Daily check in July 2, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in July 2, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all. Let's get started.

Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in July 2, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

Grass is mowed. The tree trimming I did earlier this week is out front to be picked up and I have cleared all the way to the old beach. Once the load of trimmings are gone, I will start cutting the next load.

Yesterday was pretty productive and today should be also. Shopping was successful although there is still evidence of supply chain problems for many store. Empty shelves. We are still looking at heat indexes around 110F and that makes outside work very exhausting. So I stayed in yesterday afternoon and caught up on repair sewing. The ac only comes on occasionally thanks to our big oak trees, excellent insulation and temperature set at 84F. Our meter should be remotely read today and I hope to have a reduced kWh level from last year this month. Know in a week or so. Even if it is the same, with this record breaking heat, it will be a savings. Saving money feel frugal good.

I saw my recently released from the hospital neighbor outside yesterday. Had a brief talk with her. I wanted her to know that the cactus she wanted me to take.(insisted, actually) survived and has new growth. However, it was clear that she is still hurting badly. She said they are eliminating more plants, so she will have less trimming to do. It looks like this trip to the hospital really knocked her down. Many of us in the neighborhood felt that she had been pushing herself too hard for quite awhile. She has endured so much with her spinal deterioration and associated pain and now her bowels are deteriorating. I am so sad for her.

Today, normal watering and transplanting. Some ac maintenance and up on the ladder to continue putting up the curtain rod over the big window. Normal cooking all meals outside to reduce house heat load. No shopping, no appointments. Just a great day to be retired.

Today, I am grateful for my many blessings. Have a good day all.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

I did wake up once in the middle of the night, but my back pain was not excruciating. Then, my blood sugar was much better this morning. But my dinner was low carb, spaghetti squash with shrimp and a Parmesan cream sauce. So between that and my 35 minute walk, I know what I need to do between now and when I meet with my Primary Physician.

The space is cleared for the delivery of my couch. If I decide that my chair needs to go, Maybe I will ask my brother, who is coming to town Saturday, to stop by and help me get it into the dumpster. I don't think this easy chair is 10 years old, but it is heavy, especially for an IKEA chair. I put a hole int he seat cushion upholstery, I think by tucking my foot up under me when I was wearing sandals with a buckle that would get caught.

My other brother, the one who lives a hop, skip and a jump form Mom and Dad's lost his consulting job. According to Mom, he is looking into buying a company and has his eye on one in Colorado. So DB & DSIL could very well be moving. I don't see them as much as I'd like. DSIL seems to have anxiety issues, but I am sad to see them go so far away. But DB2, who is currently about 90 minutes away will probably be moving closer since DSIL2 has a new job about 30-40 minutes from me. Makes me glad I did not decide to buy DDIL's Grandmother's Condo. I will be the closest to Mom and Dad's.

HAve a great day,
Maggie

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello friends.

I’m up somewhat early because I have an appointment for a haircut. I could wait on the haircut but I want to support my hairdresser. I don’t want her to go out of business.

Later I’ll go to mom’s house. I already have a good half bag of clippings in the back yard so should be able to fill it for tomorrow’s trash even with this heat. I like to go later in the day on Thursday in hopes the free newspaper will be there to pick up.

If you have an AMEX card, they are offering a $5 credit on a $10 purchase to a small business. There is a map of participating small businesses for your area on the AMEX website. You can do this up to 10 times, so $50 credit, through Sept. 20 I think. I saw this on a financial website a few days ago and got an email yesterday. I have the lowest AMEX card, the one that is free.

I watched ‘Catch Me If You Can’ last night. It is free on the Roku channel this month (with a few commercials) and also free on IMDB. I saw it when it was released back in 2002 but enjoyed it again. Only 2/3 through did it dawn on me that the story of Frank Abagnale Jr. involves forged checks, just like George Floyd, but with a very different outcome.

I’m hoping we get rain this weekend. Public fireworks have been cancelled because of Covid19 but I think they’ve loosened the restrictions on private fireworks. I think that is what I’ve heard. I hate when people set off fireworks close to my house - so rain would be good. 🙂

Have a good day.

snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

Morning yall!

Up early here. I woke up with a headache so I'm nursing some coffee and ate some leftovers before work. Today's one of my longer shifts so I'll be working from 11 am to 12 am today. Frugrality wise I will be packing my own lunch, not going to the store on my break, getting my steps in during working hours, and once my residents are asleep I'll work on homework. I also charge my phone and laptop while I'm there because they are needed for work so I don't have to charge them at home. Saves a little on electricity here. If I do want something different from what I brought with me, my work provides a fully stocked kitchen lol. Dh will be at home with the kids he no longer works due to medical reasons. Ds just had his four year check up. He is 90 percentile for height and 82 percentile for weight. Otherwise very healthy toddler. Fingers are crossed for him to get into preschool this year, they have offered him a free spot if he does due to DHS military disabled vet status. So I should be hearing soon. Ds is a teen, since shes working shes out of the house more. She bought some of her school stuff already to put up. We planned out her budget and so far shes sticking to it. Shes fully listed out what she wants and we detailed everything so she should be good.

Wishing yall a good day

Snowangel

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

mbrudnic wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:30 am
Good Morning,

I did wake up once in the middle of the night, but my back pain was not excruciating. Then, my blood sugar was much better this morning. But my dinner was low carb, spaghetti squash with shrimp and a Parmesan cream sauce. So between that and my 35 minute walk, I know what I need to do between now and when I meet with my Primary Physician.

The space is cleared for the delivery of my couch. If I decide that my chair needs to go, Maybe I will ask my brother, who is coming to town Saturday, to stop by and help me get it into the dumpster. I don't think this easy chair is 10 years old, but it is heavy, especially for an IKEA chair. I put a hole int he seat cushion upholstery, I think by tucking my foot up under me when I was wearing sandals with a buckle that would get caught.

My other brother, the one who lives a hop, skip and a jump form Mom and Dad's lost his consulting job. According to Mom, he is looking into buying a company and has his eye on one in Colorado. So DB & DSIL could very well be moving. I don't see them as much as I'd like. DSIL seems to have anxiety issues, but I am sad to see them go so far away. But DB2, who is currently about 90 minutes away will probably be moving closer since DSIL2 has a new job about 30-40 minutes from me. Makes me glad I did not decide to buy DDIL's Grandmother's Condo. I will be the closest to Mom and Dad's.

HAve a great day,
Maggie
I’m glad that you didn’t buy DDIL’s grandmothers condo. When you said it didn’t have a garage I felt it would be a bad choice for you given your winter weather. It’s so nice that you have a garage with your apartment. I remember not having a garage when I lived in Virginia and we got snow.

Even here in Florida I don’t have a garage but I’m SO happy I have an attached carport that protects my car from the heat. When I leave my car in the driveway at mom’s house (garage is a mess), it is brutal when I get in it.