Daily check in June 23, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
chocolite

Re: Daily check in June 23, 2020

Post by chocolite »

LogicsHere wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:01 am
My sister and I had a more serious conversation yesterday about her plans for the future including the probability of her eventually coming back up north to live with me. She does have plans to see if she can make it on her own for awhile, 2 maybe 3 years (maybe longer, who knows - - - we could hit a big lottery :)), and I think she should try if she can as it will help her feel better about herself. But I know she doesn't want to end up working forever and that's really the only way she could stay afloat unless she moves into senior housing which still is pretty costly even in Florida and not that much less per month than what she is paying now, maybe about $200 a month. And then there's the car payment of $300/mo that she has for at least another year. And then there's the loneliness factor. My sister has never lived alone and she's having a hard time of it right now. I try to support her by telling her what she's feeling is normal and that it will get easier to handle with time. Whether she does or not, however, will be up to her. She's also been talking about participating in some of her community's activities once they come back from this "virus" thing. She asked a neighbor she's friendly with and their management said planned activities won't resume yet as people don't want to be responsible about it. What also hurts her is that she has absolutely no interests. She'll "play" on the computer a bit but other than that nothing.

Her daughter can't help her, she lives in her own little "bubble" and can't take care of herself or her son without help. And my sister's son "might" help, but I don't think she would ask him especially since he has to build a future for himself as well since he's, divorced 3 years, and 47 now and just getting started planning for retirement. She did say she wished my place was larger, and I over the years have wished it as well, but we lived in 4 small rooms with our parents growing up. We had even shared a bedroom with our parents until I was 13 when they moved into the living room with sofa beds. We grew up with very little. If we need to do it again, we can.

As for her temperment, I know it has a lot to do with the life she's had and a ton of continual stress basically due to the lack of money. But take away the money problems and I think she'd be OK. Would it be easy, especially since I've lived alone most of my life, yes and no. But I'm far more flexible than my sister so I think it could balance itself out to a point. Anyway I had pretty much expected there could very well be a possibility that she might end up together again. Now knowing that it's slightly more than a 50/50 chance I can gradually prepare myself and my apartment for it.
Logics, mad respect for you as you contemplate living with your sister. My sister and I are complete opposites in absolutely everything. Her favorite thing is watching Hallmark movies and Fox News at a very loud volume. I truly cannot fathom living with her.
Patty

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

littlemiss63 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:11 pm
Good Morning Everyone,

I feel so good today, finally a decent night of sleep. I think the hot bathes are helping as much as anything to relax me. When I worked I always took a bath at night, but had gone to mornings after retiring. Anyway, I will make any changes in my routine if it will help me get back to a good nights sleep.

The sun is shining beautifully this morning after a night of rain. The positive thing I have to say about that is that the yards are just lush. I was thinking about my neighbor who is putting in the swimming pool, that she's probably got a hole full of water today. I don't know much about putting one in, but I read that the cost will normally run anywhere from $45,000 - $85,000. To me that is a lot of money to spend for something you only use in the summer. I have plenty of room to put one in, but have never had a desire to have one. I have a friend that has one and I know she's always talking about how expensive the upkeep is. When you get old you have to hire someone to help you open it, then close it and whatever comes in between.

I have a pretty busy day planned. My son-in-law wants to try ribs from a new place instead of cooking steaks tonight and that is fine with me. This is his Father's Day celebration and he gets to choose. The ribs will fit in just fine with the sides I had planned. We are having corn on the cob, tossed salad, creamed potatoes, hot rolls and peach cobbler/with vanilla ice cream. I made my peach cobbler filling last night and will do the crust an hour or so before they arrive. I will be making my dough for the rolls as soon as I finish this post. It was all I could do to not get me a bowl of the peaches and eat alone last night, but I needed them to make the size of cobbler I wanted. I always bake my fresh peaches before making a cobbler and the nutmeg and cinnamon along with those fresh peaches made my kitchen smell so good. I was able to also freeze 24 of them and will put out the remaining ones from the crisper today so I can finish doing the rest of them tomorrow.

Jackie, on these new cars you will be reading that manual for months and never find out everything. I had a very nice salesman who sat in the car the day I bought mine and went over what each button was for. However, I got the jest of it and was able to drive it off the lot. LOL There are so many wonderful features until I don't know which one is my favorite. I think I would have to say, probably being able to start it from inside the house so that it's warm or cool before I ever step outside the door. That was just a marvel to me. Being able to open/close my garage door from a button on my mirror and talk on my phone from my steering wheel would be next. GPS rates in there too. I would never own another car without a GPS.

I have to share a cute story. I have a delightful friend who was a first grade school teacher for 50 years. She bought a new car with all the gadgets and one day her phone system wouldn't work. She got in the car, wanted to make a call and the darn thing wouldn't work. She took it to the car dealership and told her salesman, "something is wrong with the phone system it's not letting me make a call". He said, "Mrs G give me your phone and let me see what I can do to fix this". She said, "my phone is at home, I don't have it with me". He tried to keep a straight face, but he told her, "the phone system want work unless you have the actual phone in the car that hooks up electronically with bluetooth." She said, she had never been so embarrassed in her life. She went home, got her phone, placed it her purse and hasn't had any problem since. She thought that once he programmed her phone into the system that was it. Us old ones, live and learn.

Ok, I'm off to get everything ready for this evening. Just praying it want rain so we can enjoy eating on the patio. It can be a little cool so we can have a fire in the firepit, ok if we can't lite one up, but would be nice. I love it when all my backyard neighbors have theirs going and in the darkness you can see them burning. There are four of us who's property joins and we have large open lawns, so it's very enjoyable to watch those glow along with yours. Being alone, I enjoy the sounds of their laughter as it drifts over to me.

Everyone, have a wonderful safe day.
Our salesman did the same thing, but it was hard to see which button he was pressing to talk to the radio and GPS. We would never be without command start anymore. Getting into a cold vehicle in the winter is the worst. I loved the Bluetooth feature in both of our last two vehicles and being able to have the computer read a text to me was wonderful. Love that this one has that feature as well.

I am going to have to take the manual and sit in the vehicle and check out all the buttons.

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Good afternoon, all. It's a quite warm and cloudy day here - very humid. I did our watering a little while ago and hurt my back. So I am walking crooked yet again. I'm worthless. :|

I need a true sun-loving flowering plant I can put in a hanging basket (actually two). The two that I have (petunia and something else I can't remember) look awful. They're at the front corner of our house next to the driveway. They get sun pretty much all day long. On hot days (pretty much every day) we water them twice a day, and I was deadheading the petunia as needed, but they still look all dried up and dead. I think I need to do some research. This is the first year in many years that I felt like doing some containers and, on days like today, I think I may have done too much. I have a total of seven, with one big on on the porch.

Today is a no drive no spend day. I saw a shirt that said "I was practicing social distancing before it was cool" and it made me chuckle. That is me, for sure. I think I could live in a cabin away from people and be happy, as long as I had internet and grocery delivery, lol. Sort of like the Burgess Meredith character on a Twilight Zone episode: "Time Enough At Last."

I think I'll pull out a couple b/s chicken breasts and do those in my instant pot. Maybe barbecue? Along with a couple sides. Something quick and easy.

Awhile back DH got me this fan you wear around your neck and it's brilliant. I got hot while watering and put this on for a few minutes. You can aim it where you want. Mine is usually aimed at the back of my neck. Whoever invented it is a genius.
Patty

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

chocolite wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:02 pm
Good afternoon, all. It's a quite warm and cloudy day here - very humid. I did our watering a little while ago and hurt my back. So I am walking crooked yet again. I'm worthless. :|

I need a true sun-loving flowering plant I can put in a hanging basket (actually two). The two that I have (petunia and something else I can't remember) look awful. They're at the front corner of our house next to the driveway. They get sun pretty much all day long. On hot days (pretty much every day) we water them twice a day, and I was deadheading the petunia as needed, but they still look all dried up and dead. I think I need to do some research. This is the first year in many years that I felt like doing some containers and, on days like today, I think I may have done too much. I have a total of seven, with one big one on the porch.

Today is a no drive no spend day. I saw a shirt that said "I was practicing social distancing before it was cool" and it made me chuckle. That is me, for sure. I think I could live in a cabin away from people and be happy, as long as I had internet and grocery delivery, lol. Sort of like the Burgess Meredith character on a Twilight Zone episode: "Time Enough At Last."

I think I'll pull out a couple b/s chicken breasts and do those in my instant pot. Maybe barbecue? Along with a couple sides. Something quick and easy.

Awhile back DH got me this fan you wear around your neck and it's brilliant. I got hot while watering and put this on for a few minutes. You can aim it where you want. Mine is usually aimed at the back of my neck. Whoever invented it is a genius.
Last edited by chocolite on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patty

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Jackielou wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:40 pm
Our salesman did the same thing, but it was hard to see which button he was pressing to talk to the radio and GPS. We would never be without command start anymore. Getting into a cold vehicle in the winter is the worst. I loved the Bluetooth feature in both of our last two vehicles and being able to have the computer read a text to me was wonderful. Love that this one has that feature as well.

I am going to have to take the manual and sit in the vehicle and check out all the buttons.
That is a good idea. It really is fun to find out what all the buttons are for. I also love the fact that I can charge my phone, finally remembered to put a cord in there permanently so I could do that if I needed to. Just enjoy the heck out of it.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Afternoon all,
Had my big outing today - pedicure. It feels so odd when I am out and about. Used all precautions of course- masks, hand sanitizer 3 times, etc. Came home and got a sirloin tip roast going in the crock pot. Hubs is golfing so now I am just sitting and enjoying few moments of alone time.

Will be puttering around I hope. Lord knows I have a ton of work to do but so often I don't do anything. I have got to shake this malaise that has taken over my life.

Logics - I hope you will think long and hard at all possible alternatives before you take in your sister. That will be a life changing proposition for you. And you will have no way to remove yourself from the drama. You are such a kind good person - but maybe be a little kind to yourself.

Jackie - I carried my car book with me like a missionary with a bible for 2 years. There are still things I don't understand - but honestly I think it is the bells and whistles that make a car fun. My best story was that it started raining & I didn't know how to turn the wipers on or off. So while I was sitting in the driveway, searching through the book, they turned on automatically. Turns out the car had rain sensors. For 3 second interval, I thought it was reading my mind. Who knows that may be next.

Have a good frugal day all

Be well,
CG