listen to You Tube videos of a couple of progressives and they will tell you that trying to change the mind of a Trump cultist is impossible which is scary.

Living alone I at least have the advantage of not having to live with someone who believes the opposite of what I do, but even if I did, I would definitely have to avoid the subject all together just agreeing to not agree with each other. I'm thankful that my sister leans the same way as I do, not in everything, but she doesn't like Trump any more than I do.

I don't think Trump ever stopped believing the coronavirus being a hoax. The only thing that will change his mind is if he or one of his family come down with it and not asymptomatically like the son's girlfriend.